What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Draw

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
FYI we're looking at a mid-November release again according to NRL Marketing Manager Michael Johnstone.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
the nrl should do something like the afl and set up the draw so that everyone plays each other once, the strong teams play each other twice and the weak teams play each other twice. will set up more blockbuster games and should reduce the number of blowout scorelines.

Saint Doc

Coach
the nrl should do something like the afl and set up the draw so that everyone plays each other once, the strong teams play each other twice and the weak teams play each other twice. will set up more blockbuster games and should reduce the number of blowout scorelines.

That sounds fair :|

cleary89

Coach

I want us to have nothing to do with that rigged comp of theirs.

More block busters? Most of the traditionally high drawing teams are down the bottom. It works with the afl because their shit teams are consistently shit, but with a comp as close as the nrl half the teams from the bottom 8 make the top 8 the next year without the need for a rigged draw.

I want us to have nothing to do with that rigged comp of theirs.

More block busters? Most of the traditionally high drawing teams are down the bottom. It works with the afl because their shit teams are consistently shit, but with a comp as close as the nrl half the teams from the bottom 8 make the top 8 the next year without the need for a rigged draw.

Also when you consider how quickly a team's fortune can turn around in one year, who's to say that a team that was weak in 2013 (i.e. towards the bottom of the ladder) will still be weak come 2014? Tyler's suggestion is daft in my opinion too.

Big Sam

First Grade
The only way to truly make it fair is to scrap trials and have every team play the other once H&A for 30 rounds.

firechild

First Grade
- The RL community to accept that Brisbane, Parramatta, Canterbury, Wests and Souths rate on Channel 9 regardless of form. Manly and Melbourne might be great teams but their television markets are f**king tiny by comparison - that's where you lose ratings.

I call bullshit. The reality is Fox want Manly games (as seen by the 7 Monday nights in 2013) because of the high uptake of Foxtel on the Northern Beaches whilst the housos that support Canterbury, Souffs and Wests don't give the same return for Fox.

If Manly don't rate then why are they constantly on Monday night lol

The only way to truly make it fair is to scrap trials and have every team play the other once H&A for 30 rounds.

^^ This

Bring in 3 byes for each Origin weekend and play everyone twice H&A. It's the only fair way to go.

This is my fix.
Reduce the competition to 22 rounds.
Divide the teams into the following 2 groups
Play everyone one, then your own group again. (Rounds 1-7, 16-22 are reversed)

Group A: (1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16)
Eastern Subs
Manly
Cronulla
Nth Qld
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Canberra
Parramatta

Group B (2,3,6,7, 10,11,14,15)
Souths
Melbourne
Bulldogs
Knights
Penrith
NZ Warriors
St George Illa
Wests Tigers

From these groups the following could be a round 1 match up

Friday 19:45: Sydney Roosters v Cronulla Sharks at SFS (9)
Saturday 15:00 NZ Warriors v Melbourne Storm at Mt Smart FOX
Saturday 17:00 Wests Tigers v Penrith Panthers at ANZ FOX
Saturday 19:30 Bulldogs v Souths at ANZ (9) NSW
Saturday 19:30 Gold Coast v Brisbane at Skilled (9) QLD
Sunday 14:00: Newcastle v St George Illawarra at Hunter FOX VIEWERS CHOICE
Sunday 14:00: Parramatta v Canberra at Pirtek FOX VIEWERS CHOICE
Sunday 15:00: Manly v Nth Qld (9) at Brookvale

Card Shark

Immortal
This is my fix.
Reduce the competition to 22 rounds.
Divide the teams into the following 2 groups

The NRL aren't going to reduce the number of rounds unless they want to lose about 5% of TV revenue & clubs 10% of their income from seating & corporate.

Anyway, the closer it gets to playing each other twice (i.e 30 rounds), the fairer the comp gets. Perhaps play 25 or 26 games instead of 24?? 30 however is too many - not enough weeks nor fit players at the end of the year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I call bullshit. The reality is Fox want Manly games (as seen by the 7 Monday nights in 2013) because of the high uptake of Foxtel on the Northern Beaches whilst the housos that support Canterbury, Souffs and Wests don't give the same return for Fox.

So you pretty much just reiterated what I said - that Manly don't rate on FTA...

Lambretta

First Grade
I thought Rugby League had gotten rid of the draw in favour of Golden showers

Now I'm all confused.

Will never happen as the players would have a massive whinge about the # of games they'd have to play and head off to earn $150,000 (or less depending on the ARU's financial position) a year playing Super Rugby:lol:

If the NRL want to drive crowds/ratings, they need to set the draw under a "conference system". Conferences to have no impact of finals (unlike US sports), with the top 8 to still make the finals, but that way the Eels could be guaranteed 2 games a year against fellow westies Penrith, Bulldogs and Tigpies. The QLD sides could get 2 guaranteed games against each other.

4 Conferences of 4:

Eels, Dogs, WT & Panthers
St G, Sharks, Souths, Roosters
Manly, Melbourne, Canberra, Newcastle
Gold Coast, Brisbane, Cows, NZ

And if the Sharks get relocated to QLD, it makes the QLD conference even easier to select :D

Play all teams once, everyone in your own conference twice, plus 2 random teams in other conference twice = 24 games + 2 byes if necessary.

While they're at it, the NRL should look at the schedule for the more remote teams/locations. NZ should be playing at least 2 QLD sides in consecutive weeks to reduce their "back and forth" travel over the ditch because they could stay in Oz for the week. Same goes for NQ coming to play Sydney teams.

LineBall

Juniors
When expansion eventually happens - I think they will move to teams playing each other only once during the regular season. So with an 18 team comp - you will have 17 rounds. Gives plenty of time through the year to had stand alone origins, tests and WCC as well. Much fairer IMO.

Card Shark

Immortal
When expansion eventually happens - I think they will move to teams playing each other only once during the regular season. So with an 18 team comp - you will have 17 rounds. Gives plenty of time through the year to had stand alone origins, tests and WCC as well. Much fairer IMO.

Fairer yes but who's paying the bills?

The game will lose 1/4 of it's revenue.

Mate that's never going to happen.

They'd be more likely to actually extend the comp rather than shorten it if any changes were to be made to the current format.

Mate that's never going to happen.

They'd be more likely to actually extend the comp rather than shorten it if any changes were to be made to the current format.

Agreed. Can you imgaine the ARLC going to Fox and the free to air networks and saying "we're offering less games next year than this year but we expect you to pay the same amount or more for the rights to broadcast them." They'd be laughed out of the building.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
Agreed. Can you imgaine the ARLC going to Fox and the free to air networks and saying "we're offering less games next year that this year but we expect you to pay the same amount or more for the rights to broadcast them." They'd be laughed out of the building.

Agreed - The only way the ARLC would get more money for less product would be if the quality of each game was much, much higher and therefore demanding huge audiences

That would mean a concentrated player pool - say 12 teams each playing home and away for 22 games

That would mean merging or culling of clubs, rather than expansion and whoops, look we have another Super League f**k up.

It's about as likely as that bird from the "internet pays me $97 an hour" ad reaching out of my screen and giving me a hand job as I type this.

PS If she could do that, she'd be getting more than $97 a hour......

mongoose

Coach
If Ch 9. want better ratings then how about this. PLAY THE SUNDAY GAME LIVE! FFS

Can anyone explain to me the reason for the delayed telecast?