What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Canard

Immortal
I'm being nit picky here, but the fact you said "and always will be" suggests that these Stadiums originally had the names you provided, which in many cases were wrong!

BRI - Lang Park (not really, that was demolished)
BUL - Olympic Stadium (Stadium Australia)
CAN - Canberra Stadium
CRO - Endeavour Field (Shark Park more appropriate)
GC - Robina (no)
MAN - Brookvale
MEL - Swan St (Melbourne Rectangular Stadium was the working name)
NEW - Newcastle Stadium (no. What's wrong with Hunter Stadium?)
NQ - The Willows
NZW - Mt Smart
PAR - Parramatta Stadium
PEN - Penrith Park
SGI - Kogarah Jubilee Oval & Wollongong Stadium (no to Wollongong. It was Steelers Stadium before WIN)
SS - Olympic Stadium (Stadium Australia)
SYD - SFS
WT - Leichhardt & Campbelltown

It's funny, I think it's less to do with a sponsor but more to do with the first name you ever hear for a stadium.

To me, I loved the name Marathon Stadium! Prefer it over a generic name. Also liked Ericson Stadium better than Mount Smart. Whilst I didn't love Dairy Farmers, it's just what it was. Anything else doesn't feel right.

With the new stadiums...AAMI and Skilled Parks, again they are what they are. Using a non sponsored name would be ludicrous as they don't really have one

Dairy Farmers was originally known as Stockland stadium.

Which is a big corporate, but fitted the Cowboys name perfectly.

big hit!

Bench
Dairy Farmers was originally known as Stockland stadium.

Which is a big corporate, but fitted the Cowboys name perfectly.

you're not doing much to dissuade me from using localities or other significant recognisable name instead of BS corporate naming rights to name venues. The NQ ground has had about 4 names in just under 20 years.

The Willows it will remain.

ek999

First Grade
I'm being nit picky here, but the fact you said "and always will be" suggests that these Stadiums originally had the names you provided, which in many cases were wrong!

BRI - Lang Park (not really, that was demolished)
BUL - Olympic Stadium (Stadium Australia)
CAN - Canberra Stadium
CRO - Endeavour Field (Shark Park more appropriate)
GC - Robina (no)
MAN - Brookvale
MEL - Swan St (Melbourne Rectangular Stadium was the working name)
NEW - Newcastle Stadium (no. What's wrong with Hunter Stadium?)
NQ - The Willows
NZW - Mt Smart
PAR - Parramatta Stadium
PEN - Penrith Park
SGI - Kogarah Jubilee Oval & Wollongong Stadium (no to Wollongong. It was Steelers Stadium before WIN)
SS - Olympic Stadium (Stadium Australia)
SYD - SFS
WT - Leichhardt & Campbelltown

It's funny, I think it's less to do with a sponsor but more to do with the first name you ever hear for a stadium.

To me, I loved the name Marathon Stadium! Prefer it over a generic name. Also liked Ericson Stadium better than Mount Smart. Whilst I didn't love Dairy Farmers, it's just what it was. Anything else doesn't feel right.

With the new stadiums...AAMI and Skilled Parks, again they are what they are. Using a non sponsored name would be ludicrous as they don't really have one

Canberra Stadium was originally Bruce Stadium

GAZF

First Grade
you're not doing much to dissuade me from using localities or other significant recognisable name instead of BS corporate naming rights to name venues. The NQ ground has had about 4 names in just under 20 years.

The Willows it will remain.

It will always be Malanda Stadium to me, 1300 Smiles Stadium comes a very close second.

bobmar28

Bench
$250 millon to "fix" ANZ stadium. Why not just build a proper rectangular stadium somewhere in the western suburbs.

$250 millon to "fix" ANZ stadium. Why not just build a proper rectangular stadium somewhere in the western suburbs.

Because of all the infrastructure and investment in the Homebush Bay precinct. I agree with your sentiment but Homebush will always be the main home of western sydney sport.

As Southern Rooster points out, the NSW Government will not spend money on further infrastrucure links (e.g. roads, railway lines/stations) to service a new stadium. They also will not want the ongoing running costs either of a new stadium.

Additionally, $250 million would likely not build you a 80,000 seat stadium in this day and age.

As Southern Rooster points out, the NSW Government will not spend money on further infrastrucure links (e.g. roads, railway lines/stations) to service a new stadium. They also will not want the ongoing running costs either of a new stadium.

Additionally, $250 million would likely not build you a 80,000 seat stadium in this day and age.[/QUOTE]

Particularly one with a roof.

bottle

Coach
Because of all the infrastructure and investment in the Homebush Bay precinct. I agree with your sentiment but Homebush will always be the main home of western sydney sport.

Which is why that is where the proper rectangular stadium should have been built in the first place. Short sighted imbecilic bastards in charge is the problem.

Which is why that is where the proper rectangular stadium should have been built in the first place. Short sighted imbecilic bastards in charge is the problem.

Are you suggesting that the current stadium should have been rectangular? (Olympic running track with corners would have been interesting), or adding yet another stadium to the same precinct area? (there are already 2 there now)

It could never have been a rectangular stadium to start with. The athletics track for a start.

Plus with AFL and cricket played there it opens the stadium up to greater use for them. They want to use the Homebush bay precinct as often as possible. If they can use it for AFL and in particular summer for cricket it is better for them and that is not short sogtedness that is actually common sense.

