What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW, Benji, Falou and Sam Burgess

ek999

First Grade
Garrick Morgan in the NRL I think. Gareth Thomas converted from union to league over in the UK a couple of years ago

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
The Burgii are being paid less than they're worth by Souths? Give it up. Sam may be a little bit, but Luke (especially) and Tom wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Sam. Do you think they haven't negotiated with Souths as part of a packagae deal to make sure they all get a decent wage? If they haven't they're crazy. If George hasn't negotiated a top dollar contract based on last year's form then he's nuts. Not to mention the money they can all make outside the game due to the family at Souths image.

If you want proof of how Souths have done their best to accommodate all the brothers, look at the forwards they've released this year. They've done that on the assumption they'd have all four Burgess brothers in and around the 17.

If the stumbling block is leaving this season, then if I were Souths I'd simply refuse a release. There's no way they can replace Sam Burgess for this year. Even at the end of this season I'd be asking way more than a million. Why? Because Sam wants to leave with his image intact in case it all goes wrong in RU. Then he can say that he goes with genuine best wishes, Souths have a return clause etc. IMO he/RU have to pay for that.

As an aside IF he leaves I for one won't be "wishing him well" etc etc - I'm an RL fan, not a Sam Burgess fan, not an RU fan. I love watching him play, and like it or not the Burgess story has been a good news item for RL. Him leaving will hurt RL in general and the UK in particular, where he'll be shoved down everybody's throats as someone now playing the "right" game, achieving status he couldn't dream of in RL etc.

hutch

First Grade
When's the last time League signed a top Union player?

And none of this 'he played Union in high school' shit.

Wigan signed Wales rugby union player andy powell last year until 2015. Hasn't made that much of an impact yet but has a fair bit of size about him.

Springs

First Grade
Sam and George are both well below their market value at Souths. George especially could easily get better money elsewhere.

maccattack

Juniors
The damage to RL in the UK would far exceed $1 million dollars. Who's negotiating this release? Dr Evil??

aqua_duck

Coach
I still cant get over the fact that they want Burgess as a centre. FFS the NRL has the likes of Inglis, Matai, Lyon, Hodges, Jennings, Hayne et all wearing club and rep Centre jerseys. How shit must a sport be if their World Cup centres included people like Burgess, Fui, Adam Blair, Matt Scott or George Rose?

The only way Union can sign big name League players is by guaranteeing them a test jumper in the world cup. Thats all they have. Remember when the Wallabies signed Sailor, Rogers and Tequiri - leaving ONE spot for every centre or winger playing Union in Australia? If thats good junior development............

Honestly where did you pull names like George Rose, Matt Scott and Adam Blair from? To suggest Burgess is in anyway similar to those guys athletically and in terms of skill set is laughable. Sam is more than comfortable playing as an edge backrower in fact he's one of the best in the world in that role, inside centre positonally isn't that dissimilar. Guys like Jennings, Hodges, Hayne etc wouldn't be inside centres in union, their agility, speed and athleticism would be wasted because they wouldn't have the space without a 10m and being closer to the ruck, those guts would be outside centres, a lot of times you need a bigger body like Burgess or SBW to get over the advantage line

ek999

First Grade
Lol @ comparing an inside centre in Union to a centre in League. They play completely differently.

Canard

Immortal
Lol @ comparing an inside centre in Union to a centre in League. They play completely differently.

Yes one touches the ball more than 2 times a game and makes more than 20 tackles a season, the other doesn't

Loudstrat

Coach
Funny how no one mentions the Burgess brothers have taken below their market value to stay at Souths.
maybe thats because it's odds on that they will fill to England bckline in the Yawnion world cup.

Honestly where did you pull names like George Rose, Matt Scott and Adam Blair from?
Maybe because Yawnion are going to pay big cash to plonk a League prop in the centres for a world cup! Thats like picking f*cking Matt Dunning and giving him Inglis test jumper.

An inside centre in union has more touches than a league centre as they play a lot tighter in
Only if they are the goal kicker :lol:

And when was the last time League signed a top flight Union player? Is there such a thing as a top flight union player?

Last edited:

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Nobody has any evidence that Sam and George are on "way less" than they could earn elsewhere, and in any event, the amount they can make as a group outside the game is far higher if they're all at the one club, where they can use the whole "family" image - that would be drastically watered down if they were to play against each other.

Without Sam, Luke and Tom wouldn't even be here, so if Sam's paid a bit less to enable Souths to pay his less talented brothers a decent wage, so what? Wouldn't most people in Sam's position do the same? Its not like he's on $50k instead of $500k.

Thomas

First Grade
I don't know where Burgess would fit in. As centre? They already have a 110kgs centre (Manu Tuilagi). He'd make an awesome backrower. Has size and would be good in close.

England are clueless.

Canard

Immortal
Nobody has any evidence that Sam and George are on "way less" than they could earn elsewhere, and in any event, the amount they can make as a group outside the game is far higher if they're all at the one club, where they can use the whole "family" image - that would be drastically watered down if they were to play against each other.

Without Sam, Luke and Tom wouldn't even be here, so if Sam's paid a bit less to enable Souths to pay his less talented brothers a decent wage, so what? Wouldn't most people in Sam's position do the same? Its not like he's on $50k instead of $500k.

Not to mention George has only played 8 good games of NRL at this point.

Are we such an instant gratification culture that we expect players to be on $900K+ contracts based on two good Friday Night Football matches?