What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadium Rankings

I had a discussion with some people where I sit at Parramatta Stadium, discussing the upgrade that is going to be put in, and I stated why I wanted the facilities at Parramatta Stadium upgraded, because the Stadium itself has become quite outdated. I said Parramatta stadium would rank in the bottom half of Stadia that Rugby League is played at overall, (not just for the sight lines)

My list of venues from best to worst is as follows.

1. Suncorp Stadium (Brisbane)
  2. Allianz Stadium (Sydney)
  3. AAMI Park (Melbourne)
  4. Canberra Stadium (Canberra)
  5. Skilled Park (Gold Coast)
  6. Hunter Ports Stadium (Newcastle)
  7. Bluetounge Stadium (Gosford)
  8. ANZ Stadium (Homebush)
  9. 1300 Smiles Stadium (Townsville)
  10. Mt Smart Stadium (Auckland)
  11. Penrith Park (Western Stand / Concorse)(Penrith)
  12. Parramatta Stadium
  13. Leichhardt Oval (Leichhardt)
  14. Campbelltown Stadium (Campbelltown)
  15. Shark Park (Cronulla)
  16. Brookvale Oval (Brookvale)

So that is my list, anyone else prepared to tell me where they think the Stadium's in the NRL rank.

Further, my thoughts on how Parramatta stadium should be upgraded.

1)Cronin Side,
  • Add a Mezzanine deck behind the stadium allowing patrons to walk to their section without walking infront of people watching the game.
  • Add another 1 or 2 rows to the front of the stadium by removing the walkway.
  • Extend the Roof to cover these rows.
  • In the Mezzanine, add Food / Bar / Merchandise and Toilets.
  • Add Corporate boxes (using up the two rows at the back)
  • Move all Season ticket holders forward 2 rows to get them close to the game.
  • Open up walkways underneath the Stadium and expand facilities for the concourse.
  • (nice to have) for the older members Escalators to the Mezzanine.

Thornett Side,
  • Replicate Cronin side where possible removing the Gym, and other offices and replacing them with a more complete office area behind the stadium (Above the walkway / Carpark behind the stadium

North and South ends.
  • Create stands similar to Cronin side.

Corners,
  • Once all stand are built, remove the light towers and complete the stand all around, opting for lights on the roof that span a larger area.

Suitman

Post Whore
Mark,

Canberra is rated too high in your list.
The angle of the lower tier is far too flat. Therefore, you don't really reach a very good height the further away from the pitch you are.
I'd rank Hunter, Bluetongue and skilled way ahead of it. Particularly Skilled. The roof at Skilled increases the crowd noise volume very well.
Canberra stadium would only be just above Parra imo. Although viewing at Parra is better (as it is a proper rectangle) the facilities at Parra are appalling.

Let's just hope the renovation at Parra brings it up to proper modern standards.

Otherwise, you're pretty close.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
What are they raising the capacity to at Parra?

Eventually 33000.
It's over 5 stages though in the master plan on the Parramatta Stadium website.
1st stage takes it to about 23500 with the addition of seats on the north and south hills. This also includes upgrading some of the current infrastructure. Cost about $30 million. The overall cost, when finished, is estimated to be about the $80 million mark.
It all however, depends on future funding and what the state govt decides to fund with it's new tiered stadium plans for Sydney/NSW as a whole.

Suity

Ron Jeremy

Coach
f**k more funding for food stands, the fatties can wait to they get home to eat. You come to a game to watch the football not stuff your face with food or admire how nice the toilets smell.

Make Parra stadium a 30,000 capacity place first, then worry about that other shit later, people want to see a bigger capacity Parra stadium which will in turn will create a better experience. Know one goes to the stadium because they might have a new menu or how the pretty the gardens look.

And season ticket holders will be told where to seat, I suggest move them to one of the hills so they can be hidden as they are normally the more unattractive/weird types of people, we want better looking people at the game, and not to be scared of these toothless ugly merkins who have no life.

Springs

First Grade
I haven't been to many but from what I have been to:

1. Suncorp Stadium
2. Allianz Stadium
3. AAMI Stadium
4. ANZ Stadium
5. Etihad Stadium
6. Parramatta Stadium
7. Centrebet Stadium
8. SCG
9. Canberra Stadium

My two experiences at Canberra have led to either sitting in the rain or unshielded from freezing wind in below zero temperatures. SCG was too far from the ground and my stand was staring into the sun all day. Never had a problem with going to Parramatta honestly, haven't been there much but the worst thing about it is that I can't see the big screen from the North Stand (my season ticket area).

