What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Trafford v Lang Park

Loudstrat

Coach
OK - in goal death zone aside - but as good as Lang Park is - must Old Trafford be the worlds best ground to watch RL at?

If only that on goal was bigger and not so deadly. F*ck me, may have had a crocodile pit on the dead ball line. I knew England was a small island, but that's f*cking ridiculous!

But an 80k rectangular stadium with seating that close to the ground? ***drool***

Tone83

Juniors
It would be a great place to watch Rugby League, especially if you enjoy the spectacle of people dieing, and who doesn't?

blaza88z

Coach
The majority of the English soccer grounds are like that, it just adds to the spectacle having the fans so close to the game, after a goal is scored players run to a corner and get amongst it with the crowd.. it's great

I don't know how you can say "with the in-goal aside", you can't simply put it aside

Tone83

Juniors
You could make the field way smaller, I honestly think that would have been way more sensible than making the ingoals that small and that close to the fences. They could have had the ingoals normal with normal space behind them before the fence, and then made the playing field about 60 metres long. Not ideal, but better than what they did. Just lumping all the sacrifice with ingoals and the space behind them was an idiotic move which almost resulted in the death of two players.

Loudstrat

Coach
I agree. I think Castleford's home ground is not 100m long due to the same problems. I have no problem with a skinny in goal, but the cliff of death - yeah.
The majority of the English soccer grounds are like that, it just adds to the spectacle having the fans so close to the game, after a goal is scored players run to a corner and get amongst it with the crowd.. it's great

I don't know how you can say "with the in-goal aside", you can't simply put it aside
FFS I was talking about from the fans viewing point of view. If you built and exact replica that was 3m longer at each end and without the dip.........

Having been to both, Old Trafford leaves Lang Park in it's wake. If it wasn't for all the QLD navel gazing, we wouldnt be even considering this as Lang Park as a stadium is a ordinary place to watch sport.

Tone83

Juniors
Lang park, aka suncorp stadium is the only proper stadium I've been too, and I think it's shit, but I just assumed they all must be shit. So much better on tv, and watching the clydesdales from the es "n****r" brown stand in toowoomba shat all over watching the broncs from suncorp stadium. I just don't understand the appeal of stadiums at all. For league especially. Cricket is better at the ground but league suffers from it's own success due to being too good on tv.

stevie013

Juniors
i think all ingoals should be the same size as the one in the final. would make scoring tries off kicks even better. but that is a conversation for another thread i guess.

as for atmosphere, it looked amazing.

WireMan

Bench

The majority of Rugby grounds are also like this. Saints and Warrington for example. Johnson commented on it after the NZ vs Samoa game.

It is the stupid obsession to make grounds oval that ruin it in Aus.

It doesn't help that no one in Aus seem to own their own grounds. Most clubs in the UK own the ground they play in so don't have to make it accessible to athletics, cricket or any other sport. Hence the death trap at OT.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
there were some awesome shots of old trafford with the pink sky behind it - actually made me jealous. i dont follow soccer so i havent seen old trafford on tv in years but that ground looked spectacular.

Imagine something like that in sydney instead of that abomination at homebush.

***MH***

Bench
RL needs to embrace 90m fields for League to succeed in Europe. Cut off 5 meters between the 30m and 40m on either end of the field. Keep the ingoals around 4 to 5 meters and you'll have 98m to 100m from end to end.

God-King Dean

Immortal
All they have to due is put down appropriate padding in the pit of death & it wouldn't be a problem at all. It baffles me they have never thought to fix this problem - I guess they are waiting to be sued.

I have no problem with the ingoals being smaller - it's better than having them 20 metres long like in Union.

_Johnsy

Referee
Having been to both, Old Trafford leaves Lang Park in it's wake. If it wasn't for all the QLD navel gazing, we wouldnt be even considering this as Lang Park as a stadium is a ordinary place to watch sport.

Just out of curiosity, how man of those offering an opinion have actually been to both grounds (apart from SGL) ?

Last edited:

Latest posts