What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart quits Parramatta Eels for Canberra Raiders job

spartan2153

Juniors
I dont understand the mad love for henry. His coaching career is not that great. He walked into a ready made team at the cowboys with a great 1,7 & 9. Great forwards & struggled his first 3 years. Only qualified for the semis last year & this year was a write off until he was sacked. Thats when the pressure was off & they started performing.

Like fittler said. Taylor is ready for the job. Has alot of respect from the right people in the media & is a leader( was captain of north sydney at 21 i think). He would have learnt from his mistakes at souths & is very passionette. Built a good team at souths while there. Has coached lower grades to success. He just seems like the real logical choice.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
All this "be patient" stuff gives me the shits. We keep hearing it year after year.
How many more years do we need to be patient?

Just be patient Jarryd, we will be successful one day. You're career will be done and dusted by then, but just be patient.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I dont understand the mad love for henry. His coaching career is not that great. He walked into a ready made team at the cowboys with a great 1,7 & 9. Great forwards & struggled his first 3 years. Only qualified for the semis last year & this year was a write off until he was sacked. Thats when the pressure was off & they started performing.

2007: 14th (Raiders)
2008: 6th (Raiders)
2009: 12th (Cowboys)
2010: 15th (Cowboys)
2011: 7th (Cowboys)
2012: 5th (Cowboys)
2013: 8th (Cowboys)

He's made the finals in four out of seven years. Took him only a season to get the Raiders firing and two seasons with the Cowboys.

He's not going to bring instant success but cubs always end up doing well under him. And he knows how to run an 'academy', overseeing two very strong junior retention structures at Canberra and North Queensland.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
All this "be patient" stuff gives me the shits. We keep hearing it year after year.
How many more years do we need to be patient?

Just be patient Jarryd, we will be successful one day. You're career will be done and dusted by then, but just be patient.

f**k Jarryd. If he doesn't like it he can f**k off and let some other club spend a fifth of its cap on a merkin who only plays twelve games a year. The only thing stopping him playing Origin is injury, especially now Sticky is no longer Blues coach.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

He's made the finals in four out of seven years. Took him only a season to get the Raiders firing and two seasons with the Cowboys.

He's not going to bring instant success but cubs always end up doing well under him. And he knows how to run an 'academy', overseeing two very strong junior retention structures at Canberra and North Queensland.

But never turned a side into a serious contender

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But never turned a side into a serious contender

They've been serious contenders the past three years. Look at the quality of their roster.

Of course you might blame him for not winning a premiership with that roster but we're nowhere near that stage yet. We need someone who can build us a strong squad first. If Henry manages that then and we underperform in the finals then I'm happy for him to get the arse.

But I reckon a big part of the Cowboys' lack of finals success is that the conditions they train in up in Townsville are very different to the playing conditions in Sydney.

Either way, Henry is the club builder we need. He's like Brian Smith without the baggage.

Kornstar

Coach
They've been serious contenders the past three years. Look at the quality of their roster.

Of course you might blame him for not winning a premiership with that roster but we're nowhere near that stage yet. We need someone who can build us a strong squad first. If Henry manages that then and we underperform in the finals then I'm happy for him to get the arse.

But I reckon a big part of the Cowboys' lack of finals success is that the conditions they train in up in Townsville are very different to the playing conditions in Sydney.

Either way, Henry is the club builder we need. He's like Brian Smith without the baggage.

Gee you talk shit!

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
Henry's garbage . He didn't do anything at the Raiders that Matt Elliott didn't do and has been a middle of the road team @Cowboys . If we're going for a sacked bloke who hasn't lived up to expectations you may as well get Sheens .

spartan2153

Juniors

He took over a raiders team that had made the semis. He had a cowboys team with probably the 3rd best spine in yhe game. This year only performed after he was sacked. Not like they were ripping teams apart.

IFR33K

Coach
If we are going after a sacked coach, I'd go b smith.

Knows the game, knows the club and strong enough personality to put the board in there place.

Don't think will be anywhere near as 'expensive' as RS.

May even have a fit and firing hayne under bs.

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
If we are going after a sacked coach, I'd go b smith.

Knows the game, knows the club and strong enough personality to put the board in there place.

Don't think will be anywhere near as 'expensive' as RS.

May even have a fit and firing hayne under bs.

When Brian was here we were the envy of the NRL with our training facilities and technology . I'm not sure if he is to credit entirely for this but we were always fit and disciplined .

IFR33K

Coach
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but If Santi, hunt and peats do have get out clauses, then I dare say RS has known about leaving roughly at the time he signed the first of these three players. That would of been Santi, and iirc, that signing was about eight weeks ago.

f**k u RS.

eel01s

Bench
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but If Santi, hunt and peats do have get out clauses, then I dare say RS has known about leaving roughly at the time he signed the first of these three players. That would of been Santi, and iirc, that signing was about eight weeks ago.

f**k u RS.

Excellent point. And the lack of a proper CEO to veto the insertion of such a clause is also a big issue.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ricky Stuart's out clause was a terrible decision.

That said, why would we agree to out clauses for players based on a coach who himself could leave at any time? Was it really the only way we could attract those players?

Now with one decision Sticky has turned our previously solid recruiting for next year into a lottery.