What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The report carried out by the club sponsor, wanting his mate to get the top job. Laughable???

I asked a question several weeks ago, no merkin was able to answer. If members organized an independent report of the admin of the club under roys watch, what would the report find???
Wasnt Geoff Gerad on fhat 3 man panel??? Part of Fitzy's ticket, if anything untoward went on don't you think we would have heard all about it

Noise

Coach
Which players and/or juniors did we lose when Anderson was around?

Mateo and Inu are the obvious ones but who else?

When did we lose Maloney, George Tafua and Daniel Tupou? Was that under Anderson's watch?

Last edited:

spartan2153

Juniors
he can be judged from the report that was done before he was sacked

he can also be judged about his time at the Warriors

Yeah he was such a failure. He took them to there first semi finals. He took them too a grand final. Made the semis the next year and was sacked after a bad start to his 4th year in charge.

The warriors took another 5 years to make the semis. His record is very good.

St Helens was a success.

So his coaching record is a fluke

Delboy

First Grade
At the end of all this we end to have patience , we arhungry for success after th past 4 yars.

Despite my misgivings about Ando, he should be given a chance, his problem is his record with Polynesian players and a lack of understanding of their culture. Keep him away from players and see if he can develop Systems, all those who wonder why there is some fear about Ando, Need to talk to the senior players at a the end of his tenure, hopefully he has some understanding of why he failed at a couple of clubs.

If wekeep Nolan and Fields in the development and recruitment and don't interfere, then we may be OK, still have doubts about DA :(

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah he was such a failure. He took them to there first semi finals. He took them too a grand final. Made the semis the next year and was sacked after a bad start to his 4th year in charge.

The warriors took another 5 years to make the semis. His record is very good.

St Helens was a success.

So his coaching record is a fluke

Yes I think that Ando has been getting a bum rap. Anyone who says he has NFI is the one with NFI.

Joely01

Bench
He will only be a coaching director right?
So really his job is to watch over everything, not make the initial decisions.
That is still going to be JTs job.

I reckon it's the perfect job for Anderson, he does have a good footballing brain, and he will be behind the scenes.
Hopefully he and JT can work together though..

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
his problem is his record with Polynesian players and a lack of understanding of their culture(

Well at the warriors they hadn't made the semis before he got there, then he got them to the finals each year he was there then they failed to make the finals for the next 3 years after he left. Maybe his record with Polynesian players aren't that bad, he seemed to get the best out of them where others had failed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Which players and/or juniors did we lose when Anderson was around?

Mateo and Inu are the obvious ones but who else?

When did we lose Maloney, George Tafua and Daniel Tupou? Was that under Anderson's watch?

Maloney left when hagan was coach, tafua/Tupou was under Kearney.

Inu is onto his second club where he could be on the outer

Mateo - that is debate that could last a whole thread.

BennyBoy

Juniors
jury is still out for me, ask me after 12 rounds next year. I can just see it now "eels head coach and football manager at logger heads, one has to go"

Yeah that worries me too.

Very happy with JT's appointment but am wondering why JT has 2 years and DA 4.

Was never a big DA fan and wasn't surprised that no other club would touch him. Wasn't much good as Referee's boss eithier IMO.

spiderdan

Bench
would have preferrred brian smith as the over-seer but anderson isn't an idiot and should be able to work with the football staff (from nrl down to the junior grades) to identify and develop talent for short term and long term success.

for everyone bitching and worrying about anderson being back at the club, he wouldn't be coaching anything, he would be there in an operational capacity. anderson's problem (at times) was communicating with players as the coach which he wouldn't be doing in any grade (unless jt doesn't work out in which case anderson may get pushed into a caretaker coaching role).

assuming hopoate is still coming then bring on 2014.

Bigfella

Coach
I have reservations about Anderson's future planning and Taylor's personality.

I have even bigger reservations about us trying to change culture by reappointing failed ex coaches, and the fact that we had an opportunity to sign the best available talent and yet appointed a CEO from within and Appeared to simply relive old board grievances in doing so.

However I do think Anderson and Taylor are both better people than Ricky Stuart.

Both are good footy brains and passionate and committed. Some other good changes have been made by Nolan and his teams. We've never had the gm position so it can only be an improvement presumably?

And we've got some good new players coming. Hopefully there is improvement in the wind.

Gronk

Staff member
The appointment of Ando is a square up.

Mate you know I have great respect for you, but I think it's time that we put politics aside and let them do their job. This is what you asked everyone to do when Spags got the gig and it's only fair that the new regime are offered the same opportunity.

Bigfella

Coach
Yes Jodeci it's time you put politics aside and let the new board make up for all the things that 3P did wrong and punish all of their mistakes.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mate you know I have great respect for you, but I think it's time that we put politics aside and let them do their job. This is what you asked everyone to do when Spags got the gig and it's only fair that the new regime are offered the same opportunity.

This. We need to give them time to show what they can do before we write them off.

I like Anderson, and I think he's a good bloke and avoid coach. Likewise, I rate Taylor as a coach and am happy to have him back.

But we won't know how things pan out, unless we ask Avenger's gut ;). Give 'em a chance!

jimmy77au

Juniors
This. We need to give them time to show what they can do before we write them off.

I like Anderson, and I think he's a good bloke and avoid coach. Likewise, I rate Taylor as a coach and am happy to have him back.

But we won't know how things pan out, unless we ask Avenger's gut ;). Give 'em a chance!

Don't disagree - but since the new board came in - its been a bit of a clusterf**k to be honest - and its hard not to write them off.

But I will give them the benefit of the doubt - I know from first hand experience what it can be like having a new board at a club (obviously on a much smaller scale, and without Media interference at every given opportunity).

Gronk

Staff member
Yes Jodeci it's time you put politics aside and let the new board make up for all the things that 3P did wrong and punish all of their mistakes.

Personally I think Spags & Co did not deserve to be ousted, but they did and I was genuinely surprised at the time. I actually thought that they'd be re-elected in a walk over. Perhaps they did too and underestimated the effect of complacency to a campaign ?

It's water under the bridge now and we all need to move on. There is no point dwelling in the past. Otherwise you're going to start looking like a dill (refer Chris Murphy and his inability to move on post Abbott --> https://twitter.com/chrismurphys )

Eelementary

Post Whore
Don't disagree - but since the new board came in - its been a bit of a clusterf**k to be honest - and its hard not to write them off.

But I will give them the benefit of the doubt - I know from first hand experience what it can be like having a new board at a club (obviously on a much smaller scale, and without Media interference at every given opportunity).

The board is an inept joke, true. But it doesn't necessarily follow that their appointments are terrible just because they themselves are a joke.

I feel Arthur and Taylor were the best coaching candidates available, and it seems we signed one of them.

The appointment of Anderson in that role is puzzling, but the logic behind it makes sense.

Who knows how it will go?

Gronk

Staff member

Agree on the cluster f**k issue - but would we be in turmoil if Sticky did not shaft us ? The answer is no and in reality we'd be quite excited about 2014. If the Raiders gig did not emerge, Sticky would still be here and our club would be stable. Remember that it was Sticky's camp that was planting seeds around Sydney that it was the clubs instability that was making him re-think. We all know that it was bullshit - that's why had changed tact and played the autism card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.