What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summer league, hybrid game on agenda for NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
where did the Japanese world SL nines draw its players from?

JAPAN
Coach - Max Mannix
1. Masami Hukata 2. Yoshihiro Noda 3. Jun Kanezawa 4. Kenichiaou Yukamizo 5. Tokeshi Muda 6. Kiyoto Kodayashi 7. Greg Mannix (c) 8. Toru Suzuki 9. Yuji Suzuki 10. Yoshikazu Kanemaru 11. Kazumi Iida 12. Nautake Haga 13. Kenji Morita 14. Souji Mitobe

DC_fan

Coach
Fox Sports needs something to replace the Big Bash. Has not been a good summer for Fox Sports and viewing numbers.

tumbidragon

First Grade
7000. Nice. Not bad stimulus to Auckland's economy :) Lets say conservatively that those 7,000 Aussies spend $500~ (I know myself and a mate have paid $600 for 4 nights accommodation, plus bringing about $7-800 each play money) over a 2-5 day period, that's a cool 3.5 mil alone! Not a bad weekend.

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
Quite some time ago I suggested 'Arena Rugby League' - Arena Football (american and soccer) are played over seas and I think a cut down version of RL would work great.

Being indoors, it would provide good viewing, air conditioning and a game that could still retain all the key facets of RL (ie. play the ball/off side rule etc) but adapt significantly for a different audience.

Being so different you could also recruit RL athletes from around the world and play up the gimmicky elements. Being a smaller field you could field 5 - 7 players with a full side of 10.

I would detach the identities from NRL sides and play under joint banners as needed - eg. West Sydney Razor backs (under Dogs/Tigers etc)

The Great Dane

First Grade
I would detach the identities from NRL sides and play under joint banners as needed - eg. West Sydney Razor backs (under Dogs/Tigers etc)

Yeah that's similar to the way I'd do it to except that I'd look for it to have a larger geographical spread then the NRL, so instead of having multiple teams in Sydney I'd just have two and set a target of having teams in Perth, Adelaide, Wellington and a second in Brisbane instead of so many in Sydney.

ProxyIronMan

Juniors
The English AP Premiership run a summer club sevens competition.

It is run on a Wednesday night with only three teams playing at each location. So 6 games per night per location with multiple locations each week. They then have playoffs and finals etc.

It's mostly fringe or junior players but no household names as such and is shown on FTA.

7's is a hard sell in the UK it's just not that interesting. The main issue being when you go to a game your are usually supporting a particular team. With 7's most of the games do not mean anything to you. That's why it's run on a Wednesday evening rather than over three days as this allows you to drop into your local club for 2-3 hours and have a couple of beers at the same time.

I suspect that's what will happen to RL 9's as most people will not give a shit about a three day event.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
The best of these ideas was how the old 7s were run - The preiership sides mixing it with international sides to create a carnival atmosphere. If we could expand on that - yes, it would be nines now - and maybe include a few cities on a few weekend, there's your idea crystallised.

The only way any hybrid League/Union code could be played is by using League rules and fat people who cant run.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/st...-of-crickets-ipl/story-fndv325j-1226827660730

Storm star Ryan Hoffman wants the NRL to create a league version of cricket’s IPL

Nick Smart
Herald Sun
February 14, 2014 10:00PM

MELBOURNE Storm star Ryan Hoffman wants the NRL to follow in the footsteps of cricket and create rugby league’s version of the Indian Premier League.

Hoffman will captain Melbourne in this weekend’s inaugural NRL Auckland Nines, which has already proven a hit with both days at Eden Park sold out well in advance.

It is the first time NRL has experimented with the exciting nine-a-side format.

The Storm backrower is a fan of the Nines concept and would like to see it go further with every NRL player placed into an auction like in the hugely popular IPL.

Under his plan, teams would be sold off and made up of players from every NRL club to compete in a three-week tournament.

Although he conceded it would require a shorter NRL premiership season.

“I’d like to see the concept get bigger,” he said.

“Maybe in the future it could end up like the IPL where some wealthy business owners want to own a team and we put all the NRL players into an auction.

“You could to that and run the Nines for three weeks, which would be an exciting concept.

“But obviously you would need some give in the NRL season.”

The huge success of the Big Bash League has resulted in other sports looking to implement similar competitions to entice fans and sponsors.

Hoffman said the possibilities were endless and believed there was a huge potential to grow the game in non-traditional markets.

“I’d like to see maybe having two tiers with developing nations be a part of it,” he said.

“There could be an NRL tier and a developing nations tier.

“I want to see it go forward, but for that to happen there needs to be some leeway in the NRL season itself.”

If Hoffman’s plan is to be considered, a lot will depend on the success of the next two days — which will be broadcast live on Fox Sports.

All NRL teams remain unsure of the best tactics to implement in Auckland.

“When people thing of Nines, they usually think of it being free flowing with lots of outside backs,” Hoffman said.

“But I still think you’re going to have to do the basic rugby league things.

“You still need to get momentum and that go forward.

“I don’t think we’ll go too far away, but we’ll need to have a bit more ball movement and use that space.”

A Storm side missing the “big three” of skipper Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk will tackle Penrith and South Sydney today before clashing with the Dragons tomorrow.

“We’ve come up with some theories and some game plans on how we’re going to do stuff,” he said.

“We’re a bit lucky being one of the later games on the first days because we will get a chance to see how other teams are going about it.

“We may adjust but we have some plans in place.”

bottle

Coach
Ryano seeing the $$$ the IPL boys are getting.
The clubs would oppose it vigorously I would expect.

Latest posts