What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 PREMIERS | Roosters 26-18 Sea Eagles | Grand Final | ANZ

2013 PREMIERS - Your Pick

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Saab

Referee
On the flipside you could say these two prelims more resembled that of 2000 where the roosters won by 6 after trailing by 14 and Brisbane smashed it home and then won the premiership.

At the end of the day it will be about who lifts for the occasion.

In 2000 Brisbane did not smash the Eels in the prelim. It was a close game.
Brad Thorn scored in the final minutes to win 16-10.
Overall the Broncos killed it in 2000 thanks to unlimited interchange which suited their huge forwards.

Valheru

Coach
The last three times a Club won three games over another club in that season, lost the GF.

Did they play the same team in that GF though? The only times recently that teams have played in the GF after playing in the 1st week of finals was Wests/cowboys in 05 and Storm/Dragons in 99. Wests won both finals games but lost in the regular season.

In 2000 Brisbane did not smash the Eels in the prelim. It was a close game.
Brad Thorn scored in the final minutes to win 16-10.
Overall the Broncos killed it in 2000 thanks to unlimited interchange which suited their huge forwards.

My bad, pretty sure 98 is the one I am thinking of then. They flogged us in prelim and dogs snuck through against Parra.

The point is you can draw parallels with any year you choose but at the end of the day it means nothing, it is all about the performance on the day.

firechild

First Grade
Wasn't there once a thread that pointed out that teams failing to beat a club during the regular season don't go on to win a premiership? We've beaten Manly three times so I'll go with us by 8 in an enthralling game.

First time Manly beat Melbourne in '08 was in the GF. We'd only played twice during the season without a previous finals match against each other.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
A bloke missing from Manly that night by the name of Brett Stewart had no effect on that game?? :lol:

Going to be a cracker of a match.

Mighty Sea Eagles by 4

No well obviously that made a difference as well. Never suggested that it didn't. You're knocking over a straw man there.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
The biggest difference between week 1 and the GF is not going to be the additions of JWH, Cordner (maybe), and Brett Stewart.

It will be an even penalty count.

In week 1 Manly won the count 12-5. There is simply no chance of that happening on sunday, so Manly are going to have to lift without a free ride into the attacking zone all game.

Going to be an absolute belter. I'm confident that we will win, although I am well aware that this confidence is rooted firmly in my bias. Whoever does lift the trophy is going to have bloody well earned it

The reason roosters got smashed in the penalties in that game was because they were losing the rucks and also conceding a heap of penalties while desperately defending their line. Which all happened because of the lack of go forward without JWH, Moa etc. So yeah you're right it won't be 12-5 penalties again but mainly becauseof JWH etc being there this time.

Sleep

Juniors
Roosters have terrible discipline so I'd imagine the penalty count will go against them again.

Danish

Referee
The reason roosters got smashed in the penalties in that game was because they were losing the rucks and also conceding a heap of penalties while desperately defending their line. Which all happened because of the lack of go forward without JWH, Moa etc. So yeah you're right it won't be 12-5 penalties again but mainly becauseof JWH etc being there this time.

That would make a whole heap of sense if Manly received more than 2 penalties inside our 20 all game (they didn't).

The majority of the penalties were in the neutral zone, with a few piggybacks out of their own end as well. In the attacking 20 was where Manly were awarded the least of their penalties that night.

ceagle

Bench
Shayne and Cummins are refs for the GF

Manly used to have a good record when Shayne reffed them but this year he has been awful.

Frailty

First Grade

Manly used to have a good record when Shayne reffed them but this year he has been awful.

It says a lot for the standard of refereeing when these two bozos are the GF referees...

Danish

Referee

To be honest I don't think the refs will have much influence. I'm thinking a 4-3 penalty count in either teams favour.

Tommy Smith

Referee
If the penalty count is 4-3 either way then good luck Manly because you'll need it!

If you can't score a point vs a team missing their two best props with 12 penalties for then I don't like their chances when those factors even up.

MSIH

Bench
I know right, how Brett Stewart didn't at least help set-up one try has got me very nervous. We
need the Roosters to hold down for an eternity so we can get some possession.

Danish

Referee
Brett Stewart couldn't help you when we met at the SFS in the regular season.

The only thing that stopped that being an out and out spanking was Boyd Cordner being our goal kicker as Maloney was out.

MSIH

Bench
It was his first game back after about 6 weeks out. Foran was out also.

Don't worry, I've got excuses for all our losses.

GongPanther

Referee
Souths were all over Manly last week.

If it wasn't for Issac Luke choking his team to death,Souths could have won that game by 40+ and should have been the ones playing Easts this Sunday.

Easts will highlight what Souths did,and continue on were they (Souths) should have left off and give the Sea-Eagles an embarrassing thumping.

They'll be too clinical,too methodical and overall too strong for Manly on the edges and out wide.

The scoring spree will follow after a 20 minute softening up period...then the juice will be stepped up followed by a 2nd half which should have the Manly fans heading for the exits well before the 70th minute.

Tommy Smith

Referee
You certainly do.

Last week's game was Stewart's first back in a while and wasn't he rusty!

The one game where Stewart played was actually the biggest blow out of the lot. When both Foran and Maloney were out.

Danish

Referee
It was his first game back after about 6 weeks out. Foran was out also.

Don't worry, I've got excuses for all our losses.

:lol:

I've got plenty chambered for ours too, largely revolving around damned refs, etc.