What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Heart taken over by Man City

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
People can talk about the billions Heart's owners have but that can only have a certain amount of influence in a salary capped league. City would not have gotten to the top of the Premier League in a salary capped league. This does not mean 'Melbourne City' will be a superpower next season.

Always have been and always will be in Victory's shadow. Real clubs with real fans will always dominate plastic clubs in a league with a cap.

So clubs with big backers like Abramovich and Mansour aren't real clubs with real fans? Tell that to the approx 30k fans who rocked up to Maine Road every week when City were playing in the English 3rd division.

I guess only clubs like United who broke the record English transfer today are real huh? Or Arsenal who have a shitload of "plastic" fans around the world who jumped on the bandwagon in the early to mid 2000's.

On ya bike...

***MH***

Bench
Both Melbourne clubs should target local junior AFL talent. They have excellent fitness and kicking power. Teach them a bit of finesse and how to dive properly and you'll have future international super stars.

Big Sam

First Grade
Nothing definitive, just speculation.

A $12m valuation sounds pretty definitive to me. Couple that with the $15m WSW is expected to sell for next month and you've got the 2 most recent expansion clubs valued at almost $30m.

Not bad for a sport supposedly dying on its arse.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
capped league + putting the city brand on them and throwing them at a bunch of asian teams seems a pretty promising way to get some coin.

especially if they aren't in a particularly poor financial spot to begin with

Well with PSG around Platini has ignored pretty much everyone.

Wrong. Incredibly wrong, but that's a discussion for another topic I guess.

People can talk about the billions Heart's owners have but that can only have a certain amount of influence in a salary capped league. City would not have gotten to the top of the Premier League in a salary capped league. This does not mean 'Melbourne City' will be a superpower next season.

Always have been and always will be in Victory's shadow. Real clubs with real fans will always dominate plastic clubs in a league with a cap.

You've missed the mark as usual.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Both Melbourne clubs should target local junior AFL talent. They have excellent fitness and kicking power. Teach them a bit of finesse and how to dive properly and you'll have future international super stars.
Good idea, they are useless with thier hands.

Will have to teach them no points for missing

NrlCoach

Juniors
Melbourne storms are the big winners. they will share with the harts medical staff and whateverfacilities city build.

Big Sam

First Grade
BepRqWoCIAA3ZCJ.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Foxsports are reporting this morning that Citihad tried to buy Sydney FC last year and they told them to f**k off

saint pebba

First Grade
The biggest advantages that the Heart(or City) will have are as follows:
- World Class facilities for the players
- The ability for the players to spend 2-3 months per year in England learning from the city players/coaching staff
- Coaching staff with access to the best technology/coaching tools available.

All of this can be done outside of the salary cap.

If anyone believes that a Socceroo who plays in the a-league wont be enticed to the Heart by these they are kidding themselves.

Add in the fact they are allowed two marquee players outside of the salary cap(1 foreign and 1 Australian) then I think the Heart are in a good position to become the benchmark for football in Australian within the next 3-5 years.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Get this. City have also bought a new franchise in America's MLS. Starting in 2015, a new New York team (excuse the pun) called New York City will be entering the competition.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Define regularly, because I wouldn't have said once in 4 months is regularly but to each their own I guess.

Their season average from 2006-2007 to 2009-10 was in excess of 25,000 - so that would be 'regular'.

Foxsports are reporting this morning that Citihad tried to buy Sydney FC last year and they told them to f**k off

Odd move by Sydney FC. You'd think they'd appreciate an excuse to feel relevant again.

Absolutely disgusting cartoon put out by the Herald Sun on this topic.

1504534_612909635423964_1044160927_n.jpg

That is pretty bloody offensive. I'm all for freedom of speech and not being too PC, but in what way is that an acceptable representation?

Get this. City have also bought a new franchise in America's MLS. Starting in 2015, a new New York team (excuse the pun) called New York City will be entering the competition.

What are we 'getting'?