What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and General Drivel XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFR33K

Coach
How does 'not elite' mean the same as 'don't rate'? Moron.

Jamie Lyon is a very good player.

You are as thick as two f**king bricks you moron. Lyon is all class, regardless of what he done to us years ago. You obviously are to stupid to admit being wrong, but would rather argue your way out. FMD you are one dumb prick.

Eels Dude

Coach
players at manly you could class as marquee

- DCE
- Foran
- Lyon
- Watmough
- Stewart 1
- Stewart 2

They have strike weapons all over the park. manly was a terrible example to use.

penrith would look 3 times better with any one of those players

I only brought up Manly as an example because they don't have a superstar player in the Hayne, Inglis, SBW mould like you said. They have some great rep level players, and a solid squad all around the park.

I wasn't suggesting Penrith would win a premiership next year, but they're moving in the right direction to contend for one in a couple of years time. They're certainly ahead of us in trying to rebuild their club and I expect them to be pushing for a top 4 position this year, whereas I think we'll struggle to get out of the bottom 4.

Anyway, looks like that one comment has caused a chain reaction resulting in 3 pages of drivel from Poupou, so I best not say anymore.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I only brought up Manly as an example because they don't have a superstar player in the Hayne, Inglis, SBW mould like you said. They have some great rep level players, and a solid squad all around the park.

I wasn't suggesting Penrith would win a premiership next year, but they're moving in the right direction to contend for one in a couple of years time. They're certainly ahead of us in trying to rebuild their club and I expect them to be pushing for a top 4 position this year, whereas I think we'll struggle to get out of the bottom 4.

Anyway, looks like that one comment has caused a chain reaction resulting in 3 pages of drivel from Poupou, so I best not say anymore.

Totally agree mate! Penrith are like Manly of 2005. So hopefully we belt them in the semis.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Can you be 'all class' and not be 'elite'? Or is it the case that once you are better than 'very good' then you are 'elite'?

Can someone put together a sliding scale of terms from 'elite' down to 'shythouse' so that we can start getting a bit of consistency?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You are as thick as two f**king bricks you moron. Lyon is all class, regardless of what he done to us years ago. You obviously are to stupid to admit being wrong, but would rather argue your way out. FMD you are one dumb prick.

So if someone doesn't say that a player is 'elite', does that mean they think they are shit? I thought their might have been some categories in between like good, very good, OK, solid, reasonable, accomplished etc.

hindy111

Post Whore
Pou never said Lyons was shit he said he wasn't Elite.Thats a fair call.
He only has 5 players as elite.
Smith-Inglis-Hayne-Thurston-SBW

So your saying souths-roosters-parra Melbourne and cowboys are the only teams that can win comp?
Parra has one of the 5 elite players and run last two years in a row.Id rather a team where you don't rely on one player-Easier to maintain the squad -rebuild it and cope with injuries-What made the 2001 eels so good!
Last year dogs lost barba season over and same goes for Thurston hayne smith.

If the Roosters lost SBW I still think they win comp or go close too.Penrith could loose any one player and still be competitive.
Our season relies so much on an injury prone player so we are 50/50 from the start.
Tigers in 05 did have an out n out superstar -Sme might argue Benji but he wasn't Elite

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
F**k me, what have you got against Lyon? I bet you were one of the merkins who threw coins at him.

Joking

i can't believe pou thinks lyon is shit .... silly f'n merkin

Joking

Serious?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I agree Hindy that the term 'elite' should only apply to 3-5 max. As good as he is it is easy to see how Lyon might not make that list.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can you be 'all class' and not be 'elite'? Or is it the case that once you are better than 'very good' then you are 'elite'?

Can someone put together a sliding scale of terms from 'elite' down to 'shythouse' so that we can start getting a bit of consistency?

I find numbers are a better designator, because at least everyone (except iFreak) knows whether one number is higher or lower than another. The problem then becomes how some people think every player can be ranked in an absolute individual category (e.g. 'He is the 12th best player in the world') rather than players being categorised in broad (or less so) groups with other players of similar ability.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
True - those top 50 players lists are largely redundant.

I suppose it will always be subjective no matter how you categorise it. Even if you put Hayne in the 'elite' category there would be someone on here (probably IFREAK) who would argue that he is 'very elite'.

Bigfella

Coach

You were probably in a rush to your local Mensa meeting to correct basic grammar in this post.

Jason70

Juniors
Fair point. I forgot about Gasnier.
I guess even the Dragons needed that extra bit of class to get them over the line .

If you put Gasnier in the elite class you need to do the same with Darius, who was their gun player that year, he's a goose but nonetheless he w their supreme player.

However, the term elite is objective. In the current game there are only 7 players who I would term elite-the big 3 from Melbourne, Thurston, Inglis, SBW and Hayne with DCE very close.

spiderdan

Bench
i don't think you can put a number on how many players are elite. to me an elite player is someone who can perform at a significantly higher level to the bulk of other participants.

it's also relative. you could argue that almost the entire nrl is elite as it only represents a small portion of players that can play significantly better than the bulk of league players in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.