What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Georgia

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
This is good. Very good. I can only help but guess union had a hand in Gerogia's demise. Seeing home grown domestic clubs spring up with players that have already played and know union well means these guys are serious.

Welcome back Georgia.

Evil Homer

Staff member
This is good. Very good. I can only help but guess union had a hand in Gerogia's demise. Seeing home grown domestic clubs spring up with players that have already played and know union well means these guys are serious.

Welcome back Georgia.
IIRC the old Georgia RL was just the Union team playing under a different guise. From what I remember they were kicked out of the 2008 WC qualifying because they claimed that they had their visas refused for a match against Russia, only for it to later turn out that they were actually away representing the RU team at the time.

Good to see them back anyway. Georgia beating Netherlands in front of over 10,000 people in a WC qualifying match is still one of my international RL highlights. They were a pretty strong team too, probably because of the RU influence but if they're anything like as strong then they could definitely be contenders in Europe again.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
IIRC the old Georgia RL was just the Union team playing under a different guise. From what I remember they were kicked out of the 2008 WC qualifying because they claimed that they had their visas refused for a match against Russia, only for it to later turn out that they were actually away representing the RU team at the time.

That's what I can remember too, they gained RLEF or RLIF funding and after being banned for a couple of years by the RLIF they all went back to RU.

The Hooligans club in the youtube clip was one of the sides in the Georgian comp before the defection back to RU. I hope this is a serious attempt at making a comeback to League.

deluded pom?

Coach

Good to see them back anyway. Georgia beating Netherlands in front of over 10,000 people in a WC qualifying match is still one of my international RL highlights. They were a pretty strong team too, probably because of the RU influence but if they're anything like as strong then they could definitely be contenders in Europe again.

Was it only a 2008 WC qualifier? It seems a lot longer than that.

ed313909

Juniors
anyone know where i can get a jersey? National or local team? Whats happened to fortytwenty.co.uk

crimpo

Juniors
I happily defer to you on this Yanto (since you were involved after all) but I thought the Serbian match was on the 13th May 2006. (Academic really.) I suppose its arguable that their scratch against Russia was their last venture in RL but that might be stretching it a bit!