What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To those who write off Bennett:

Noname36

First Grade
Weren't the Knights premiership favourites in Bennett's first season at the club.

He recruited the players he wanted which included Snowden even though it broke his rule on overpaying for props.

His tenure so far has been a flop unless they happen to win this week.

:lol: Wrong, wrong and more wrong.

Fat Krion

Juniors
:lol: Wrong, wrong and more wrong.

Tigers started 2012 as favs but Newcastle were short in the betting and third favourite after Storm.

In regards to recruiting, Bennett got the side he wanted. He went to the Knights knowing that they had good chance of winning the title in his first season.

Boyd,Smith,Snowden,Scott...plus Lelulia Gaigai and Mason. Talk about a transit lounge all that is missing is Lockyer

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
You cant teach experience and the Knights have that in loads.

They also have questions over their halves, but no more than the Chooks.

No doubt any of the last 4 can win the comp and be worthy premiers.

Lambretta

First Grade
Strange World innit - there was a thread ealier this year asking who your nomination was for coach of the year

At the time everyone was mentioning Maguire & Robinson for obvious reasons.

My comment was along the lines of "it's too early to nominate for coach of the year. If Bennett gets the Knights into the Finals series, then why wouldn't anyone consider him as coach of the year?" I thought this was especially relevant as his roster is nowhere near as good as say Souths or the Storm on paper.

From memory the only response was along the lines of ain't gonna happen, or even if they do they'll get kicked out in the first round.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Curious that WB has only won the Coach of the Year award twice, '97 & '00. He got a team back-to-back premierships & still didn't win it.

COTY award basically goes to whoever has improved the team the most from the previous season. Plus Dally Ms are just a Daily Telegraph popularity contest eg. the '09 Bulldog love fest.

Slackboy72

Coach
I don't know why you're ready the the telecrap anyway Dean.
Plus, I'm pretty sure Benny put the "cattle-makes-him-look-good" argument in 2010.
We had no-one that could be called a marquee player.

The fact is he motivates players to give everything for 7 days a week, not just 80 minutes every week. He doesn't put weak players on the park. He doesn't ask anyone to do anythng they're not capable of doing.

I suspect the Newcastle team now believe they can win this and that they know what they have to do to do so. I might put some cash on them.

Canard

Immortal
Despite his stellar, virtually unmatched, career to date if he got this Knights side to the Grand Final I would rank it as his greatest career achievement.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I don't know why you're ready the the telecrap anyway Dean.
Plus, I'm pretty sure Benny put the "cattle-makes-him-look-good" argument in 2010.
We had no-one that could be called a marquee player.

The fact is he motivates players to give everything for 7 days a week, not just 80 minutes every week. He doesn't put weak players on the park. He doesn't ask anyone to do anythng they're not capable of doing.

I suspect the Newcastle team now believe they can win this and that they know what they have to do to do so. I might put some cash on them.

I got on $3 on them on Sat night. Rolled my $1 bet from James Graham scoring first against Penrith at $51 on it.

I'll be rolling it all in to them again this week.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Despite his stellar, virtually unmatched, career to date if he got this Knights side to the Grand Final I would rank it as his greatest career achievement.

Mate, as a Saints man, trust me, getting us to a premiership was akin to Jesus rising from the dead.

We were a head f**ked club, who didn't know how to win big games, despite a golden era of talent and immense public, media and fan pressure.

Of course, we're a rabble now, but it was worth it!

The Knights are somewhat similar in that they didn't know how to win - at all.

As a neutral fan, looking at both achievements (if it comes to pass) I'd have to agree with you.

Mr Saab

Referee
He is a miracle worker

He won a comp in 2006 with Shane Perry in the halves
He won a comp in 2010 with Soward in the halves.

Noname36

First Grade

Seriously, what is everyone's issue with our squad? It's very decent.

Dragonwest

Juniors
At least Shane Perry could tackle.

I swear some people are blind or have only watched Soward get bumped off by Inglis in a highlights package.

Soward was very limited in what he could do as a half in certain areas .... but tackling was not one of them.

Spot On

Coach
I swear some people are blind or have only watched Soward get bumped off by Inglis in a highlights package.

Soward was very limited in what he could do as a half in certain areas .... but tackling was not one of them.

There's no doubt he improved out of sight as a defender under Bennett but he was definitely a speed bump the first year under Wayne. Atrocious at times.

Brutus

Referee
You did it again.

Whenever his team isn't going well, they say:
"He's gotten old",
"He's past it",
"He only wins premierships because of the players he's got"

You know who you are. How does it feel to be wrong all the time?

Are you really a GWS fan???

Desert Qlder

First Grade
He now has gotten three clubs to at least Preliminary Finals.

How does this record compare to every other coach, ever?