What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and General Drivel XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingard

Coach
Never. Just defended him as one of our top 17 last year (and the year before). This year he is fighting for a spot in the 17, and next year he'll mostly play NSW Cup. Possibly elsewhere.

Edit: Here's my opinion of Paulo from 2012.

Joseph Paulo is an exceptionally talented footballer. Similar to Feleti Mateo, if he can learn to be more discriminating in his play he could be a very good player for us. I hope Arthur can do something with him, because he really is a talent.

T.S Quint

Coach
Joseph Paulo is a moderately talented attacker.
He is, however, an exceptionally bad defender.

Last edited:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Joseph Paulo is an exceptionally talented footballer. Similar to Feleti Mateo, if he can learn to be more discriminating in his play he could be a very good player for us. I hope Arthur can do something with him, because he really is a talent.

They're nothing alike

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Buhrer would be a solid pickup. Ive always thought he was a goer with a great attitude, Arthur must rate him. Better option than Smith and Harrison IMO.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Buhrer would be a solid pickup. Ive always thought he was a goer with a great attitude, Arthur must rate him. Better option than Smith and Harrison IMO.

Our recruitment for the past couple of years seems to have been trying to get some better attitudes into the club. Kearney seemed to chase talented players with notoriously poor attitudes, thinking he could get their best out of them, which obviously didn't happen.

Bellamy is now working on Ben Roberts and Arthur isn't even bothering with Chris Sandow. Let's stick with buying some mentally tough players from successful clubs like Manly (Hopoate, Lussick, Harrison, Buhrer) and Souths (Peats, Hunt).

Pazza

First Grade
the are the players we have off contract:

Evander Cummins, Toby Evans, John Folau, Liam Foran, David Gower, Daniel Harrison, Ben Jones, Luke Kelly, Taniela Lasalo, Lorenzo Ma'Afu, Manu Ma'u, Tim Mannah, Fuifui Moimoi, Joseph Paulo, Api Pewhairangi, Ken Sio, Ben Smith, Vai Toutai, Joseph Ualesi

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Buhrer is bog average, ask any Manly fan.

Handy as a utility squad player, but little more. Won't be solving any of our issues.

Pazza

First Grade
it depends, if Buhrer is one of only say a couple of signings i wouldn't be impressed.

but if we pick up a starting quality front rower and edge forward along with Buhrer then it would be a huge upgrade for our pack.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
the are the players we have off contract:

Evander Cummins, Toby Evans, John Folau, Liam Foran, David Gower, Daniel Harrison, Ben Jones, Luke Kelly, Taniela Lasalo, Lorenzo Ma'Afu, Manu Ma'u, Tim Mannah, Fuifui Moimoi, Joseph Paulo, Api Pewhairangi, Ken Sio, Ben Smith, Vai Toutai, Joseph Ualesi

At least half of them are on second tier contracts. Meaning they will have no effect on how much space is freed up under our salary cap.

The ones who are definitely in the top 25 are:

Harrison
Kelly
Mannah
Moimoi
Paulo
Sio
Smith

Plus possibly a couple of others. I'm sure we will let go of Harrison, Moimoi and Smith, plus probably Joe Paulo. The rest are all a possibility.

Then we will need to upgrade some of the youngsters we want to keep, who are currently on second tier contracts but will be upgraded into the top 25.

I'm sure we'll see a couple of new faces in the squad next year but there won't be a complete magical overhaul. We'll mostly be upgrading and otherwise swapping like for like. The biggest roster change will have happened over the off season just gone.

we should have enough money to recruit 3 or so good quality forwards.

We can't replace 19 players with only three.

Pazza

First Grade
Folau
Mannah
Sio
Ma'u
Moi Moi

They're my must keeps

I'd hold onto ualesi and lose Sio. A lot of money is invested in this backline, I think a younger player could do the job and spend is money upgrading the pack.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
it depends, if Buhrer is one of only say a couple of signings i wouldn't be impressed.

but if we pick up a starting quality front rower and edge forward along with Buhrer then it would be a huge upgrade for our pack.

Buhrer would be a good player for any squad that is adhering to a salary cap. At the right price.

The problem is we might have to pay the Parramatta tax unless we can significantly improve our results this year. But if we do that then we will most likely keep most of our squad apart from the retirees (Moimoi, Smith) and the obviously surplus to requirements (Harrison).

If we go shit again and sign a bunch of new first graders you can be assured we'll be paying overs for them. Hopefully we would be able to retain some of our quality youngsters fairly cheaply, which would give us the room to pay overs for established first graders.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Our recruitment for the past couple of years seems to have been trying to get some better attitudes into the club. Kearney seemed to chase talented players with notoriously poor attitudes, thinking he could get their best out of them, which obviously didn't happen.

Bellamy is now working on Ben Roberts and Arthur isn't even bothering with Chris Sandow. Let's stick with buying some mentally tough players from successful clubs like Manly (Hopoate, Lussick, Harrison, Buhrer) and Souths (Peats, Hunt).

I'd like to add Watmough to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts