What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Centralised venues strategy: Dragons

papabear

Juniors
imo
they should have 5 games at sfs scg
6 at the gong
and one token game against a shit drawing side ie nq or gc at oki.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dragons fans need to wake up to the financial situation the club is in. Better games elsewhere than not at all.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Our poor attendance at our home grounds have pushed the club financially to have to make this decision.

Sure the board and the coach have answering to do for our results over the last two years but the drop off in attendance has been poor form by the supportors.

clarency

Juniors
Umm. If the club has to play at like 231 "home" grounds because they can't break even at one... They shouldn't be playing top grade.

And I'm a fan of the dragons.

That said I don't care. They can play wherever they want.

Still want to see a stand alone Illawarra team.

slipperykinchela

First Grade
Steelers fans have been short-changed since day 1. Not much we could or can do about it though.

Absolute bullshit. The gong have had far more games than Kogarah since the merger started.The Anzac Day game is always taken out of Kogarahs allocation and never the gongs.

slipperykinchela

First Grade
Umm. If the club has to play at like 231 "home" grounds because they can't break even at one... They shouldn't be playing top grade.

And I'm a fan of the dragons.

That said I don't care. They can play wherever they want.

Still want to see a stand alone Illawarra team.

Very happy to have st George and illawarra as stand alone clubs, illawarra would last one year maximum.

As for crowds being down due to poor performance, this will get worse as the team struggles to win away.we are a fringe 8 team at best, gifting 4 away games or 8 points ensures we won't make it.

innsaneink

Referee
Very happy to have st George and illawarra as stand alone clubs, illawarra would last one year maximum.

As for crowds being down due to poor performance, this will get worse as the team struggles to win away.we are a fringe 8 team at best, gifting 4 away games or 8 points ensures we won't make it.
You wouldnt beat Souths Roosters or Dogs at Kogarah anyway so may as well make a motza.
Tigers - might get one up there

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
thats a crock , win tv would own the club and put in a lot of money , also theres lots of mining organisations on the south coast who would sponsor them

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

If this is the case, why didn't it happen before. There would be no team in the illawarra.

slipperykinchela

First Grade
thats a crock , win tv would own the club and put in a lot of money , also theres lots of mining organisations on the south coast who would sponsor them

BHP were the major sponsor when the Steelers were broke so I can't see how it would be different, Gordon has also been around forever & was never the white knight

hardbaby

Coach
Our poor attendance at our home grounds have pushed the club financially to have to make this decision.

Sure the board and the coach have answering to do for our results over the last two years but the drop off in attendance has been poor form by the supportors.

Yep that's how I feel. Our home ground attendances have been embarassing. It's a purely commercial decision and a good one (although I do think it should be a 5:3 Gong:Kogarah split).

One of the problems for the Dragons is that so many of their supporters live in far-flung places. I work remote and didn't get to a single game this year. I still paid for a membership, bought some gear and paid for a foxtel subscription. So I support the club to the best of my ability.

There are lots of guys like me who struggle getting to games. I guarantee if you played a game in Darwin, Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth, the Dragons would attract far more supporters than any other away team in the league. But that doesn't help us much financially.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
We're just the first club to go cap in hand to the NRL.

The NRLwants this venue strategy and they'll get it. I see Saints being based back in the Sydney metro area full time in a few years. Maybe even the end of the JV.

hardbaby

Coach
We're just the first club to go cap in hand to the NRL.

The NRLwants this venue strategy and they'll get it. I see Saints being based back in the Sydney metro area full time in a few years. Maybe even the end of the JV.

Really? I don't understand the financials of the joint venture well enough to comment on that side of it. But surely Illawarra with its population base and junior base adds great value over time. Truth is the Dragons heartland has a demographic that is increasingly not interested in rugby league. But it's different in the Gong. I think the management needs to get much better at reaching that supporter base.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Yep that's how I feel. Our home ground attendances have been embarassing. It's a purely commercial decision and a good one (although I do think it should be a 5:3 Gong:Kogarah split).

One of the problems for the Dragons is that so many of their supporters live in far-flung places. I work remote and didn't get to a single game this year. I still paid for a membership, bought some gear and paid for a foxtel subscription. So I support the club to the best of my ability.

There are lots of guys like me who struggle getting to games. I guarantee if you played a game in Darwin, Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth, the Dragons would attract far more supporters than any other away team in the league. But that doesn't help us much financially.

I've got flown over from Perth on average once a year to watch games at Kogarah since 05. I love being at that ground so much, but at times I'm almost embarrassed by the size of the crowd. I can't understand it, it should be packed out every game.

it should have at least been trialled at 2 games a year for the next 2 years at SFS/ANZ, with a 5/5 split between the Gong and Kogarah. If the neutral stadiums are successful, then I'd increase the ''neutral stadiums'' to an extra game per year.