What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Manly, Gosford, Friday

Team:
1. Greg Inglis
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Beau Champion
4. Bryson Goodwin
5. Lote Tuqiri
6. Dylan Walker
7. Adam Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. Issac Luke
10. Sam Burgess
11. Chris McQueen
12. Ben Te'o
13. John Sutton

Interchange:
14. Ben Lowe
15. Joe Picker
16. David Tyrrell
17. Luke Burgess
18. Joel Reddy
19. Kyle Turner

Match Day Information: Round 2

Tue 11th March, 02:05PM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/03/11/match_day_information_round_2.html#

1394498715303.jpg

Sea Eagles vs Rabbitohs
Friday 14 March
7:40pm – NRL
Friday Night Football heads to the Central Coast on Friday the 14th of March, when the Rabbitohs go up against traditional rivals the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in what is sure to be a classic!
With players wanting to prove themselves early for Origin selection, match ups such as Te’o v Watmough and Reynolds v Cherry-Evans, it will make for a cracking Friday night of football.
Member Information
Don’t forget, all Rabbitohs Members receive 10% off tickets right up until game day. To access 10% off tickets, please click here and enter your Member No/ID where it asks Club Members to enter their password.
Please Note: This match is not included in the 2014 Rabbitohs membership package so Rabbitohs Members will be required to purchase tickets should they wish to attend.
Rabbitohs Reserved Supporter Bays are 24, 25, 26, 46 and 47.
Rabbitohs GA Supporter Bays are 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23.
How to purchase tickets
Online: Click here
Phone: 132 849
In Person: Click here
Merchandise
The South Sydney Rabbitohs Merchandise Van will be located just outside the Stadium near Gate 1 (main entry) on Dane Drive opposite the Leagues Club
Transport Information
TRAINS

Trains depart approximately every 15 minutes from Central on Friday evenings to Gosford. Return trains however are less frequent. If you’d like further information services and later trains and up to date schedules, contact the Transport Infoline on 131 500 or visit www.131500.com.au.
PARKING
Parking is available in the Baker St Car Park (approximately 100m away from the Stadium) and free parking is available 300m away at Gosford Train station

Last edited:
Rabbitohs Raw - Michael Maguire - Rd 2, 2014

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Chris Beavon
Wed 12th March, 11:01AM
A A

Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire fronted the rugby league media today (Wednesday) ahead of his teams round two clash with 2013 runners up, the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in Gosford on Friday.
The Rabbitohs mentor believes that playing both Grand Finalists from 2013 is a good indication of where his team is in the early stages of the new season.
"It's a good start," said Maguire.
"To know exactly where we are playing against obviously the two teams who were in the Final last year.
"We had a good performance in round one, but we understand that that's our first performance - we've got to roll it into round two."
Despite the solid victory, Maguire and his men aren't getting carried away, with Madge citing a maturity and level-headedness among the playing group that serves to keep the teams feet firmly on the ground.
"The group themselves do that pretty well," said Maguire.
"We've obviously been through a bit as a team and we've just got to make sure that the focus is on round two. The performance - as much as we were pleased with it - we've got to make sure that we keep doing it now."
To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.
For all match day information, please click here.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/03/12/rabbitohs_raw_michael_maguire_rd_2_2014.html

Maguire wary of wounded Sea Eagles

By Dan Walsh, Staff Writer
NRL.com
1:30pm Wed 12th March, 2014

Dylan Walker's baptism of fire continues against premiership heavyweights Manly this weekend. Copyright: NRL Photos/Renee McKay.

They’ve been handed the toughest start in the competition with back-to-back matches against last year’s grand finalists, but Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire says his side wouldn’t have it any other way.

Speaking ahead of Friday night’s mouth-watering clash with the Sea Eagles in Gosford, Maguire said his side has welcomed the chance to renew hostilities with two of the competition’s heavyweights so early in the season.

“It’s a good start to know exactly where you are playing against the two teams that were in the [grand] final last year,” said Maguire, now in his third season in charge of the famous red and green.