When it becomes a complete adjustable stadium able to be bought forward for rectangular sports it will be much better.

bottle

Coach
Not the Olympic Stadium obviously for the reasons stated.

No, a separate, dedicated, state of the art rectangular stadium should have at least have been a part of the plan for the site to begin with when it was still a Greenfield space.

Look at the money that's been wasted on Skoda stadium when they could quite easily have been playing fumbly at the Olympic stadium. Those funds and/or that space should have been dedicated to the rectangular stadium that a city the size of Sydney deserves. We are ostensibly a rectangular ground game city after all.

The alterations to the Olympic stadium won't cut it, it is a second rate solution that will still result in a sub optimal viewing outcome. A disgrace really.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ive said it a bunch of times before but hell, ill say it again. This...

xtrc.png

2v1p.png

...is the only way to make ANZ a good stadium.

Yes, it is facing East-West, but with the roof that wouldnt be a problem. Plus there are a heap of other stadiums in Sydney and around Australia; it couldnt be that hard to always schedule 1 stadium at night.

It also wouldnt be that much more expensive to build. The greatest cost of any stadium is the roof; this roof is already built and the stands are not load baring.

Just look at this stadium...

Akron-University-Project.jpg

...Its called Summa Field; it was built in 2009 holds 30,000 people and it only cost $60 million.

All ANZ would have to do is build something similar at the North and South ends.

Ive said it a bunch of times before but hell, ill say it again. This...

xtrc.png

2v1p.png

...is the only way to make ANZ a good stadium.

Yes, it is facing East-West, but with the roof that wouldnt be a problem. Plus there are a heap of other stadiums in Sydney and around Australia; it couldnt be that hard to always schedule 1 stadium at night.

It also wouldnt be that much more expensive to build. The greatest cost of any stadium is the roof; this roof is already built and the stands are not load baring.

Just look at this stadium...

Akron-University-Project.jpg

...Its called Summa Field; it was built in 2009 holds 30,000 people and it only cost $60 million.

All ANZ would have to do is build something similar at the North and South ends.

Yeah it probably cost $60 million at the time because it was done that way as it's initial construction?

If so, then it is not a valid comparison. Renovating an existing structure usually winds up being more expensive than a new build due to the modifications and/or demolition work you have to do on existing structures.

Also you just showed a problem, it is a 30,000 seat stadium. ANZ is not a 30,000 seat stadium. It is an 83,000 seat stadium.

Additionally, the NSW Government aren't going to make it a permanent recangual stadium despite what we may want. They want their stadiums used by as many organisations as possible as they do not want to have to worry about ongoing maintenance costs for a plethora of stadiums.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeah it probably cost $60 million at the time because it was done that way as it's initial construction?

If so, then it is not a valid comparison. Renovating an existing structure usually winds up being more expensive than a new build due to the modifications and/or demolition work you have to do on existing structures.

Granted it is not as simple as building from scratch and will therefore be more expencive, but considering the current design, the reconfiguration i propose would likely be no more expencive than the current proposal and it wouldnt even require a massive change to the plans.

The roof bares most of its own wieght, so the stands only need to hold themselves up, not the roof aswell. That is what would make building this so cheap.

That is the point i was trying to make with the college stadium; it does not support a roof so they can build really cheaply.

Also you just showed a problem, it is a 30,000 seat stadium. ANZ is not a 30,000 seat stadium. It is an 83,000 seat stadium.

The college stadium example was referring specifically to the North and SOuth ends. The rest of the stadium would stay effectively unchanged, just the north and south ends need be redesigned.

The extra 30,000 or so these grandstands would add is to replace the two ends of the bowl after they are demolished

Consider at the current plan; they want to demolish these north and south ends and replace them with movable stands (like the east and west sides of the lower bowl).

The only change i would like to see in these plans is, instead of movable stands being added after the ends are demolished, permanent ends be built 90m apart (similar to the wings that used to be part of the stadium in 2000, just moved forward).

This means the field would run East to west and all of the other stadium infrustructure (both the upper and lower sections of the East and west stands) would not only still be adequate, but actually have a far better view than they have now.

Additionally, the NSW Government aren't going to make it a permanent recangual stadium despite what we may want. They want their stadiums used by as many organisations as possible as they do not want to have to worry about ongoing maintenance costs for a plethora of stadiums.

This just comes down to lobbying and justification...

In its oval shape, the stadium is only used by AFL 2 or 3 times a year and by cricket a handful more (all of which could be moved to Skoda or the SCG).

Obviously this would lose ANZ Trust money, so you would have to justify it in those terms (gain compared to lose); Souths, Bulldogs, Eels, Tigers and the Dragons could all agree to play X games there and Wanderers games would be moved there.
In monitory terms it would be easy for ANZ to come out ahead if this deal went through.

And dont say teams wont want to move to ANZ. If it meant the opportunity to play in a stadium comparable to this...

new-meadowlands-metlife-stadium.jpg

... instead of a suburban ground, I'm sure fans would be ok with driving the extra 15 minutes.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You'd seriously devalue the corporate dollars too with the configuration.

Not really...

Only the end windows would have obstructed views, the facilities would still be good.

And if you needed to replace these, new boxes could easily be added to the new north and south stands.

Latest posts