What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Centralised venues strategy: Dragons

nrlnrl

First Grade
Probably should have been 5 games in Wollongong but ultimately this type of strategy is what will see the Dragons crack the 20k attendance mark by 2020.

Dragons vs Eels - Easter Sunday at Homebush - 40k+
Dragons vs Roosters - Anzac Day at SFS - 40k+
Dragons vs Rabbitohs - Heritage Round at SCG - 35k+
Dragons vs Bulldogs - Red vs Blue at Homebush - 40k+

They didn't specify the breakdown by listing it as four games each at Kogarah & Wollongong - or am I reading too much into it ?

"The Dragons will retain eight home games per season at the traditional venues of WIN Jubilee Oval, Kogarah and WIN Stadium, Wollongong".

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's always been equal, it always will be equal. St George will never given the southerners more games than Kogarah gets. It'll be 4-4-4.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
WTs have done this for next year....a bronze (GA) membership at ANZ for four home games and three reciprocal was $50....add another two flexi tix @ $25 to games at Cambo/Leichhardt and nine games for $75 is a steal

That's amazing value for money from the Tigers.

So next year a Red V member could potentially attend all 12 home matches plus an additional 2-3 reciprocal rights away matches as part of their season ticket.

That's 14-15 games total. Wonder what the prices will be.

I didn't mention soccer. Not once .
I said the council reckon they can get more money from another code.
Which is what I am lead to believe they have claimed.
I also said I reckon they'd want to develop the joint given half a chance.
That is me speculating .

For the record .. Reports are the dragons were 18 months behind in paying the rent, not the 12 I stated earlier.

As someone else suggested, given the money the state and federal governments have put into the joint I'd be stunned if they didn't have a clause to stop a redevelopment.

At least for X amount of years.

Saint Doc

Coach
HOME AWAY FROM HOME

How St George Illawarra will split their 12 home games for the next four years:

* 4 games at WIN Stadium

* 4 games at WIN Jubilee Oval

* 2 games at ANZ Stadium v Bulldogs and Tigers/Eels

* 1 Heritage Round game at Sydney Cricket Ground v South Sydney

* 1 game at Allianz Stadium v Roosters (either Anzac Day or another round)

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rom-wollongong-home-games-20131118-2xrmt.html

paulmac

Juniors
Seriously this sux if you are from the Illawarra.Their 6 games should be protected I can't believe more hasn't been said about this.At this rate Gosford will see more NRL than the gong.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Seriously, what other team or code would be in the frame to use Jubilee?

Sydney FC's first team have been using it for pre-season and in-season games in the A-League, pretty sure it's also home base for the Youth and Women's teams as well.

Given its shape, AFL and cricket might also be a shot.

If they are running second last and Parramatta are running last on a cold Saturday night at ANZ, they'll be lucky to get a couple of thousand there.
That's a positive outlook.

Conversely you could say if they're both running top 4 they're gonna easily pack Kogarah or Wollongong and need the size of an ANZ to cater to the expected crowd.

It's always been equal, it always will be equal. St George will never given the southerners more games than Kogarah gets. It'll be 4-4-4.

:/

Wollongong has had more games than Kogarah on several occasions, including THIS f**kING YEAR.

:crazy:

franklin2323

Immortal
Pretty unfair for us folk from Wollongong. Not only have they moved two games from the gong but have moved 2 from the next closest venue. I have 1.5k work of memberships which I probably wont renew

Yep. Add to that could be an important game say against Bulldogs now gets played at their home ground. That said 4 games is better then no club.

firechild

First Grade
Pretty shit that the government forked out so much money to upgrade 2 grounds that will host 4 games a year each while Brookvale, which hosts 10 games a year gets shafted.

docbrown

Coach
They didn't specify the breakdown by listing it as four games each at Kogarah & Wollongong - or am I reading too much into it ?

"The Dragons will retain eight home games per season at the traditional venues of WIN Jubilee Oval, Kogarah and WIN Stadium, Wollongong".

It was mentioned elsewhere but given the 8 other home games in Sydney plus all the other away games in Sydney it's not unreasonable that an area like Wollongong deserves at least 5 games in the region each year.

A better split might have been 2 ANZ, 2 SFS/SCG, 3 Kogarah, 5 Wollongong with the 7 Sydney home games included in a reciprocal rights members package with 5 other away games (12 game package total).

