What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avenger

Immortal
Reading between the lines I would confidently say that Taylor was the first choice, however some of the proposed structures (which he himself stated on Channel 9) he did not agree with. Arthur was OK with it and got the gig. Good luck to him.

Brad Arthur will hopefully improve us. More comfortable with him at the helm than with JT although I would have accepted JT as well.

For all the people whinging about the media and the line of questioning to Seward at the media confrence. You have to ask yourself firstly Why would they ask these type of questions. Simple answer is because the board played out this saga in the media. If they had of kept negotiations to themselves, none of this would of happened. No other organization would have even done what our board did in the last two weeks. What a rabble.

The board are a disgrace. Unprofessional. Clueless.

Shakamaker

Juniors
Brad Arthur will hopefully improve us. More comfortable with him at the helm than with JT although I would have accepted JT as well.

For all the people whinging about the media and the line of questioning to Seward at the media confrence. You have to ask yourself firstly Why would they ask these type of questions. Simple answer is because the board played out this saga in the media. If they had of kept negotiations to themselves, none of this would of happened. No other organization would have even done what our board did in the last two weeks. What a rabble.

The board are a disgrace. Unprofessional. Clueless.

Well said. 100 %. I'd be very surprised if Brad Arthur sees out his contract

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well said. 100 %. I'd be very surprised if Brad Arthur sees out his contract

Please don't even joke about that.

I swear to f**king Cayless that if Arthur doesn't see out his contract, I will deadset knocn the Leagues Club down with the feathers from a virgin duck.

Avenger

Immortal
should frame the poll and send to BA as a welcome gift lol

lol the appointed coach is not on the list!!!

Well this was the poll result when we lasted voted for a coach prior to the Stuart appointment.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=7463

A massive 2 votes. :lol::lol:

What a difference a year makes. Good luck to him but I thought he was no chance but accept the appointment and am very happy for him.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Arthur delighted to seal Eels position
By Ian McCullough
17:18 AEST Wed Oct 16 2013

New Parramatta coach Brad Arthur believes observing how Geoff Toovey shuts out Manly's boardroom ructions is the perfect preparation for the life in the Eels hot seat.

Arthur, who is on holiday with his family, was named as Ricky Stuart's successor with the back-to-back NRL wooden spooners on Wednesday following a prolonged saga due to the Parramatta board failing to agree on their man.

Jason Taylor looked like getting the role and agreed a two-year contract in principle, only for chairman Steve Sharp to finally persuade the board Arthur was the right person.

Sharp was left fuming last week when overruled by fellow board members who wanted Taylor, but at a meeting late on Tuesday the decision was finally taken to hire Manly assistant Arthur.

"To be honest I thought the job was gone and I was happy to stay at Manly where I had a good job," Arthur told AAP.

"I'd just put it all behind me and was spending some time with the family.

"But Parramatta rang me late on Tuesday to ask if I was still interested in the job.

"There aren't many NRL head coaching positions that come up so of course I said yes.

"Now I am really excited about the challenge ahead. It's an honour to coach this club."

Manly's boardroom bickering makes the Eels look mild in comparison, with directors constantly at odds and even taking out an Apprehended Personal Violence Order against one another.

Despite it all, the Sea Eagles have been consistently successful on the field as Toovey kept his players fully focused on the NRL.

"Tooves just turned up for work every day with his focus on coaching the team," Arthur said.

"He doesn't let anything bother him. That is what I have to do. I have a job to do and work with my staff and the players and that has to be my priority."

Arthur cultivated his reputation as an outstanding young coach under Craig Bellamy and alongside South Sydney's Michael Maguire at Melbourne.

And he believes having worked for the two most successful NRL clubs of the last decade gives him the perfect grounding to change the Eels' fortunes.

"It helps really going to Manly and seeing how they do things for 12 months," he said.

"They are one of the most successful clubs in the history of the NRL and over the last seven years they and Melbourne have contested six grand finals.

"I've been through both clubs and had the advantage of working with some top coaches and outstanding players."

Arthur said he felt some sympathy for Taylor.

