What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Melbourne, ANZ Stadium, 7.45pm Friday 13th Sep (QF1)

gallagher

Juniors
90% sure it will be Friday 27th.

Because our opponent will be the winner of 'Loser of Easts/Manly v Winner of Sharks/NQ', and that semi will be on Friday (the NRL has already confirmed it).

Cheers mate. I hope thats the case. I'm over from Perth that weekend but busy on the Sat. A tigers fan but love my league and love Souths this year. knocking Manly out would be sweet.

southsport

First Grade
Great effort by the boys, best defence I've seen from them. The storm had too many errors in the first half.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Nothing too flash tonight but that how to beat Melbourne. We beat Melbourne at their own game. Highlight of the night was the defence. Best defensive effort of the year.

History beckons Bunnies as Storm face sudden-death
BY:STUART HONEYSETT From: The Australian September 14, 2013 12:00AM

Rabbitohs fullback Greg Inglis celebrates South Sydney's 20-10 victory over the Melbourne Storm at ANZ Stadium. Source: Getty Images
SOUTH Sydney buried one hoodoo last night. It is now only two games away from burying an even larger one that stretches back 42 years.

The Rabbitohs drew first blood in the finals series against Melbourne at ANZ Stadium to earn themselves a week off. The Storm will live to fight another day and host the winner of Sunday's elimination final between Canterbury and Newcastle.

"We've got a good opportunity to get our preparation right and that's going to be our biggest focus over these next two weeks," Souths coach Michael Maguire said. "We're going to go into our next 80 minutes and we want to make sure we play the way we did tonight, if not better."

Make no mistake, this was a big result for Souths. The foundation club has a woeful record against the Storm - it hadn't beaten Melbourne since 2010 and until last night had only won three games from 22 attempts - and wasn't favoured to turn things around last night.

Digital Pass $1
Now the Rabbitohs will be playing in a preliminary final and are only one win away from playing their first grand final since 1971. Long-suffering Souths fans will be hoping history repeats itself as that was also the last time the club won a premiership.

The Rabbitohs led 14-0 at halftime on the back of some tenacious defence to deny one of the most potent attacking units.

"Our defence was much improved," Maguire said.

"I thought the boys, particularly in that first half, defended the way we're capable of.

"I was really pleased for how they worked hard for each other. That's probably the biggest thing.

"They were just hungry and showed the way they were capable of playing and they did that through their defence."

The match changed complexion in the second half when video referees Bernard Sutton and Luke Phillips denied a try to Billy Slater at 14-6.

A cross-field kick came off Souths winger Nathan Merritt before being pounced on in-goal by the Storm fullback.

Referee Jared Maxwell ruled a try to set up the prospect of a thrilling finish but Sutton and Phillips overturned the decision after ruling centre Will Chambers had interfered with Merritt without contesting the ball.

The no-try ruling stung more when Rabbitohs fullback Greg Inglis bamboozled the defence with some dazzling footwork before linking with Issac Luke to extend the lead to 20-6. The faithful could finally start celebrating.

The only concern for the Rabbitohs is they had two players placed on report. Prop Roy Asotasi was the first to be booked for a crusher tackle on Storm prop Jason Ryles in the first half.

The second involved Dylan Farrell and resulted in Storm winger Sisa Waqa leaving the field in a medicab. Waqa had climbed high to claim a bomb from Cooper Cronk in the hope of scoring a try but made contact with Farrell and landed awkwardly on his head. There were plenty of players who stood tall for South Sydney but Sam Burgess was right up there with the best of them. After being criticised recently for silly behaviour on the field he got back to simply playing football.

Some tough defence from Burgess set up the opening try of the night. The English enforcer crunched Justin O'Neill in a tackle hard enough to jolt the ball loose. It wasn't too long afterwards that Farrell was sliding over the line for a 6-0 lead.

Halfback Adam Reynolds extended the lead to 8-0 when he landed a penalty goal before Burgess got involved again. This time a barnstorming run from the Englishman built the momentum for Jeff Lima to score and extend the lead to 14-0.

