What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart quits Parramatta Eels for Canberra Raiders job

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. I KNOW whatever I write today will be treated with scepticism. We feel more comfortable with our version of the truth.

I know that we all know what we know and that whatever I tell you today will be judged against whatever opinion you’ve already made about my decision to leave Parramatta to coach Canberra, and for a lot of you the rest is all just a bunch of wasted words.

But that doesn’t make it any less the truth. Why did I leave Parramatta? The same reason coaches all around the world leave their clubs.

The same reason people all around the world head home.

I’ve heard people question my explanation that I was returning to Canberra for family reasons.

They question it by saying I have been living in Sydney for the past 16 years and if it was good enough for that long why isn’t it good enough now?

And that’s right, to a degree. But the answer for why I stayed in Sydney so long is the same as the answer for why I am going; I stayed in Sydney because it was best for my family.

Ricky Stuart reveals why he quit the Eels.
I lived in Sydney because it allowed me to be a first-grade coach and provide a life for my family I wouldn’t have been able to provide living in Canberra, where the head coaching job was already taken.

Yes, some will say I always could have moved back and worked in a factory, or an office, but that would have meant sacrifices in other areas.

As every working couple in the world knows, there is never a black and white answer. You make the choice you believe is best and you try to make it work as best you can.

It was a decision we made as a family and one we lived with, and it makes us no different from every other working family out there.

Of course it came with its difficulties, which, again, makes us no different from any other family.

As everyone now knows, my eldest daughter suffers autism, and if people understand some of the difficulties that presents a family, then I don’t need to say anymore — and if they don’t, well, there’s nothing I can say that will make them.

Stuart farewells Parramatta fansOutgoing Parramatta NRL coach Ricky Stuart has cited family and career as the reasons for leaving the Eels.(1:58 / 10.9MB)
Video Quality 3GWi-Fi
When the job came up in Canberra it gave me a chance to make a decision for them.

For my wife, mostly. And my boys, who, through no fault of their own, often have to make sacrifices other children their age don’t have to make. This will help them.

Some people will hear this and will maintain they still wouldn’t have made the same decision that I did if they were faced with the same choice.

They would have stuck out the deal at Parramatta.

That’s fair enough, I just wouldn’t like them bringing up my kids.

This wasn’t about walking out on Parramatta or the job ahead.

If the offer had been from Melbourne or Manly or the Roosters or Souths, I wouldn’t have gone.

If it was about being dishonourable or taking the easy option, as some have tried to portray my decision, I would have pursued the chance last year, when I was out of work and looking for a job and I was sounded out about returning to Canberra then.

I told them I wouldn’t talk while they still had a head coach, who also happened to be a mate of mine.

Nothing could come of it, and then Parramatta came along.

Since I made the decision I’ve heard all the opinions, been made aware of the abuse, most of it ill-informed from people whose opinions don’t matter.

In the past I would have come out guns blazing, looking to square up.
Those people aren’t in my life, and never will be. They don’t matter.

They can say what they like, though. It doesn’t hurt me.

Everyone I’ve spoken to within the game, and there were a few as I weighed up the choice I was about to make, all told me I was making the right decision.

I knew that, because I knew it was right for us as a family, but it was interesting too given many were looking at it from a football point of view.

Coaches come and go all around the world, some just last longer in their job than others.

But even those that last in their job for the longest time all want to return to the same place in the end. Home.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...-years-in-sydney/story-fndujljl-1226719223240

The f**k wit has spoken

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. For my wife, mostly. And my boys, who, through no fault of their own, often have to make sacrifices other children their age don’t have to make. This will help them.

Some people will hear this and will maintain they still wouldn’t have made the same decision that I did if they were faced with the same choice.

They would have stuck out the deal at Parramatta.

That’s fair enough, I just wouldn’t like them bringing up my kids.

Yeah good example Ricky - you have no issue with f**king the sons of other parents. You are a dick head !!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. The plight of the Parramatta Eels and the acrimonious departure during the week of their coach, Ricky Stuart, are the talk of the rugby league world.
Not for one minute am I telling the Eels how they should handle their affairs. Rather, I am suggesting people on the outside looking in need to put things into perspective and understand just how long it's going to take for this great club to recover from recent events.
Rather than looking upon the sudden resignation of Stuart as a loss, Parramatta should view this time as a great opportunity to build a new club; a club greater than it has ever been. The resignation of the head coach should be seen as the last straw in a period that is probably best forgotten, but should always be remembered. It could be the turning point in their history.
Advertisement