Watch the NRL LIVE with a 2-week free trial.
Get the NRL Digital Pass now!
“I was really pleased that we played a game for 80 minutes the other night which is something that we’ve spoken about and we want to make sure we can do that each week and that’s our challenge to roll it into Round 2.”

And following up their impressive first-round thumping of the Roosters with another strong showing against Manly would make an emphatic statement that Souths can aim up in the big matches after being bundled out of last year’s preliminary finals by the Sea Eagles, though Maguire was quick to point out that Geoff Toovey’s men would be keen to atone for their second-half capitulation against the Storm last weekend.

“It was very unlike a Manly team so I know they’re going to be out fired up this week and we have to make sure we’re well and truly on our game," he said.

“In that first half they were on fire and put a lot of great plays on and showed their capabilities and no doubt they’ll try and do that this week.

“They’ve been a quality team for a long time… It’s going to be a real quality game with good battles in the front row and no doubt out on the edges. With players like [Jamie] Lyon and [Steve] Matai they’ve got a lot of strike on the edges so that will add a lot of spice to the game.”

Maguire also confirmed five eighth Dylan Walker would be fit for his second first grade match in his new playmaking role after the Rabbitohs junior limped off late in the game against the Roosters.

While Greg Inglis came out firing with a hat-trick and Sam Burgess put months of speculation over his departure to rugby union behind him with a man of the match performance, the promise Walker showed in his first appearance in the halves was one of the key positives Souths took out of their Round 1 victory.

The former Australian schoolboy proved himself a handful in attack against the Roosters, busting the line four times and sending second-rower Chris McQueen on a long run down field with a clever short ball.

“Dylan’s been able to slot into that position and adds a lot to us,” said Maguire, who predicted the young half would have no issues should Manly target him as his baptism of fire against the competition’s best continues.

“He’s a tough kid, definitely... and you can see that in the way he plays. He runs hard and he’s a real competitor so the boys love playing with him.”

http://www.nrl.com/maguire-wary-of-wounded-sea-eagles/tabid/10874/newsid/76740/default.aspx

Rabbits Ready for Another Classic

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Photos: Renee McKay – Nrlphotos.com
Thu 13th March, 02:10PM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/content...03/13/rabbits_ready_for_another_classic.html#

1394500866630.jpg

Our Members got this story first. Want to be among the first to get more content like this? Stand Above the Rest and Become a 2014 Member Today, by clicking here.
If the three matches the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Manly-Warringah Sea-Eagles played against each other in 2013 is any indication of what’s to come, then Gosford will play host to an epic battle that is more often reserved for semi-final football this Friday night.
The two clubs went head to head in three titanic battles in 2013 – the first of which, at Brookvale Oval, was widely regarded as one of the most brutal battles of the NRL season.
The Rabbitohs came away with victory in the first two encounters, before going down to the side in last year’s preliminary final.
Prop forward, George Burgess, knows all about the rivalry – the English representative admitting that the encounters with the men from across the bridge tended to step up in intensity and bring out the best in both sides.
“You could definitely feel the difference from other games,” said Burgess of the three matches.
“They were very physical games and you’re always going to get that when you play against Manly because we’re both competitive sides. I’m sure it won’t be any different this Friday.
“I think a lot of that comes down to the history between the two teams. Every game we play we try and lift, but when you play against some of these traditional rivals, our Members get into it even more and that tends to rub off on us.
“It’s a great battle on the field and it’s a great game for the fans and as a player, that’s the kind of game you want to be a part of.”
The Sea Eagles come into the round two clash having squandered a 20 point lead to the Melbourne Storm at Brookvale Oval in round one – a result that will no doubt serve as motivation for the men from the peninsular. For Burgess though, the Sea Eagles will still be the dangerous proposition they came up against three times in 2013.
GS2pullquote.jpg

