What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who eventually replaces Haddin with the gloves?

This seasons form of Ryan Carters with the bat has me thinking about who's going to replace Brad Haddin in with the gloves.

I'm fairly certain Haddin said his plans were to play the world cup next year and then retire.

There's only another 7 tests between now and then.

Carters is not keeping for NSW but he is a keeper and has been in great form with the bat this season.

For him to be a chance he needs to find a permanent gig keeping next year which will probably mean leaving NSW ( I'm guessing for south Australia)

But there's heaps of other contenders,

Peter Nevill , also in pretty good form with the bat, averages 38 at FC level

Sam Whiteman , big wraps on this kid. Yet to score a FC hundred but plenty of runs. Averages 36.

Cam Bancroft, the second of WA's keepers. Averages 35 with the bat

Matt Wade, we all know about his ability with the gloves. Likely needs to show a lot of improvement to be a shot. Fairly decent bat though. Averages in the low 40's in FC cricket.

Tim Paine, pretty good chance he'd be the keeper today if he never got it injured. Good wicket keeper but his record with the bat at FC level is pretty underwhleming .only averages 30. He's better than that though IMO.

Chris Hartley, regarded highly for his keeping and a fairly solid bat ( ave 32) but he does turn 32 this year

Tim Ludeman , don't see him as a shot. No matter how good his keeping is he has only averages 23 with the bat at FC level. Ryan carters will replace him if he wants to move to south Aus

Am I missing someone ?

So who do you think will be the next keeper? Obviously all formats are open but I'm more thinking about test cricket.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Paine or Nevill for me. Dunk is another option but has a poor FC record.

Anyone but Wade though, he's awful.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think they will go for Paine, provided he can play consistently well till Hadds announces his retirement and be injury free. We will have also good look to see who can take over, not like it happening tomorrow

He has the added bonus of having experience playing for Australia at test level, O know Wade has as well, but lets not go there for a little while, lol

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Carters looks to be a standout as a batsman atm but he is opening for the Bluebaggers.

If he remains in this type of form he could be replacing Rogers eventually rather than Haddin.

In any case its a way off atm.

If Hads was injured now, I'd go with Neville.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe think outside the box.

Which players that aren't current keepers could take the role on.

Phil Hughes did some keeping when Wade had a bowl. Could a batsmen be trained to be a permanent gloveman, to justify picking them in the test side without omitting anyone?

(I used Hughes as an example only)

Jason Maher

Immortal
Hartley should have got a gig years ago. A proper gloveman. Given the ages of Haddin, Rogers, and Johnson on their return to the side, I don't see his age as an issue.

I'm surprised people are saying Paine TBH. He's a good keeper but his batting record is a massive draw back IMO.

I'd have to go with Nevill right now.

And if Carters gets a keeping gig at shield level next summer also consider him.

Hartley should have got a gig years ago. A proper gloveman. Given the ages of Haddin, Rogers, and Johnson on their return to the side, I don't see his age as an issue.

No doubt he's a quality gloveman.

But Gilchrist really changed everything imo. The expectations on a keepers batting are much higher now.

typicalfan

Coach
I think we should break the mould and choose a keeper as a keeper first, batsman second. Haddins work behind the stumps is invaluable.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Maybe think outside the box.

Which players that aren't current keepers could take the role on.

Phil Hughes did some keeping when Wade had a bowl. Could a batsmen be trained to be a permanent gloveman, to justify picking them in the test side without omitting anyone?

(I used Hughes as an example only)

Well Doolan is already there and can keep, his father was opening bat and keeper for Tassie in his day, so the pedigree is there.

I don't think they will go that way unless we get real desperate

I think we should break the mould and choose a keeper as a keeper first, batsman second. Haddins work behind the stumps is invaluable.

We certainly shouldnt select a sub standard keeper ( wade) because he's a pretty good bat.

But things being close to equal a better batsmen is more likely to win out.

steggz

Juniors
I'd put Nevill ahead of Carters based on glovework. It would be between Nevill and Paine for mine

Red Bear

Referee
Hartley can more than hold his own with the bat and is the best gloveman. Should've come in a few years ago instead of Wade. Probably too late now.

Wades performance showed that, whilst batting is very handy, unless they are Gilchrist like they really need to be able to carry themselves with the gloves as well.

Nevill though is a good keeper and a quality batsmen. Would choose him at present.

beads6

First Grade
Whiteman, Pierson, McDermott, Nevill would be the ones to watch. Hopefully the selectors realize Wade can't keep flies of shit. Paine will probably be the bloke they pick though.

HevyDevy

Coach
I'm surprised people are saying Paine TBH. He's a good keeper but his batting record is a massive draw back IMO.

I'd have to go with Nevill right now.

And if Carters gets a keeping gig at shield level next summer also consider him.

Agree completely mate. Nevill for now but Carters showing plenty of promise, Haven't seen him keep though

The Paine love baffles me. Decent keeper but was never anything special with the bat, and I don't think his keeping has been as good since he came back from injury.

Unfortunately, we all know who our muppet selectors have in line as the next keeper. Idiots.

Latest posts