Parramatta's issues run much deeper than simply finding a head coach and a group of footballers to win games and hopefully a premiership. They have been on a "quick fix" program for far too long. Once you get headed down this road it's hard to stop. Desperation player recruitment and replacing the head coach are not the answers to building a successful club. All this has achieved is having the club lurch from crisis to crisis with little or no joy in between.
It has also led to the sacking of three coaches - Brian Smith, Daniel Anderson and Stephen Kearney were all tapped on the shoulder before their contracts ran out. It's four if you include the fact they had Jason Taylor on their books as a caretaker coach but decided against contracting him for the long term.
Now we see a situation where the head coach has sacked Parramatta. This is the same coach whose arrival 12 months ago the club proudly trumpeted as the greatest signing since Jack Gibson. Let's just think about this for a moment, because if we analyse what's happened here, I think we can find the answer to rebuilding Parramatta into the powerful club it should be, and for the future of rugby league in this country, the successful club it needs to be. After sacking three head coaches in a relatively short space of time, the latest coach has now sacked the club.
Whether you agree with Stuart's actions, or believe his reasons, is totally irrelevant.
What the Eels need to do is understand what this means to them; their most recent past, and the future they desire. I'm not for one minute blaming anyone at Parramatta for the position in which they now find themselves; far from it in fact. I'm sure there are smart and passionate people at Parramatta working as hard as they can to make the club successful.
What I am saying though is that they need to be brutally honest with themselves about where their club sits right now and what they have to do to ensure they will never again find themselves in this position. Parramatta are potentially the jewel-in-the-crown when it comes to great sporting organisations in this country.
I grew up in Parramatta. Back in those days we were seen as westies, living miles from civilisation. Today Parramatta is the centre of Sydney. It has everything going for it. They have a brilliant brand, a huge supporter base that stretches around the country, a huge junior league nursery; and they are situated right in the middle of a thriving business community.
They need to take a long-term view to their development. There is no "quick fix" solution to their needs. And even if they somehow fluked some short-term success, the joy will only be fleeting. Does 2009 ring a bell?
The people in charge at Parramatta need to be strong. They need to ignore the impatience of fans and those in the media. They need to rid themselves forever of outside influences. Parramatta need to define exactly what type of club they want to be and set a strategy in place to achieve these goals.
What they need is to find a coach who is prepared to cop getting his back-side kicked for a couple of years before the good times start to roll. That will take pressure off everyone in the club and help develop a friendly and productive workplace environment. This will help people produce their best. Parramatta will rise again; of this we can be certain.
As a coach Ricky Stuart is best served in a club with strong management and a strong playing roster. His strengths as a coach rise to the surface when he has a team that can challenge for a premiership. He is a good coach. He has the ability to prepare and steer a talented and motivated group in the right direction. The same talents could be seen when he was coaching the NSW Origin teams. All he had to do was coach his players and get them prepared for big games. That's his strength.
Stuart has always had a strong work ethic. I've always admired the fact he puts in the hours and does whatever he can to give his players all the information they need to take on an opponent. When he started his coaching career at the Roosters in 2002, it was the perfect working environment for any head coach.
The club boasted a powerful board headed by the passionate Nick Politis. The management team was second to none in the NRL. The club put tremendous people around the rookie head coach to give him all the support imaginable. The roster at the Roosters was ready to challenge for a title.
Remember too, that from this special era at the Roosters emerged three more head coaches in the shape of Ivan Cleary, John Cartwright and Shane Flanagan who today are still producing impressive results with their respective clubs. His strength and conditioning coach at that time was the great Ron Palmer; the best in the business.
Under these conditions, Stuart shone and he did an outstanding job leading the club to three successive grand finals, including a premiership and a World Club Championship trophy. It was the perfect environment for any coach to succeed and he showed he was a coach who could maintain the intensity and consistency to drive a team of talented players to the big end-of-season games.
It's a similar situation the latest rookie coach Trent Robinson has walked into at this great club and the Roosters are so close to yet another grand final appearance. The strength of the club is in the board and the management. The coach and the players are given every opportunity to succeed.
Since that wonderful time at the Roosters, Stuart has coached at the cash-strapped Sharks and now the Eels. As soon as he has to start worrying about anything other than just coaching, he is easily distracted and can become easily stressed. He should never be given total control over recruitment of staff and players.
As I understand it, at both Cronulla and Parramatta, Stuart, rightly or wrongly, involved himself in management, sponsorship, fund-raising, recruitment, media, PR and marketing. Now I don't know if he had to involve himself in these areas of operation, or if he just decided he need to be involved.
What I do know is that no head coach should ever be allowed to, or should ever have to involve himself, in these areas of operation. In this day and age, the head coach is there to coach the NRL team, end of story.
Stuart and I are mates and have been for a long time, so I can say these things. He is passionate and hard-working. He is also stubborn and head strong. He can become very impatient, which clouds his thinking. He needs to be protected from himself. He has mellowed somewhat over the years, but his highly competitive nature can still at times test his tolerance levels.
Years ago I begged him not to sign with the Sharks because I didn't think it was the club for him. In the end I begged him to leave the Sharks because it was doing his head in. He didn't have the resources and support he needed and it was affecting his coaching.
I thought the Parramatta job was a great opportunity for him to show he could start from scratch and build a football team from the ground up. I don't know what has happened at Parramatta, but what is obvious is he was a bad fit for them and they didn't adequately understand what he needed as a coach to perform to his best. I think the Raiders will give Stuart the environment he needs to be successful.
I hope so anyway.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...ord-yet-another-quick-fix-20130914-2trkm.html

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gus Gould said:
They need to take a long-term view to their development. There is no "quick fix" solution to their needs. And even if they somehow fluked some short-term success, the joy will only be fleeting. Does 2009 ring a bell?