“They’re a quality side and they won’t be any different to what we faced last year – if anything, they will certainly have improved,” said Burgess.
“Manly have quality players all over the park – a big forward pack and some agile backs as well, then you have the likes of Daley Cherry-Evans in the halves who ask plenty of questions of oppositions. You’ve got to be careful and you’ve got to be on your game to stop them.”
Despite the familiarity of their opposition, Burgess added that no chances will be taken, with the Rabbitohs intent on doing their homework ahead of the big clash.
“We definitely know what we’re up against mentally, but we’ll obviously be doing a bit of homework before the game to make sure we’re as ready as we can be,” said the Englishman.
“This year is a totally different year and every team is going to be bringing something different and improving on themselves from the last season.
“We’ll just keep taking it a week at a time and we’ll be right."
For all match day information, please click here.
Capital Training Institute is the Rabbitohs Membership Partner. Visit the CTI website by clicking here.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/03/13/rabbits_ready_for_another_classic.html

More mature Issac Luke proves his value to South Sydney

South Sydney Rabbitohs League News
Date March 13, 2014 - 9:56PM
Issac Luke takes on the Roosters defence in last week's win over the

When Issac Luke was named the 2013 Rugby League International Federation hooker of the year, the selection of the New Zealand and South Sydney No.9 ahead of Cameron Smith barely raised a murmur among those at the awards dinner in Manchester on the eve of the World Cup final.
While the Darren Lockyer-like control that Smith asserted last Saturday night to engineer Melbourne's golden point win over Manly again showed why he is considered the greatest hooker of all time, Luke has consistently proven in the past 12 months that he is more than worthy of being mentioned in the same breath.

Despite Smith's field goal heroics in the Storm's 23-22 comeback win, Sports Data's Contributor Value Ratings system ranked Luke as the best performed hooker of last week's opening round of NRL matches based on a combination of dozens of statistics from his role in the Rabbitohs' 28-8 defeat of Sydney Roosters.
Luke was also the NRL's No.1 ranked hooker for the first time last season, according to the CVR rankings, and is far and away the most prolific dummy half runner in the game - making 2100 metres in 2013 compared to 1571m by Smith.
"He is one of the best dummy half runners that the game has ever seen," former Souths captain and teammate Michael Crocker said. "He is that strong and fast and good on his feet."
But there is now also a lot more to Luke's game than being able to get out of dummy half quickly and catch opposition defences on the back foot.
Once considered as an ill-disciplined "grub" because of his on-field antics, which included cannonball tackles on Sam Thaiday and David Shillington and a self-confessed attempt to break the leg of Rangi Chase during the 2011 Four Nations, Luke had no judiciary problems last season and has become a member of the leadership group for both Souths and the Kiwis.
In fact, so highly regarded is the 26-year-old by the Rabbitohs now that talks are already advanced about extending Luke's contract beyond 2015, which would enable him to become one of an increasingly rare group to play his entire career for one club.
"To be called a grub is really hard to take on but I am over it," Luke said. "I don't do that any more. I am more controlled now. I just see the importance of my role at the club and with the boys and the team. That is more effective than how I was before."
The key to the turnaround in Luke's game was the arrival of Michael Maguire as Souths coach.
Away from football, wife Mikayla and manager Martin Tauber have also been a huge influence.
"My family is a massive backbone for me, they have been making sure I do the right thing," Luke said.
Asked who was the toughest on him, Maguire or Mikayla, Luke laughs: "Probably my wife, she is pretty scary."
At Souths, Maguire has worked behind the scenes to help Luke mature on and off the field and while he can be tough, the Rabbitohs mentor has also shown care and concern for him.
Luke admits his transformation stems from a conversation he had with Maguire after meeting the new Rabbitohs coach upon his return from the 2011 Four Nations tournament.
"He sort of fanned it out and I had a pretty good look at it and how I was previously up to that event," Luke said of his discipline. "It is a massive change and I think about my teammates and not myself. I have got a very angry coach so I don't want to piss him off."
Crocker, who also played under Maguire when he was assistant coach at Melbourne, said he once had a similar conversation with Storm mentor Craig Bellamy.
"He told me 'don't lose your aggression but don't give away silly penaltes because I won't tolerate it' and Madge is exactly the same, he doesn't cop any of that sort of stuff because it hurts the team," Crocker said.
Under Maguire, Crocker said Luke was only just beginning to realise how good a player he could be.
"He has developed all those skills over time and last year he really worked on controlling the game as well by making sure he got the ball to the halves at the right times and playing with the markers a little bit more," Crocker said.
"That is where Cameron is obviously the best in the world and probably the best we have ever seen in controlling the game so the more Issac continues to work on his game the better he is going to be and he will continually be talked about in the same sentences as Cameron."
New Zealand team manager Tony Iro said he had also noticed the change in Luke's game.
"We drafted him into the leadership group after what I thought was a real big transition in his performance in 2012 where he seemed to have got his game and his emotions under his control," Iro said. "I think his next progression is controlling the big games because every side will be gunning for Souths as they are now favourites for the title."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...outh-sydney-20140313-hvi4o.html#ixzz2vsvpUz9z

