What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ranking the clubs fullbacks

Sir Lemon Goat

Juniors
As of now IMO:

1. Inglis(Souffs)
2. Slater(Storm)
3. Dugan(Dragons)
4. Stewart(Manly)
5. Boyd(Knights)
6. Tomkins(may end up higher)(NZ)
7. Gordon(Sharks)
8. Hayne(if injury-free season and consistent may move up)(Parra)
9. Barba(very hard to rank considering up-down season)(Broncos)
11. Locke(clubless)
12.Robinson(solid, doesn't have that spark or playmaking finesse, however when he has good games he is extremely good, nevertheless reliable utility)
12. Minichiello(very solid season. one of the safest, did his job. however doesn't have that attacking ability. just great work ethic and leader)
13. Hoffman(plays great at wing. will flourish at another club. saw glimpses of ability e.g vs Eels)
14. Moylan(early days. will rise up expect)
15. Tedesco(early days)
16. Zillman(improved. good positional play, good stats this year, fast however can't put him above other fullbacks)
17. Coote(once again hard to rank. been out very long. may have lost touch. not as good as fullbacks above IMO)

I expect Tuivasa-Sheck will become fullback next year and will rate highly on the list, will become dangerous fullback in future. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is a fullback but hard to crack the Panthers backline, very impressive youth. he is a gun. Milford MAY play fullback and is he does he will crack the list, very versatile player extremely impressive young talent. Tomkins can go either way, unfortunately his talent may not be extracted by Elliott. Lots of talent in Warriors squad e.g. Matulino, Mateo, Hurrell, Johnson but have a crap coach. If they get a good coach and he does what Robinson did to the likes of Hargreaves, Tupou, Guerra, Cordner and unlocked their potential they'll be top 3 side for sure.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Slater, and this is from a Wests aupporter.

Best fullback I have ever seen and I can remember back to Langlands.

On his day, Joe Cool (Dorahy) had unbelievable skills; but not on a consistent basis.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Good class of fullbacks ATM but really slater, inglis and Hayne are the top echelon. Slater probably the best purely on consistency

Stewart next, then Dugan and a few others

My opinion anyway

Special K

Coach
Yeah I wouldn't swap Gordon for Boyd but I would swap him for Stewart, Slater, Inglis, Hayne. Inglis imo is the best

Loudstrat

Coach
Gotta agree with Vic. Slater has been excellent, but those days are slipping by. GI is the man now. Slater and Snake are on the downhill slide but are still class. Dugan needs to be more than a fits and starts flash in the pan to really rise.

Gordon' great, buy Hayne is better.

Boyd is shit.

some11

Referee
Hoping RTS usurps Mini sooner rather than later, if only for fantasy league purposes..

ATM the Top 16 Fullback's List would go:

1. Inglis - i would think this is probably a near-unanimous decision, he is a freak
2. Slater - not in the prime of his career anymore but shows how good he is that IMO he still ranks second
3. Hayne - is an absolute freak on his day, never seen anybody play better than him in 09, needs to stay injury free
4. Dugan - may be d*ckhead off the field but cant deny his skill on it
5. Stewart - very consistent, is the best ball playing fullback in the game and maybe the best defender swell
6. Barba - had an average season hampered by off-field issues and injuries but on his day can score from anywhere
7. Tomkins - very quick and elusive, think the Warriors have made a great signing with this one
8. Gordon - played very well for Cronulla this year, fast, elusive, great try scorer
9. Boyd - very good player but i think he is overrated, can't understand how he keeps a wing spot in the Kangaroos team
10. Milford - IMO the best player in the game under the age of 20, expect him to reach the top 5 sooner rather than later
11. Hoffman - plays fullback for new zealand, very strong runner with good footwork
12. Minichiello - testimony to his commitment that he can remain on this list at the age of 33, IMO he is still the best fullback in the NRL under the high ball, as a Roosters fan who watches all of there game i can only recall him dropping 1 bomb all year
13. Locke - IMO has huge potential but i have heard he is pretty unprofessional with his attitude to training and diet
14. Robinson - late bloomer but a very good player, would start at fullback for alot of clubs but Milford keeps him out of it
15. Tuivasa-Sheck - no doubt the Roosters long-term fullback, incredible footwork and speed, i also expect him to reach the top 5 in a few years
16 - Tedesco - i really like him as a player, fearless in defence, good footwork, still only 20, big future ahead IMO