Like I said -

Dragons vs Eels - Easter Sunday at Homebush - 40k+
Dragons vs Roosters - Anzac Day at SFS - 40k+
Dragons vs Rabbitohs - Heritage Round at SCG - 35k+
Dragons vs Bulldogs - Red vs Blue at Homebush - 40k+

These are blockbusters waiting to happen and could get in 4 games almost all of what they got last year over 12 games... it also doesn't include the Sharks derby and other potential big matches.

carcharias

Immortal
You did?

All you said is that they may be pricing out the Dragons as an excuse to redevelop the site.

Im curious as to who the backup tenants would be if that plan is untenable

Edit: So a park soccer club would be the answer? Huge step down in turnover you'd think

this might be the answer you were after.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/1...-league-surrenders-to-the-round-ball/?cs=1255

FOR the first time in more than 60 years, the round ball game will take over from rugby league at WIN Jubilee Oval, Kogarah, the home of St George Illawarra Dragons.

St George Football Club, just promoted to the Football NSW Premier League first division, will play all their 11 home games at Jubilee Oval, which in the past decade has benefited from $37 million in government grants ? aimed to improve facilities for the mainly larger rugby league crowds.
As well as hosting Premier League matches, Sydney FC will again play pre-season games at Kogarah before the 2014 A-League season begins, along with guest appearances by the Australian Socceroos, who beat Costa Rica 1-0 on Tuesday night and who will continue to use Kogarah as a Sydney training base leading up to the World Cup, as will the women's national team, the Matildas.
In comparison, St George Illawarra Dragons have been savaged by fan reaction to their decision to play only three or four of their 12 home games at Jubilee Oval, their spiritual home since 1950.
On Monday, the club announced a "right game, right venue" strategy, which moves four home games from Kogarah and Wollongong to the bigger Sydney stadia for at least the next four seasons as the club searches for greater membership numbers ? and more dollars.
The Dragons will host traditional foes South Sydney in a heritage round match at the SCG, continue to alternate hosting rights for the Anzac Day clash with the Roosters at Allianz Stadium; play the Bulldogs home-and-away at ANZ Stadium each year, and welcoming the Tigers or Eels to Homebush.
In 2013, the Dragons home crowd average fell to 12,422 (13th out of 16 in the NRL) in line with their lack of success last year (finished 14th).
And only two months ago, it was announced that St George District Rugby League, 50 per cent stakeholders in St George Illawarra Dragons, owed Kogarah Council more than $250,000 in rent for the lease of Jubilee Oval, and had entered into a new repayment plan, after falling 18 months behind. So the Dragons decided to take the $100,000 carrot to transfer home games to the major stadia where the likes of South Sydney and Canterbury Bulldogs play their home games.
Dragons CEO Peter Doust said: "We would ask people to understand this is a decision for the long-term viability of the Dragons and it's for the long-term continued investment in our communities across our region.
"Give us the opportunity to prove that and not look at it superficially being a couple of games from our traditional venues."
St George FC, home of the late, great Socceroo captain Johnny Warren, is thrilled about "taking over" Jubilee Oval, where they say they only need 200 paying fans to break even next year.
??It is a bit surprising the Dragons have done that, because you always have to appeal to your local fan base,?? said longtime St George FC president Ross Gardner. ??But we?re more than happy to fill the void. ??We will be building a new home ground but in the meantime we applied [to the council] and was granted approval so we could kick off our return to the Premier League.
??We?ve managed to keep our team together which won the State League, and we?re in the process of finding Premier League players to add to our squad. It is a very exciting time for us and for football in general.??
Kogarah Jubilee has been the home ground of St George rugby league since 1950 after it was constructed in Kogarah Park for Kogarah?s jubilee celebrations in 1936.
Saints were based at Kogarah during their world record-breaking 11 successive premierships (1956-1966).
Since their return to Kogarah in 2003, league crowds have benefited by large grandstand and ground extensions, and more recently the ??boutique?? ground has hosted the Australian Socceroos, the Kangaroos, Manchester United, Sydney FC and St George Football Club (soccer).

Related story for R2K comments: http://www.theleader.com.au/story/1917708/r2k-fans-breathe-fire-dragons-to-move-four-games-from-kogarah-and-wollongong-next-season/?cs=1633

Lambretta

First Grade
All games should be played at Wollongong

Brilliant idea

All 8 NRL games every weekend should be played in Woollongong

Imagine the excitement at the thought of a 3am kick off Saturday morning between Penrith and North Queensland.

Kiama's blowhole won't be the only landmark with huge squirts coming from it, I'll wager.

Let's all get behind this idea

Latest posts