What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary's interview...

Steelman

Juniors
It takes more than just luck to coach a team at any level of the game to 3 straight premierships.

Mary will surprise im sure. ........

The Nick

Bench
I hear people on here saying Mary is not much of a coach. but nobody here has been coached by him, watched him coach at training or been near him when he's coached. Me neither, but I think Mary will make an impression on the team. He said he wants a team that is poor losers. A team that doesn't accept losing. To me that is a positive. He also said he's happy we will have such a young team so they can be taught, not coached. I liked his interview. It was honest and not scripted. We all were filthy for the 2013 season, but like he said, we need to put it behind us. It's last weeks fish and chip paper now.

I was coached by both Neil Henry and Michael Maguire early on in their coaching careers and TBH I thought both of them to be poor coaches at the time. Turns out I was just a terrible footy player.

TheRev

First Grade
o Talk is talk I agree, to be honest a lot of this stuff is scripted and cliches.. the whole thing was like a Job Interview.

o However in 8 minutes he already sounds more intelligent than 2yrs of Price's talk, anyone is an improvement on Price, but hes completely and utterly unproven.

o McGregor was a genius centre, but thats his individual skill, he still has to prove he has a good read of attacking structures & can coach that into the players... I mean our attacking will be much stronger with Widdop/Williams, but we need to utilise our offensive strengths.

o Cutters performance - im not sure what to make of that, I agree with what hes saying (that he has blokes coming in and out constantly), but still hes not putting his hand up as a coach.... I do think he struggled with his roster to some degree, especially in the halves.

TruSaint

Referee
I was coached by both Neil Henry and Michael Maguire early on in their coaching careers and TBH I thought both of them to be poor coaches at the time. Turns out I was just a terrible footy player.

Nick.... classic mate.
One of the best this year.

TonyTrugett

Juniors
o Talk is talk I agree, to be honest a lot of this stuff is scripted and cliches.. the whole thing was like a Job Interview.

o However in 8 minutes he already sounds more intelligent than 2yrs of Price's talk, anyone is an improvement on Price, but hes completely and utterly unproven.

o McGregor was a genius centre, but thats his individual skill, he still has to prove he has a good read of attacking structures & can coach that into the players... I mean our attacking will be much stronger with Widdop/Williams, but we need to utilise our offensive strengths.

o Cutters performance - im not sure what to make of that, I agree with what hes saying (that he has blokes coming in and out constantly), but still hes not putting his hand up as a coach.... I do think he struggled with his roster to some degree, especially in the halves.
This has been brought up a few times both by Mc Gregor and Holbrook. But so does every other team. That's the point of the NSW Cup and NYC.

jason taylor

Bench
This has been brought up a few times both by Mc Gregor and Holbrook. But so does every other team. That's the point of the NSW Cup and NYC.

Exactly, Wentworthville (Eels) managed to make the finals even though in the last couple of weeks we had difficulty finding enough players to field a team. We were forced to bring up some players from State Cup. Our spine was changing constantly yet we managed to win enough games.
Although, you could argue that the top teams in NSW Cup had relatively stable squads, with the Sharks for example hardly changing their first grade side throughout the year.

Talk is cheap. Nothing will change.

Well BooHooYoo...

You may well be right Possm.

I've been one of the strongest critics, particularly of Steve Price's Coaching.

My main criticism is not doing what I think is right or wrong (or what anyone else thinks is right or wrong, that's conjecture and subjective) ...but just doing!

And the Club has recognised the situation for what it is - and responded.

And whilst I do believe it is Jobs for the Boys, it is the Corner they have painted themselves into. And whilst it is appropriate to criticise that as much as necessary, I think we've had tacit admission of their mistakes.

But mostly, Independent of that criticsim I still believe this is the best they can be from it.

I'm excited about next year.

Saint Doc

Coach
He talks about accountability, takes credit for 3 premierships at Wests Illawarra, takes credit for 5th spot with cutters last year, then passes the buck and makes excuses for a poor cutters season this year, saying "you have to trust other people to coach them" (I.e. his new boss pricey)

He doesn't accept accountability for a poor season but accepts responsibility for wins. Tats rubbish if you ask me.

What NSW cup team didn't face the same challenges?

Cheap talk

TheRev

First Grade
Yah same with Price and his excuses, our injuries werent that bad until late in the year when Dugan/Merrin went, before that it was a copout imo.

However in terms of Cutters, I mean I thought their roster was average but there was enough talent if utilised and coached well.. probably the biggest dissapointment was Drinkwater who neither coach was able to reach until it was too late, and Harry who was just injured unluckily, but there were opportunities to test the waters with other talent well before then.

TonyTrugett

Juniors
Exactly, Wentworthville (Eels) managed to make the finals even though in the last couple of weeks we had difficulty finding enough players to field a team. We were forced to bring up some players from State Cup. Our spine was changing constantly yet we managed to win enough games.
Although, you could argue that the top teams in NSW Cup had relatively stable squads, with the Sharks for example hardly changing their first grade side throughout the year.

The sharks were probably helped by the fact that in the NSW cup they share players with Melbourne.

Minh

First Grade
Based on the interview alone and without any real top coaching credentials, I would prefer Mc Gregor over Price if cannot afford/or manage to find a top line coach. I just don't have much confidence in Price thta is the only reason.

Super Owl

Juniors
It's interesting that he said that these younger players need to be "taught" not "coached". Maybe Price is trying too hard to emulate Bennett's man management and neglecting the things he learnt as a lower grade coach - namely skills, position, match awareness or whatever else Mary has in mind when he mentions "taught"?

Minh

First Grade
It's interesting that he said that these younger players need to be "taught" not "coached". Maybe Price is trying too hard to emulate Bennett's man management and neglecting the things he learnt as a lower grade coach - namely skills, position, match awareness or whatever else Mary has in mind when he mentions "taught"?

Another interesting thing he mentioned was that when we were attacking the opposition try line that they didn't know what to do. Geez is that not a hint at saying that they are badly coached then what is.

Steelman

Juniors
Is Doust positioning Dragons 2015 coaches. ..

Head Coach. ... lan Millward
Assistant.......... Mary MacGregor
Scott Logan. .........

Latest posts