Melbourne started the match in strong fashion but ultimately couldn't convert any of its chances. It gambled by rushing Gareth Widdop back into his first game in the top grade since dislocating his hip in June but it failed to pay off.

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy said the start had been costly for the premier.

"A few things went wrong but certainly our start wasn't great with the ball," Bellamy said.

"We defended great in the first half. We had to. We turned over a lot of possession early and then we had about six more penalties against us and that tired us out.

"I was really happy with the way they defended and we fought back reasonably strong in the second half but couldn't quite bridge the gap."

Bellamy said it was a tough call to disallow the try to Slater, claiming Souths centre Bryson Goodwin had knocked Chambers into Merritt to deny him a fair shot at the ball.

"At the end of the day I don't think Will intentionally went in there to take him out so I think that was a real tough call," Bellamy said.

Widdop will be better for the run but his timing was clearly off last night. He held on to a pass and got tackled short of the line late in the first half when he had two men on his outside who would have easily scored.

South Sydney 20 (D Farrell J Lima I Luke tries; A Reynolds 4 goals) Melbourne 10 (W Chambers B Slater tries; C Smith goal) at ANZ Stadium. Referee: Shayne Hayne, Jared Maxwell. Crowd: 21,609

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ace-sudden-death/story-fnca0von-1226718928435

Maguire pays tribute to team's defensive display
Date
September 14, 2013

Brad Walter
Chief Rugby League Writer

Souths are now just one win away from their first grand final since 1971 and Maguire said the team was better for the experience of last year when they were beaten by the Bulldogs in the corresponding match.

''I think as a squad we are 12 months down the track from where we were so we are a much improved team and we have been through a lot of adversity in games,'' Maguire said. ''Our senior players understand our process and how we want to play and under pressure you fall back on those sort of things. I think we are a much improved team from last year, that's for sure.''

Maguire said the Rabbitohs won the match in the first half when they stormed to a 14-0 lead. ''I thought the boys, particularly in the first half, defended the way we are capable of and they really worked hard for each other,'' he said. ''They were just hungry and they showed the way we are capable of playing through their defence. There are still areas in our game we need to look at but we came out tonight against a very good team, a quality team that has been in this arena for some time so we needed to make sure we turned up and I thought the boys did that tonight. We knew they were going to come back and we knew that we were going to have to work really, really hard and I think that is why we came out the right end. We defended really well.''

Souths captain John Sutton paid tribute to his pack. ''It was a great performance by the boys tonight, especially our forwards,'' he said. ''I thought they were strong for us all night. They rolled right up the middle and really took it to the Melbourne forward pack. We really stuck in there so I am pretty pleased by the effort. We practised all week on our goal-line defence so the boys really worked well and it was a good effort.''

While the Rabbitohs now have next weekend off, the Storm will be at AAMI Park next Saturday against the winner of Sunday's sudden-death clash between Canterbury and Newcastle. The loser from Saturday night's Roosters-Manly game will face the Cronulla-Cowboys victor on Friday night in Sydney.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ive-display-20130913-2tquu.html#ixzz2eocjZxhF

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Defence was great. Kicking game was poor, though. They consistently found Storm players on the full while kicking long and took a lot of wrong options kicking short. In contrast, Melbourne pretty much kicked Inglis out of the game.

DC_fan

Coach
Our best victory in a very long time. A win built around defense. It was a defense that wins grand finals.

We fans should be proud of how our team played last night.

Isaaxe

Juniors
Does anyone at all think that kicking to the player on the full (which
happened all night) was not just part of the game plan?

t10do

Juniors
Always good to beat the Storm (it does not happen often!). I reckon it was a solid performance. Defensively we were better than last week, but I still think our goal line defence isn't as tight as it was earlier in the season. Hopefully its a progression and by two weeks time we see even more improvement.

Only negatives for me were our halves. They are not playing badly, but have just not clicked in the finals imo. Also, he is not playing badly, but I reckon the likes of McQueen need to also shift another gear and play to their abilities. We will only get better.

Good to see Lima rip in.

Latest posts