What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside Of Brad Fittler...

bellyache

Bench
Johns is my best ever.

And if SBW stays injury free this season he could leapfrog him for mine.
IMO, Fittler had the better of Johns on most occassions. For power and talent you can go past SBW, he's the complete player.
If I had to pick a player to win me a game single handed it SBW all the way baby.. ;-)

Johnny Tobin

Juniors
IMO, Fittler had the better of Johns on most occassions. For power and talent you can go past SBW, he's the complete player.
If I had to pick a player to win me a game single handed it SBW all the way baby.. ;-)

As far as I am concerned, Johns could do everything Freddy could do PLUS kick a goal from the sideline to win you the game.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I kinda agree.

Fittler was the best ball runner I've ever seen by a mile. He was absolutely deadly close to the line, and could also bust a 50m break from anywhere on the field with his combination of size, strength and THAT sidestep.

But Joey was also devastating at taking on the line ... more so than any other halfback I've ever seen.

Both had sublime passing games, short and long. Joey's short passing game was perhaps more nuanced. The defence never knew what he was going to do.

Johns had a much better short kicking game. And both were excellent in that forgotten area of importance, defence. Freddy is probably the best defensive back I've ever seen. And Johns arguably the best defensive half.

If I could give them marks out of 10 as players I suppose I'd give Johns a 10/10 and Fittler a 9.5/10.

And SBW is probably a 9.5/10 as well. He's the perfect forward.

Last edited:

Mr Chook

Juniors
Was just a toddler when Beetson was playing for us so I can't really include him.

Hastings would be my next pick. That golden run he had from 1980 to '83 where we snapped up the halfback of the year and Rothmans medal awards over the likes of some damn fine half backs in Sterling, Mortimer, Raudonikaus was quite something. An absolute travesty he never got to wear the Green and Gold.

Outside of Freddy the best players for mine for Easts.

Horrie
Gary Freeman
SBW
Mini
Moz
Salvo
Dave Trewhella

rated all of em.

Luke Ricketson has got to be up there for his sheer clubmanship, and don't forget everything he is still doing for the Chooks as a board member. Despire that he's represented at all representative levels.

MolongRooster

Juniors
Horrie, Mini, Hugh MGahan, Salvo, Stumpy Stevens and Bunny Reilly are my all time faves outside of Freddy as best Roosters players that I have seen.

SBW has only been here one season, but what an absolute freak of a player.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Beetson, Beetson and then Beetson.

Was lucky enough to be at the 74 GF when he scored next to the posts at the M. A Noble stand right where I was sitting with my old man.

He was a true gentleman of Rugby League who gave more back to the game than he ever received in return.

Seriously, next in line for me is Horrie, then daylight.