What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

some11

Referee
As far as his man management goes, he always struck me as a hard-arse who wont tolerate shit which is probably what Canberra needs but after a while it gets too much for him and the players.

There's coaches who will give the team a spray when they need it and get pissed off in the box but are otherwise a picture of fortitude and that transfers to the players, Stuart just seems like he's on edge all the time.

Last edited:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
As far as his man managing goes, he always struck me as a hard-arse who wont tolerate shit which is probably what Canberra needs but after a while it gets too much for him and the players.

There's coaches who will give the team a spray when they need it and get pissed off in the box but are otherwise a picture of fortitude and that transfers to the players, Stuart just seems like he's on edge all the time.

Have to agree with that.

Our team is in good need of a kick up the bum and hopefully he can deliver that.

But my concern would be his approach wearing a bit thin after a while. He's off to a good start though, re-signing guys like Jack Wighton, Edrick and Brenko Lee plus the Pengai clan.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What were Parramatta's last 51 games like?
Mate i was where you were 12 months ago, i hoped that he could turn us around, I deluded myself into believing that he could do a job. He's a myth, a joke and a shit human being who's mates in the media build him up as some coaching messiah when is really a joke. To be fair he had a shit squad to work with but as hard is it is to believe we were worse under him than Kearney. Good luck Raider fans you are going to need it.

typicalfan

Coach
Just remember that was the side Kearney built, not Stuart. That Parra side was the worst team on paper I have seen for a long time and the star player was injured for the most part. Stuart has it all to prove at the Raiders the jury is out imo. You can blame Stuart for the way he left but not many coaches in the NRL would have done that well with the Parra side of 2013.

Raider_69

Post Whore
TBH i think success in sport is a lot about circumstance... being the right man, at the right place, at the right time
Take Stephen Kearney for example, currently a walking punchline, but you recon if Bellamy retired 3 years ago and SK took over that storm job they'd have sunk like a stone? No chance. We'd all be sitting here talking about what a fantastic young coach he is. Do you recon Bellamy coaching the Eels last year would have catapulted them beyond about 15th spot? No a chance.

No one is sold on Stuart as a coach, even most raiders fans aren't, but so far he's brought a lot of passion and professionalism to the club, which is two things we were sorely lacking, but he's proven in the right circumstance he can be effective. We'll see if Stuart is the right man, right time for the Raiders.

I dont hold anything he did at Parramatta against him, he blew that roster up because that's what it needed. He looked worse than SK because he was willing to blow the entire thing up good and proper to end the rot. King Arthur will be sitting at home tonight thanking his god that Stuart cleaned that pig sty up a little for him.

I love Ricky, purely for the fact he gets under QLD'ers skin so easily by doing SFA.

Keep up the great work sticky.

Ricky is old news ,a side show (good for a giggle)to the Main Event for Qlders.
That brain dead on the right & his man love/obsession with the useless turd with him are what really gets the big laughs from Qlders.

Eelementary

Post Whore
TBH i think success in sport is a lot about circumstance... being the right man, at the right place, at the right time
Take Stephen Kearney for example, currently a walking punchline, but you recon if Bellamy retired 3 years ago and SK took over that storm job they'd have sunk like a stone? No chance. We'd all be sitting here talking about what a fantastic young coach he is. Do you recon Bellamy coaching the Eels last year would have catapulted them beyond about 15th spot? No a chance.

No one is sold on Stuart as a coach, even most raiders fans aren't, but so far he's brought a lot of passion and professionalism to the club, which is two things we were sorely lacking, but he's proven in the right circumstance he can be effective. We'll see if Stuart is the right man, right time for the Raiders.

I dont hold anything he did at Parramatta against him, he blew that roster up because that's what it needed. He looked worse than SK because he was willing to blow the entire thing up good and proper to end the rot. King Arthur will be sitting at home tonight thanking his god that Stuart cleaned that pig sty up a little for him.

Well said, mate. He did a lot of good and bad things, but cutting a heap of our dead wood was the best thing he did. He also signed some pretty good players for us. Now Arthur can revel in the groundwork Sticky put in.

typicalfan

Coach
The Stuart apologists sound exactly like Parra fans last year.

I am no apologist but to say he is the worst coach in the game or worst coach ever is a complete over exaggeration. Who knows Stuart giving those players the flick could have been the tough decision that turns Parra around.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I am no apologist but to say he is the worst coach in the game or worst coach ever is a complete over exaggeration. Who knows Stuart giving those players the flick could have been the tough decision that turns Parra around.

they sure as shit werent going to win comps WITH them were they?

Nightward

Juniors
Just remember that was the side Kearney built, not Stuart.

And the Roosters team Stuart was successful with was built by Muz and Gould.

Stuart could have stuck around and tried to build a team that would be successful in the long term, but the reality is that he simply does not have the ability to do that. He is good at short-term motivation for a team but does not have the interpersonal skills needed to stay on good terms with a club or his players. He may be worthwhile as a representative-level coach (please, for the love of God keep him away from the national team) but he just doesn't have the ability to sustain his style; he just ends up pissing everyone off and needing an exit strategy that dumps all responsibility onto someone else.

juanfarkall

Coach
As I've said before, I can see some short term success at the raiders.

Things will fall apart though. There is even more pressure for Stuart at the raiders than his past clubs.

They should be good for at least 1 win this season.
One would think that even Ricky can't f**k up things at the Raiders so much that St George beat them.
After all we still have Chinny pulling down pants and his likely replacement in Mary waiting for the Crownie to be passed his way.

Loudstrat

Coach
Ricky isnt a bad coach. One of his problems is that he trumps himself up like he is Jack Gibson with decent tits.

With us, he blew into town like f*cking Winston Churchill on a tank, promising 1 year of rebuilding and then glory. He did the cull that was needed, but he did it poorly, with the club captain away. The thing that got me was that no one seemed confident at the club. After that cull heads went down. Theres a right way to do things, and a wrong way. But we had him for 3 years.....

When he f*cked off, that was weak as piss. It showed him to be everything he pretends not to be. He's a quitter. He's arrogant. He doesnt care for his players. He banned their mad monday and then left the next day. That was just nasty.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Stuart>Peter Anthony Griffin.

That was hard to admit.

I'm not sure if that is supposed to rub Broncos fans the wrong way, but all you can expect is shrugs of indifference. We don't need to be told Griffin is a terrible coach, but he's had 2 years as opposed to Stuarts 6.

Latest posts