The people in charge at Parramatta need to be strong. They need to ignore the impatience of fans and those in the media. They need to rid themselves forever of outside influences. Parramatta need to define exactly what type of club they want to be and set a strategy in place to achieve these goals.

What they need is to find a coach who is prepared to cop getting his back-side kicked for a couple of years before the good times start to roll. That will take pressure off everyone in the club and help develop a friendly and productive workplace environment.

This, especially the points in bold.

phantom eel

First Grade
Since that wonderful time at the Roosters, Stuart has coached at the cash-strapped Sharks and now the Eels. As soon as he has to start worrying about anything other than just coaching, he is easily distracted and can become easily stressed. He should never be given total control over recruitment of staff and players.

As I understand it, at both Cronulla and Parramatta, Stuart, rightly or wrongly, involved himself in management, sponsorship, fund-raising, recruitment, media, PR and marketing. Now I don't know if he had to involve himself in these areas of operation, or if he just decided he need to be involved.

What I do know is that no head coach should ever be allowed to, or should ever have to involve himself, in these areas of operation. In this day and age, the head coach is there to coach the NRL team, end of story.
Interesting.

attamarrap

Juniors
I hate how everyone in the media claims they need parra to be strong for the nrl to prosper then in the next breath kick the shit out of us

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. How long has Ricky Stuart been in the sights of Canberra? Parramatta officials believe his transfer back to the nation's capital was done more than a month ago. The first hint something was amiss was when the Raiders hosted the Eels in July. In the post-match news conference, Stuart waxed lyrical - unprompted - about the performance of a rising star. ''Is Kevin Rudd still renting over at Yarralumla, because I'd be buying The Lodge and giving it to young [Anthony] Milford to keep him here,'' Stuart said at the time. Looking back, Parra powerbrokers privately believe he was already thinking about Canberra's retention amid concerns Milford could activate his contractual clause to shift to Brisbane.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/maguire-on-top-of-eels-wish-list-20130914-2trox.html

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't think it is a problem finding a coach who is willing to get a touch up for a couple of years, but more boards, chairmans, ceos, members and fans who have to be willing to accept it.
Well said, but when you have been waiting as long as we have for success it is a hard thing to do. Even harder when a few short years ago we were cheated out of a GF win. Even harder when you still see those cheating pricks continue to be a force while we have become a laughing stock.

Shame we didn't pinch Gus before the Panthers did, him and Cleary have done a fantastic job.

I don't think it is a problem finding a coach who is willing to get a touch up for a couple of years, but more boards, chairmans, ceos, members and fans who have to be willing to accept it.

Yes, but without external interventions, there's frig all chance of this happening under our current organisational structure.

spiderdan

Bench
Between that and Stuart's article I think some rubbish is being put on the propaganda trail. That article basically says Stuart is a good coach, if everyone else is doing the work for him. Stuart could've come to canberra at any time early in his post-playing career as an assistant coach and waited for the opportunity to coach them.

He had a grea rooster team but it just looks like it was fittler that carried Stuart. Once fittler left, roosters turned to crap (it's been similar for nsw origin since fittler and johns retired).

I am hoping we get Taylor as our head coach. And I hope we smash the raiders (sticking it to sticky for the news headline). I am still not sold on Henry, given the talent he's had at his disposal and the lack of success he's got from that talent.

Avenger

Immortal
I have never been able to cop him but Stuart has now catapulted to the top of my f**kwit list. I wish his family all the best but I wish his coaching career all the worst. I want them to lose every game next year. If the NRL were smart they would put our game against Canberra at home as the season opener.

Avenger

Immortal
PS I'm not sold on Henry either. Could Someone like Rick Stone, Tony Smith or Justin Morgan be the wildcards or interim coaches if we don't get our first on contract choice? I know who I would take as an interim seeing that our defence is diabolical. Any guesses?

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Henry does have his side playing attractive styles of play. Look how Campese played under him at the Raiders in 08. He could do the same for J Hayne.

Kornstar

Coach
I actually could care less that Ricky is gone. I am happy to go through whatever is needed, i think we will be better in the long run........

Kornstar

Coach
Henry does have his side playing attractive styles of play. Look how Campese played under him at the Raiders in 08. He could do the same for J Hayne.

But he has had the best player in the world in his team and gotten nowhere, Murray did way more than Henry has ever done!

This year they should be having the week off right now (they are a top 2 side, easily), it wasn't till he was sacked that the team pulled their fingers out of their asses!

He is a better coach than our last 2, but i still don't really rate him.......imo he should have stayed at Canberra instead of shafting them!

Kornstar

Coach
Those would be the fans of the club that you just screwed over Ricky.
You really don't give a shit about our club at all, do you.

I would guess that even when he signed, he didn't care......me personally i want a coach who wants to be here......i think that's why i want Taylor, he did his apprenticeship here and it just feels right to me......