What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Nasir Hossain Appreciation thread

Helmet Man

Juniors
Hasn't been getting the credit that he deserves. Bangladesh have produced a fantastic batsmen in Nasir Hossain. Only 21 years of age, debuted at 19 years of age and hasn't looked back. Has taken a massive load of Shakib to score majority of the Bangladesh's total. I think Nasir is currently Bangladesh's most valuable player.

At the moment he averages 47 with the bat in tests. This is massive for a young cricketer coming in. On top of that he averages 45 in ODIs. And the unbelievable thing is that he bats at #6 and #7. He is the Michael Bevan of Bangladesh.

He can bat up the order but his biggest characteristic is getting Bangladesh out of trouble in any situation. He can chase any total down and he is a calculated customer. Doesn't get fazed be any situation. Then there is Cowan, Phil Hughes, Khawaja who shit there pants in every given situation... lol

He is a player who plays with confidence. He has single handedly won Bangladesh many matches (e.g. Asia Cup win against India).

Commies talk about other young cricketers such as Nasir Jamshed, Dinesh Chandimal, Quinton De Kock, Root, Buttler, Bairstow etc. Nasir Hossain has shown to be a very consistent performer yet is still unknown to the cricket world.

He is the next big thing in World Cricket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/Australia/content/player/300618.html

TheParraboy

Staff member
Has only played 10 tests against only SL, WI, Zimbabwe and Pakistan
10 tests in 2 years , gee that's not a lot. Bangers really need to play more tests, though they need to get their backyeard fixed more so.

Love to see where he is after 30 tests, and how he goes against more test cricket savy nations

Timbo

Staff member
1 hundred in 18 innings, FC average of 39.

If he kicks on great but I'm unconvinced.

Helmet Man

Juniors
I think I need to list some matches where he rescued Bangladesh. He has had 3 scores in the 90s i believe. Suffers the 'Nervous Nineties' syndrome.

He has changed as a player since playing the FC cricket. He thrives in pressure cooker situations, almost like M. Hussey. I think that's what sets him apart from his peers.

Helmet Man

Juniors
1 hundred in 18 innings, FC average of 39.

If he kicks on great but I'm unconvinced.

Maintaining a test average of 47 over 19 innings, whilst scoring only 1 hundred goes to show how consistent he has been. Especially for a youngster coming into the team.

Helmet Man

Juniors
Has only played 10 tests against only SL, WI, Zimbabwe and Pakistan
10 tests in 2 years , gee that's not a lot. Bangers really need to play more tests, though they need to get their backyeard fixed more so.

Love to see where he is after 30 tests, and how he goes against more test cricket savy nations

The amount of test matches Bangladesh play are disgraceful. Like atm they are having a break of almost 5 months. Why cant ICC step in to encourage bigger teams to play BD? It isn't going to help if BD sit on their backside relaxing whilst copping shit from other people saying BD dont deserve test status when they barely play any test matches.

Nasir has that simple but effective gameplan. "I'll respect your good balls but bowl me a bad ball and i'll hit you". Very good temperament. I'll link some matches were he came outta nowhere to win games for his country. I feel BD have found something special.

Surprisingly Bangladesh are the #2 team in the world in terms of most runs scored through the middle order in ODIs. Who would have thought that? #1 is India. That is why I believe if Bangladesh find two quality top order batsmen then they will be a much different side because they are already set in the middle/lower order with Mushfiqur Rahim, Shakib Al Hasan and Nasir Hossain as these 3 score majority of the team's runs (alongside Tamim).

Last edited:

Tom Shines

First Grade
Was about to blow up and say if you love his commentary so much, why couldn't you spell his name correctly?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why doesn't Bangladesh play the big teams more often? Because they get flogged by an innings every time. If Hussain is the next big thing in world cricket, then world cricket is on the slide with no hope of recovery.

Helmet Man

Juniors
People may hate but until people watch this young kid bat they don't know what they are missing out on. He got Bangladesh home today. Shamsur and Naeem built the platform but in an under pressure situation he comes up with the goods once again.

There are special qualities about him. Just to make you guys aware he averages 117 in successful chases in ODIs. Shows how instrumental he has been in all of Bangladesh's wins. Only 21 years old Bangladesh have a great talent in their hands.

TheParraboy

Staff member
People may hate but until people watch this young kid bat they don't know what they are missing out on. He got Bangladesh home today. Shamsur and Naeem built the platform but in an under pressure situation he comes up with the goods once again.

There are special qualities about him. Just to make you guys aware he averages 117 in successful chases in ODIs. Shows how instrumental he has been in all of Bangladesh's wins. Only 21 years old Bangladesh have a great talent in their hands.

Didn't do much in the first two ODIs (actually pathetic there really) and don't think he didt anything great in the two tests prior. Sure he got Bangers home in the 3rd one dayer, but it was a dead rubber, series already won by Bangers. So he never really had a hand in winning the series, which would have been a better praise for him than simply chasing down a dead rubber with a score of 44 of 38 balls

Are you using another score in a different series to get the 117 average? :?

Last edited:

Helmet Man

Juniors
Didn't do much in the first two ODIs (actually pathetic there really) and don't think he didn't anything great in the two tests prior. Sure he got Bangers home in the 3rd one dayer, but it was a dead rubber, series already won by Bangers. So he never really had a hand in winning the series

Are you using another score in a different series to get the 117 average? :?

Yes as i just said he averages 117 in successful run chases.

Be it a dead rubber or not at the end of the day they still chased down 300.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Unfortunately he averages 27.00 in unsuccessful run chases.

Good cricketer maybe, but let's see how appreciative of him people will be in 5 or even 2 years time.

People were saying Ashraful and Tamin were the next big things too.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Good cricketer maybe, but let's see how appreciative of him people will be in 5 or even 2 years time.

this

Helmet Man

Juniors

True we should see his stats in 2 or 3 years time to see if he can fulfill his potential. But from my observations and the way he goes about his work tells me that he is going to be a unique cricketer.

Btw i think it's a bit premature to write off Tamim just yet. Has all the potential in the world to be the next big thing. Yes he is definitely not at that stage but he still has time on his side to address his fitness issues and temperament to convert his fifties to centuries. Scores so many 50s but struggles to convert any of them.

Just to give an overview Tamim has scored 25 fifties in odis. He has only scored 4 centuries. Disgraceful conversion rate and if he improves this area his average in general will be bolstered by a great margin.

One thing that pisses me off is the FTP. Bangladesh's next series is in February of next year. That is ridiculous. They are only 1 point behind NZ in ODI rankings and 7 points behind WI. If they play a series in that time period then they will comfortably be #7 on the ODIs rankings. But now due to lack of matches this wont happen.

It's just disgusting how ICC isn't doing anything. Bangladesh's progress are getting hindered big time.

Last edited:

Helmet Man

Juniors
This guy is a very unlucky cricketer. Looking set for a big score and then Paul Reiffel takes it away from him. 1 poor decision against the batsmen might be alright but 2 in the same test match is a bit too unlucky. Bangladesh really need DRS more than any other country. Hopefully he keeps his head up and performs in the ODI and T20 series because he is a quality player.
Hossain had tried to cut an Ajantha Mendis delivery late in the day and was caught low by wicketkeeper Dinesh Chandimal. The Sri Lankan close-in fielders went up in a huge appeal, but the batsman and the non-striker Mahmudullah were crestfallen. After coach Shane Jurgensen saw a replay of the dismissal on the team analyst's laptop, he let out a scream that showed the frustration in the team. Later, Shamsur Rahman termed it a "bad decision".
http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-sri-lanka-2013-14/content/story/716945.html