What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nintendo WiiU... the next gen kiiiiinda starts soon...

Frederick

Staff member
Yeah that merkin just said to me is backwards compatible straight out of the box.

My 3 year old was having a stress attack when I told him its not working.

When I was buying mine, I asked the salesman as EB what the differences between the basic and premium model were. He said nothing other than the hard drive. When I was looking through the instructions at home it said the basic also doesn't come with the sensor bar. I was glad that I went the premium model because I traded my wii in and wouldn't have been able to play the older games with the basic model!

adamkungl

Immortal
Well I bought a premium model. I picked up the new mario game along with cars 1 and 2 for my son.

What games are must buys. I have a ps4 but lack of games is getting me bored.

also for the wii games to work on U do I need the wii remote or will the wii u controller work?

Zelda Wind Waker if you never played it on GameCube.

Pikmin 3

Sonic Racing Transformed is a top notch Mario Kart alternative, kids should like it.

There's shit like Mass Effect 3, Batman, Ass Creed if you don't already own them on Xbox360 or PS4

Big Pete

Referee
I'd also recommend picking up Kirby Super Star off the Virtual Console if you want to give kids a sweet co-op 2D game which they should be able to play through with relative ease.

Usually I'm against picking up VC games given how readily available they are elsewhere, but multiplayer games are always worth a consideration.

Big Pete

Referee
Thanks guys. How about the donkey kong game on wii? Is it any good?

if you're a fan of the originals, you should definitely consider it. The only real downside is that you have to swing the Wii-mote to make them roll but otherwise, it's fun 2D co-op game that captures the spirit of the predecessors.

A sequal is due out in February which should be even better and there's the two Rayman games which are really cheap and just as every bit as good. I reckon the kids would especially enjoy them but they're fun for all ages.

reanimate

Bench
Twilight Princess is a great game and 10x better than Skyward Sword.

:sarcasm:

It's the worst 3D Zelda by far, it's completely devoid of imagination and any sense of exploration or innovation. Skyward Sword was a massive, massive improvement. Majora's Mask is still better than all though.

Storm13

Juniors
Well we must of played different games then ;) The constant stopping every 5 minutes in SS to listen to the hand holding crap ruined the flow of the game for me.

reanimate

Bench
Well we must of played different games then ;) The constant stopping every 5 minutes in SS to listen to the hand holding crap ruined the flow of the game for me.

Haha, maybe! ;) I thought SS and TP were equally bad in that regard (with Midna popping up all the time) so I didn't think that SS was any worse there.

Big Pete

Referee
You can't go wrong with Zelda.

TP has some of the best dungeons of any Zelda game. Just be weary of the Wolf gimmick, those portions are fairly dull but the rest of the game is perfectly fine.

SS is a more ambitious game which you'll either appreciate more for it's motion controls or loathe it. I found the concept of SS more enjoyable, the characters were more lively and the aesthetics complimented the series better than the 'dark' TP visuals. A lot of people point to your assistant as the biggest problem but I never found her that much of a nuisance.

Storm13

Juniors
Anyone played WWHD yet and is it worth the purchase even if you had already played the GC version?

Storm13

Juniors
Shame about Diddy but I'm excited about the anti gravity it should produce some great circuit designs.

I'm calling around tomorrow to hopefully see if the game breaks release day.

axl rose

Bench
Shame about Diddy but I'm excited about the anti gravity it should produce some great circuit designs.

I'm calling around tomorrow to hopefully see if the game breaks release day.

Give us a review later.

May as well buy it straight away, not as though Mario Kart games come down in price much over the years.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
Mario Kart is great as always. Love the highlight reel so I can see who exactly threw that red shell just before I cross the line. It's always Toad.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Played the new Kart at a mates place over the weekend. I reckon it's great. Takes some getting used to but the items are not as powerful and it's more skill based. I like the tracks, much more challenging than in the past. The highlights you can control are a great extra touch.