What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town Mar 1-5, 2014

beads6

First Grade
The one fatal flaw test cricket has is the toss, it's to big an advantage, we could play ourselves and whomever won the toss would win the vast majority of games.

I see test cricket changing in the near future, one team will bat for 25 overs, then the other, it'll still be a 2 innings match as you'll follow on from where you left off, a bit like the new proposed ODI rules.

As it stands now if you have 2 evenly matched sides the winner of the toss wins the match, that's not test match cricket IMO, needs to be fair for both sides.

We could cut innings change overs to 5 minutes, we would make pitch doctoring almost obsolete.

giphy.gif

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Geez not much reverse swing there now is there ?

I think Warner does better when he gobs off and he didn't get dropped a hundred times.

Gutsy effort from Clarkie, he got bashed by Morkel but he showed a bit of back bone and determination which I think he has been lacking lately.

Saffas are a bit unlucky with Steyne's injury but this is where they are gonna miss the pie man big time, no Kallis to rescue their bowlers in the next 4 days.

And Smiffy just continues to shine.

I reckon this is our best bowling attack but thats assuming Patto is in form, he has the pace and mongel that Siddle lacks.

Good start but long way to go.

Canard

Immortal
The one fatal flaw test cricket has is the toss, it's to big an advantage, we could play ourselves and whomever won the toss would win the vast majority of games.

I see test cricket changing in the near future, one team will bat for 25 overs, then the other, it'll still be a 2 innings match as you'll follow on from where you left off, a bit like the new proposed ODI rules.

As it stands now if you have 2 evenly matched sides the winner of the toss wins the match, that's not test match cricket IMO, needs to be fair for both sides.

We could cut innings change overs to 5 minutes, we would make pitch doctoring almost obsolete.

You get a pass on that one, as clearly its a late night/early morning drunk post.

As for you point, according to Cricinfo the team batting 2nd has won 7 of the last 8 tests at Newlands and ALL of the last 5 between the Saffers and Us.

JJ

Immortal
Not sure why anyone would expect lots of reverse swing on day one of a test? There was nothing much of anything today, great day to bat... Morkel is a handful when in the mood though :lol:

Warner's comments had nothing to do with reverse swing, but probably had something to do with the way he played - lot to like about him, he just needs to keep a couple of his comments to himself... but nothing wrong with backing your ability...

Lot left in this test yet though

TheParraboy

Staff member
3/331 you take that against any test nation, let alone the no1 side in their own backyard.

Not much reverse swing today to rumble through our last 8 wickets. Thank you Davey, Devilliers being a good boy no doubt, after being exposed :). I see some excuses already filtering through for the Proteas, such as the toss and poor ole dale hobbling off (after a dry spell of bowling).

Key now is bat through the first session day 2 without too much drama till lunch. Get over 400, then try and head towards a 500 plus lead.

Im not so sure he can do it again, but if Watson can have that ODI-t20 mentality like he did against the poms when he hit his most recent test ton, it could be on for young and old. Id be a little disappointed if we don't get 500-550 from here

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not sure why anyone would expect lots of reverse swing on day one of a test? There was nothing much of anything today, great day to bat... Morkel is a handful when in the mood though :lol:

do you even know the definition of reverse swing?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
To the uneducated ones, and you know who you are, reverse swing can happen at any time with sufficient ball tampering but thanks to Davey its been knocked on the head.

Man facebook can be fun, lots of saffas to have a quiet chat to, my friends list has grown enormously in the last few days, some of them need a few English lessons tho

We got belted by the saffas at home last year with our injuries so its about time the table turned on the injury front.

DoggiesBroke

Juniors
A great relieving day for Aus. with the bat. We're getting substantial first innings runs at the most crucial time. Warner deserves plenty of praise for giving us a solid base and doing so at a fast run rate. Clarke has done well to adapt and survive. Also Smith is showing us that we have a lot to look forward to from him in the future. If Clarke and Smith can stick around for a while tomorrow then SA will almost certainly be out of the contest.

Keen to see how Pattinson will go. I enjoyed watching him rough up Graeme Smith a couple of years ago.

TheParraboy

Staff member
To the uneducated ones, and you know who you are, reverse swing can happen at any time with sufficient ball tampering but thanks to Davey its been knocked on the head.

Man facebook can be fun, lots of saffas to have a quiet chat to, my friends list has grown enormously in the last few days, some of them need a few English lessons tho

We got belted by the saffas at home last year with our injuries so its about time the table turned on the injury front.

but but dale is injured, no kallis, lost the toss :lol::lol::lol:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
but but dale is injured, no kallis, lost the toss :lol::lol::lol:
Dont forget Dale had Gastro two weeks ago and Donald did his hammy in 2nd test in 2002.

And it's Warner's fault for no reverse swing because he didn't hit one in the stands :sarcasm:

man2iel_

Juniors
Forgot to add Steve Smith's effort. Such a transformation in Smith the player who with every test innings looks the player his talent promised a few years back. Our future skipper is undaunted by any situation. Loved his knock. I see him getting another 100 here.

JJ

Immortal

Warner had nothing to do with it... FFS Ryan Harris said Warner was wrong... the team disciplined him too... if he's a team spokesman, they're certainly making things complex

The ball never got into the right condition... to label them as cheats on the basis of this is pretty imbecilic

Even Mark Waugh said while the ball reversed in the 2nd innings of the 2nd test, it wasn't extreme and bad/poor batting was a big part of it...

Wilson1

Juniors

That is just factually incorrect. When you use statistics you will see the toss barely has an affect at all on who wins a game.

redvscotty

First Grade
It was late on a Saturday night, give him a break. I notice his signature is bagging out league but I still like him more than JJ.

Nothing worse than a Kiwi with a chip on his shoulder.

Canard

Immortal
Forgot to add Steve Smith's effort. Such a transformation in Smith the player who with every test innings looks the player his talent promised a few years back. Our future skipper is undaunted by any situation. Loved his knock. I see him getting another 100 here.

Dead set the guy is becoming a champ.

AB Smith. He is our next captain at this rate.

man2iel_

Juniors
Dead set the guy is becoming a champ.

AB Smith. He is our next captain at this rate.

Agree. I don't know who has helped in his transformation though you sense that when he comes in to bat, "all will be ok". Smith seems to thrive on the challenge.