What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW, Benji, Falou and Sam Burgess

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Anyone who thinks that given half a chance RU wouldn't completely destroy RL is kidding themselves. Signing Burgess would be a huge blow to RL in England, which is hanging by a thread financially, as yet again the message it sends is that RL is completely tiny compared to RU - it must be given that one of the biggest names in British RL, playing in supposedly the best RL competition in the world would jump to RU at the mere sniff of an opportunity to play for England. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the move for Burgess is because the RU surprisingly failed to get Sam Tomkins.

The only reason its not happening with Australian players in numbers is because the ARU is skint - if they had the money you can bet they'd be regularly poaching the NRL again. Comparisons to the old days when RL signed RU players are ridiculous, given that RL was offering supposedly amateur sportsmen the chance to make money from playing.

I'd also add that some ex-RL players are frankly a disgrace. Farrell earned a lot playing in SL, and was a very good player. There was even a grudging acceptance of him moving to RU when he was 30+ given what he'd given the game in England. Since then however, he's done nothing except hurt the game that made him a name worth poaching by RU. He's been directly responsible for several players jumping ship from his own club Wigan (Tomkins, Ashton), and no doubt indirectly involved in trying to tempt others in his role with England RU. Mike Ford is the Bath coach, and he had a long career in RL as well.

Again these guys will justify it as all being part of pro sport, but what they're basically saying is sod all the people involved in the game I used to play - fans, other players etc - its all about me and what I can get out of it.

Chin up mate. Cant stop them from doing it. Its not Farrells or Buregss's fault that the game either doesn't have the support or, more likely, the administration it needs in England. The SL is so gaudy and poorly marketed. They've let it be pigeon holed.

Best hope is to have kids come out here at 18 for a few years to learn how to be a better player. Thats simply down to facilities, money & the weather. They they go back at 21 or whatever.

I watch SL and honestly, some of those stadiums would be condemned if they were in Australia. Its a bad look for the game and the game itself has always been marginalised.

Is the support really there for it in the UK? Union is a natural competitor. Its far more popular than League in the UK. More $$$ and exposure for players.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Is life all about money?

If I had a son in this position I would urge him to consider that there is much more to life than going to where the bucks are biggest.

To be fair, its their job. Of course, I'd like to see more integrity and loyalty to the game, but for the players, its their vocation.

If you're working for Coke and Pepsi offered you more $$$, would you take it? Would anyone outside of those companies care, or even know?

Thats how dispassionate professionals are about a given game IMO. Being a pro RL player would be one of the most painful, hard and demanding jobs in the world. That in itself would be a reward for us rusted-ons, but honestly, a few players here and there won't sink the ship.

It won't change the landscape of RL here or Union there.

RL on the back of the NRL, has its eyes on much bigger things & its well positioned to capitalise and grow in to new markets in the next 10 years. The game will dwarf RU financially at the end of that period.

Loudstrat

Coach
I still cant get over the fact that they want Burgess as a centre. FFS the NRL has the likes of Inglis, Matai, Lyon, Hodges, Jennings, Hayne et all wearing club and rep Centre jerseys. How shit must a sport be if their World Cup centres included people like Burgess, Fui, Adam Blair, Matt Scott or George Rose?

The only way Union can sign big name League players is by guaranteeing them a test jumper in the world cup. Thats all they have. Remember when the Wallabies signed Sailor, Rogers and Tequiri - leaving ONE spot for every centre or winger playing Union in Australia? If thats good junior development............

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I still cant get over the fact that they want Burgess as a centre. FFS the NRL has the likes of Inglis, Matai, Lyon, Hodges, Jennings, Hayne et all wearing club and rep Centre jerseys. How shit must a sport be if their World Cup centres included people like Burgess, Fui, Adam Blair, Matt Scott or George Rose?

The only way Union can sign big name League players is by guaranteeing them a test jumper in the world cup. Thats all they have. Remember when the Wallabies signed Sailor, Rogers and Tequiri - leaving ONE spot for every centre or winger playing Union in Australia? If thats good junior development............

Well said. he's an NRL Prop FFS!

More a problem for Union than us.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Andy Farrell is a skunk.

Andy Farrell is an overated league player who could kick goals. in fairness to him, if we're talking about it from an employment perspective, he's now employed by another organisation to do x.y.z which he may well be doing. thats his job. if he can help recruit people to his organisation good luck to him

Sonny Bill Williams.

is not better than inglis or thurston. he's not a shit player but he's not better than those two

Loudstrat

Coach
Well said. he's an NRL Prop FFS!

More a problem for Union than us.

Rugby Union World Cup Semi Finals 2015. Opposing three-quarter lines. Best Case Scenario.

ENGLAND
Wing: Gareth Ellis
Centre: James Graham
Centre: Sam Burgess
Wing: Chris Heighington

ALL BLACKS
Wing: Russell Packer
Centre: FuiFui Moi Moi
Centre: Jared Warea-Hargreaves
Wing: Adam Blair

WALLABIES
Wing: George Rose
Centre: Sam Kasiano
Centre: Brent Kite
Wing: Bryce Gibbs

SCOTLAND
Wing: Sam McEndry
Centre: Matt Scott
Centre: Chris McQueen
Wing: Tim Grant

FFS! :lol::lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
Tonebrain, Union signed him from League..........

Maybe next time you post, you should use BOTH brain cells.

Loudstrat

Coach
Exactly. Souths and Rusty went way beyond the call of duty for this merkin. If News Ltd is right (which is dubious at best) Sparkle Arse skipped some training sessions for some promos during finals time - unforgiveble. Souths had an epic win over melbourne, but were limp against manly in the final. Hindsight suggests that problems within the camp could have contributed.

If its true, he's a f*cking mental liability and better off f*cking up Yawnion.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
Salford :lol::lol:

Why would he go there? If he wants to stay in this code he could just refuse to do what Maguire asks and be a dickhead in general and they'll have no choice but to bin him then he can just move to another NRL club, he won't play for Salford.

TheDalek079

Bench
Rugby Union World Cup Semi Finals 2015. Opposing three-quarter lines. Best Case Scenario.

ENGLAND
Wing: Gareth Ellis
Centre: James Graham
Centre: Sam Burgess
Wing: Chris Heighington

ALL BLACKS
Wing: Russell Packer
Centre: FuiFui Moi Moi
Centre: Jared Warea-Hargreaves
Wing: Adam Blair

WALLABIES
Wing: George Rose