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I had a discussion with some people where I sit at Parramatta Stadium, discussing the upgrade that is going to be put in, and I stated why I wanted the facilities at Parramatta Stadium upgraded, because the Stadium itself has become quite outdated. I said Parramatta stadium would rank in the bottom half of Stadia that Rugby League is played at overall, (not just for the sight lines)

My list of venues from best to worst is as follows.

1. Suncorp Stadium (Brisbane)
  2. Allianz Stadium (Sydney)
  3. AAMI Park (Melbourne)
  4. Canberra Stadium (Canberra)
  5. Skilled Park (Gold Coast)
  6. Hunter Ports Stadium (Newcastle)
  7. Bluetounge Stadium (Gosford)
  8. ANZ Stadium (Homebush)
  9. 1300 Smiles Stadium (Townsville)
  10. Mt Smart Stadium (Auckland)
  11. Penrith Park (Western Stand / Concorse)(Penrith)
  12. Parramatta Stadium
  13. Leichhardt Oval (Leichhardt)
  14. Campbelltown Stadium (Campbelltown)
  15. Shark Park (Cronulla)
  16. Brookvale Oval (Brookvale)

So that is my list, anyone else prepared to tell me where they think the Stadium's in the NRL rank.

Win stadium wollongong is a pretty good footy stadium

Suitman

Post Whore
Win stadium wollongong is a pretty good footy stadium

Agreed.
It certainly is a better location than Canberra as it is much closer to the city. Stadium rankings should include more than just the stadium. The whole game day experience is also pertinent.
It should also include public transport access and parking. Parramatta Stadium is pretty good on both these accounts. Parra also has a fantastic restaurant strip in Church street. Pretty important for pre match activities. It's one of the stadiums pluses.

Suity

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
I reckon Parra Stadium is a very nice ground to watch the footy at.

The biggest issue it faces is that it is miniscule. Currently the lowest capacity stadium in the NRL. The renos can't happen fast enough.

forward pass

Coach
Without doubt the priority should be to reconfigure the seating in the stands to remove walkways at the front of the stand. Terrible design at the moment.

I agree with your list MITS. Would also like to see toilets upgraded with separate exits so we don't get the current bottlenecks of people walking in and out of same door.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
f**k more funding for food stands, the fatties can wait to they get home to eat. You come to a game to watch the football not stuff your face with food or admire how nice the toilets smell.

Make Parra stadium a 30,000 capacity place first, then worry about that other shit later, people want to see a bigger capacity Parra stadium which will in turn will create a better experience. Know one goes to the stadium because they might have a new menu or how the pretty the gardens look.

And season ticket holders will be told where to seat, I suggest move them to one of the hills so they can be hidden as they are normally the more unattractive/weird types of people, we want better looking people at the game, and not to be scared of these toothless ugly merkins who have no life.

f**k.

phantom eel

First Grade
I agree we currently rank above Leichhardt, Campbelltown, Cronulla, and Brookvale. Though all things considered I think we'd at least equal Penrith, Gosford, Wollongong and Canberra?

Obviously Brisbane, the SFS and Homebush are bigger stadiums that we can't hope to match, and I haven't been to Melbourne, Gold Coast, Townsville, Auckland or Newie since the upgrade, but can accept they'd all be ahead of us.

I think the upgrade at Parramatta is needed, since it's now almost 30 years old.

Suitman

Post Whore
I agree we currently rank above Leichhardt, Campbelltown, Cronulla, and Brookvale. Though all things considered I think we'd at least equal Penrith, Gosford, Wollongong and Canberra?

Obviously Brisbane, the SFS and Homebush are bigger stadiums that we can't hope to match, and I haven't been to Melbourne, Gold Coast, Townsville, Auckland or Newie since the upgrade, but can accept they'd all be ahead of us.

I think the upgrade at Parramatta is needed, since it's now almost 30 years old.

Exactly. It was good in its day, but Parra stadium is so far behind the times now it ain't funny. It's a grub of a stadium in world terms.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=263

Just cast an eye over this place - fully. Australia is embarrassing compared to what the rest of the developed world is doing. Even check out the China transport threads. We are a joke.

Suity