What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

Tone83

Juniors
Got you...and I take it from the rest of your post that you are GI's dad. Is this right?
Correct. And my dad is GI's brother in law, which is how we were able to get into his apartment when he wasn't home. We've all heard the stories of GI's Brother in law's infiltration skills.

parra pete

Referee
If French has been under the care of Nathan Blacklock, that would ensure he is a person who has been pointed in the right direction.
Nathan is one of the most impressive blokes I know, a former player who is doing outstanding work in mentoring young blokes..a great role model for players who want to follow in his footsteps.
Good article by Nick Walshaw too.

The Colonel

Immortal
If French has been under the care of Nathan Blacklock, that would ensure he is a person who has been pointed in the right direction.
Nathan is one of the most impressive blokes I know, a former player who is doing outstanding work in mentoring young blokes..a great role model for players who want to follow in his footsteps.
Good article by Nick Walshaw too.

Very much so. The kid has a way to go yet but having talked to some of the Boomerangs players that have seen him play he can do just that.

As for 76 kilos. He is seventeen and he still has a bit of growing to do. Having not done any weights as the article suggests he will gain some benefit from that as he progresses.

Time.

had dinner last month with a businessman from Inverell , we started talking footy and Bevan's name came up, he said he knows the family and has meant bevan a few times and he is very level headed, a great sportsman and a credit to his family.
He said he is a mature beyond his years and could not see him getting caught up in the Sydney party lifestyle as he is not that type of kid.

parra pete

Referee
Nathan told me that he (Nathan) came to Sydney weighing 60kgs...and had never been in a gym. But he was determined to make 'it'. He made huge sacrifices to come to Sydney, but his determination paid off. French does sound like an Albert Kelly prodigious type player, but the fact that he is going to do a Uni course as well as his football, suggests to me the Eels will be keeping a fairly close eye on him.
No doubt, "Tinga" will be in contact with him also checking on his progress - as will Preston Campbell.
These blokes are no mugs. They know the opportunity that is there for the young bloke if he can handle the pressure of living in the City.
Tinga also told me that when he first came to the Big Smoke, he and another Tinga boy, PJ Ellis, were told the Roosters had lined up accommodation for them. The accommodation was at a Backpacker Hostel where he and PJ were the only two in the joint who could speak and understand English.
He said he received a letter from his dad once a week encouraging to 'do his best'. That sort of parental encouragement made a huge difference to how Nathan adapted to living in the City.
He said he used to get up at 4am every morning to go to work, catching a bus, a train, and a bus to get there, and when he knocked off, went to the Gym EVERY DAY to work on weights, and it got to the stage where he could 'pump iron' with the best of them.
Nathan said that he kept all his dad's letters, and gets them out to read when he needs inspiration.
His father passed away just a week after seeing Nathan play for Australia.
As I said, if Nathan Blacklock has anything to do with this kids development as a person, and as a player, the Eels have got themselves a player who will achieve lofty heights with the skills he possesses.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Only 17, never done weights and is 76kg , he won't have any problems putting on 15-20 kgs depending on his frame.

Does anyone know what position he plays and type of skills he has (is he a runner, or can he ball play, kick etc) ?

The Colonel

Immortal
Only 17, never done weights and is 76kg , he won't have any problems putting on 15-20 kgs depending on his frame.

Does anyone know what position he plays and type of skills he has (is he a runner, or can he ball play, kick etc) ?

Half, 5/8, Fullback.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

He's a fullback/half with speed and footwork. Probably got some measure of passing and kicking skills.

Tone83

Juniors
76 kgs at 17, having never done weights, and being an indigenous fella (often really skinny unlike islanders), isn't that bad. Nothing to say he couldn't play his first game at 90 something kilos.

Anyone know how tall he is? I'm hoping tall and rangey, in which case size won't be a problem because he'll fill out and be a beast. A short little fella will probably be limited to the halves in the long run.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Here's a picture of him from the Tele. As you can see he's taller than the stadium floodlights:
192798-801ec8ee-701d-11e3-a270-7f94192abf56.jpg

Tone83

Juniors
Heh, but he actually looks on the shorter to average side, which isn't as exciting as if he was gangly and tall. At 17 I guess you never know, he could shoot up.
I feel if he is short all he can hope to be is like barba, or a half.

Noise

Coach
Heh, but he actually looks on the shorter to average side, which isn't as exciting as if he was gangly and tall. At 17 I guess you never know, he could shoot up.
I feel if he is short all he can hope to be is like barba, or a half.

huh? If he can pick up a dally m medal (for the eels) i'll be happy