Not on the List:
Nathan Gardner - good enough to start in the NRL imo but unlucky with Gordon in front of him
Peta Hiku - impressed me alot filling in for Brett Stewart at manly when he played, think he will be a starter in the future
Lachlan Coote - talented but IMO the best i have ever seen him play was late 2012 when he was at five-eight
Matt Moylan - i dont rate him that highly, had a solid debut season but IMO he will soon lose the no. 1 jersey to Watene-Zelezniak, James Roberts or Kevin Naiqama, think he is more of a five-eight
Will Zillman - i dont think he is a fullback either, talented player who i think could find another spot in the backline at centre or wing
Evander Cummins - very impressive fullback in holden cup with his speed and footwork but he got sacked by St George at the end of this year for attitude problems and is quite small
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - i think he may go on a Mormon Mission at some stage but hope to see him in the NRL before he goes, DWZ, RTS and Milf will begin the new age of elite fullbacks

_Johnsy

Referee
As of now IMO:

1. Inglis(Souffs)
2. Slater(Storm)
3. Dugan(Dragons)
4. Stewart(Manly)
5. Boyd(Knights)
6. Tomkins(may end up higher)(NZ)
7. Gordon(Sharks)
8. Hayne(if injury-free season and consistent may move up)(Parra)
9. Barba(very hard to rank considering up-down season)(Broncos)
11. Locke(clubless)
12.Robinson(solid, doesn't have that spark or playmaking finesse, however when he has good games he is extremely good, nevertheless reliable utility)
12. Minichiello(very solid season. one of the safest, did his job. however doesn't have that attacking ability. just great work ethic and leader)
13. Hoffman(plays great at wing. will flourish at another club. saw glimpses of ability e.g vs Eels)
14. Moylan(early days. will rise up expect)
15. Tedesco(early days)
16. Zillman(improved. good positional play, good stats this year, fast however can't put him above other fullbacks)
17. Coote(once again hard to rank. been out very long. may have lost touch. not as good as fullbacks above IMO)

I expect Tuivasa-Sheck will become fullback next year and will rate highly on the list, will become dangerous fullback in future. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is a fullback but hard to crack the Panthers backline, very impressive youth. he is a gun. Milford MAY play fullback and is he does he will crack the list, very versatile player extremely impressive young talent. Tomkins can go either way, unfortunately his talent may not be extracted by Elliott. Lots of talent in Warriors squad e.g. Matulino, Mateo, Hurrell, Johnson but have a crap coach. If they get a good coach and he does what Robinson did to the likes of Hargreaves, Tupou, Guerra, Cordner and unlocked their potential they'll be top 3 side for sure.

Inglis > Slater > Barba > Hayne

Was arguably the best player in the NRL 12 months ago, a patchy season because of off field issues doesn't really change that

wow

BranVan3000

Coach
No but maybe you know, the fact that he's played 5 years of first grade for 1 awesome season does.
No its not five years, he only played a couple of games in 2007 and 2008. Most of 2009 was in reserve grade he only played a couple of games. 2010 he really took off and but he only started as a fullback in 2011, and from there he has scored 72 tries from 97 appearances. You don't do that with one good season. He was the leading try scorer in 11, and 12 at fullback. Oh and Dally M medallist

Lambretta

First Grade
When Mini was injured in 2013 the Roosters leaked loads more points with RTS at the back. It's not his speed or natural ability that was in question, but his positioning and communication with Tupou was really poor.

More often than not the ball found the ground and we ended up being caught in goal and had to face repeat sets. Eventually, with a weakened back line we let in points.

Mini, more often than not, catches the ball on the fly and runs the ball back setting up the next set for the Roosters.

RTS can learn the positioning - and I'm sure he will. But Mini proved his value last year purely by the way he reads the game and communicates and tells the others where to go. I know he's not a top 10 fullback any more, but I'm so bloody glad he's a Rooster.