"What I've learned over the last few weeks is not to worry about things you can't control," he said.

"Like Jason has here, I just missed out on the North Queensland job (to Paul Green). But it's worked out for me now."

Arthur is also unfazed at taking over a team that has finished with the wooden spoon for the last two years.

"We need to have the attitude like every other team in the comp on round one as we're all on the same points," he said.

"We need to aspire like everyone else to make the top eight and go out with a winning attitude.

"There are some good players there who can take us forward."
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8739663

Shakamaker

Juniors
lol

like your thoughts are relevant after all your failed predictions

Jason Taylor couldn't come to terms with conditions of contract.

Just confirmed by Eels CEO to keep the moderators nice and happy:

@RushHourMMM: "We were very close with Jason Taylor, but unfortunately we couldn't agree to terms and conditions with him" - Parra CEO Scott Seward on MMM

I sincerely wish Brad Arthur all the best. However i am doubtful of any significant impact.

caylo

Bench
Between the two I would prefer BA simply because Taylors record as a head coach is quiet poor with a winning percentage of just over 40% with a big spending Souths. Also he may have brought in sandow but he was never able to get him firing consistently and since he has left most players that have stayed on have improved.

BA on the other hand is well known for his tactical nous and identifying talent as an assistant, while him being so inexperienced is not ideal and makes him an unknown but I don't think Taylor is the right choice so I'm happy. I question DA appointment as a GM, he'd be more suited to a assistant coach rather then a GM.

Lol... I've met both you and jodeci and your the closer thing to a 'stand up' bloke than he is mate... ;-)

And for the record, I like both you blokes... Just sayin

1) Takes one to know one ;-)

2) I agree, though, but that's simply because I'm the most stand up bloke there is :sarcasm:

3) *you're :p

spartan2153

Juniors
Between the two I would prefer BA simply because Taylors record as a head coach is quiet poor with a winning percentage of just over 40% with a big spending Souths. Also he may have brought in sandow but he was never able to get him firing consistently and since he has left most players that have stayed on have improved.

BA on the other hand is well known for his tactical nous and identifying talent as an assistant, while him being so inexperienced is not ideal and makes him an unknown but I don't think Taylor is the right choice so I'm happy. I question DA appointment as a GM, he'd be more suited to a assistant coach rather then a GM.

As a assistant he is still unproven. He was at melbourne where they cheated & he joined a manly team that have been succesful for years before joining. The 1 chance he did have to prove anything as a assistant well 3rd last & wooden spoon were the results.

He only won 2 of 6 games as coach so in reality he aint the best candidate.

As a assistant he is still unproven. He was at melbourne where they cheated & he joined a manly team that have been succesful for years before joining. The 1 chance he did have to prove anything as a assistant well 3rd last & wooden spoon were the results.

He only won 2 of 6 games as coach so in reality he aint the best candidate.

So how do you think the best assistant coach in history would go, if the Head Coach is not up to it?

spartan2153

Juniors
in your opinion

The proof is there. he won 2 from 6

They also admitted they couldnt come to terms with taylor so they went the second option.

Are you denying him being a assistant at melbourne when they cheated means a great deal. Same with manly.

He had his shot at standing on his own with the eels And him & kearney made us a laughing stock.

Glen

Bench
I like how people bring up his 2 out of 6 game first grade record like it has any relevance. If anything it's a positive given the team and situation he had to work with

lingard

Coach
Please don't even joke about that.

I swear to f**king Cayless that if Arthur doesn't see out his contract, I will deadset knocn the Leagues Club down with the feathers from a virgin duck.

Ha ha. You'll be lucky, mate. In my experience most ducks are s**ts.

The proof is there. he won 2 from 6

They also admitted they couldnt come to terms with taylor so they went the second option.

Are you denying him being a assistant at melbourne when they cheated means a great deal. Same with manly.

He had his shot at standing on his own with the eels And him & kearney made us a laughing stock.

His win ratio was better than kearneys with the shittest roster in the history of league. Im pleased to hear he was the forwards man at manly. Those merkins carried them into the GF

Status
Not open for further replies.