Big Sam

First Grade
Rubbish performance best exemplified by Burgess' moronic intercept pass (why was he even going down the blind when we were in good FG range?).

tbunny

Juniors
Bunnies were ordinary. Need another gamebreaker. Ingles can't do it on his own. Manly certainly have got plenty of mongrel about them and that is something we need a bit more of.

Galeforce

Bench
Congratulations to Manly , they showed us how to win ugly.
They held us in the "grunt stakes" and had more smarts to take their chances and win.We had so many chances from the first set to take advantages however we were poor in execution .

Mistake to have played Walker , he should have been rested from this game as he was not 100% and i believe a fully fit Walker would not have missed that crucial 1on1.

Reynolds was CLEARLY overshadowed by DCE in all departments. Our kicking game was REALLY poor in all aspects and cost us the game . Missing a kick in front , not taking a field goal attempt when we had the chance and then botching a later attempt. Our general play kicking was pathetic , 90% being taken by fullback/wingers on the full or being knocked by us and conceding plenty of ground. We failed to find touch with a general kick all game. Minimal pressure applied on Manly.!!! Reynolds should forget about running the ball and focus on getting his strength back ( kicking game) .

I thought Nathan had a really good game , as did George.

On the brighter side,
We do not have to worry about the March premiers tag now.
We do not need to find a replacement for Reynolds during the Origin period.Last nights game should have killed his Origin aspirations for 2014.

Manly overcome loss of Stewart brothers to beat South Sydney

League News South Sydney Rabbitohs Manly Sea Eagles League Match Report
Date March 15, 2014 - 2:49AM
  • 29 reading now
  • (28)
  • Read later

Michael Chammas

Rugby league reporter

Manly punish Souths' mistakes

Manly bounced back after their loss to Melbourne, beating South Sydney 14-12.

Manly were not supposed to win that game of football.
Against the most convincing team of the opening round and without the Stewart brothers, Manly had no right to win their first game of the season against the Rabbitohs in Gosford on Friday night.
It was far from pretty - in fact it was pretty ugly - but the 14-12 win was gutsy. By the 45 minute mark, both teams had produced 10 errors, giving the 15,120 fans little entertainment.That was until the physical and emotion-charged final quarter of the match.
At the same ground and against the same team Geoff Toovey launched his now infamous attack on the match officials - one which happened to be in charge of the match on Friday night - Manly this time left the Central Coast with something to smile about.
"It was close," Toovey said.
"There were some heated exchanges in the coaches box. I apologised to the people in the backrows of the grandstand. Please accept my apologies."

When they look back at the video they might not see much worth crowing about, but after last week's gut-wrenching golden-point loss to Melbourne, it would have been pleasing enough to avoid two straight losses to open the season for the first time since 2010.
With the scores level at 12-12 with four minutes remaining on the clock, the Sea Eagles were awarded a penalty 30 metres out and right in front of the posts after David Tyrrell was deemed to have held Kieran Foran down in a tackle.
Manly skipper Jamie Lyon didn't miss out on the opportunity, but South Sydney still had a chance to snatch victory at the death. However, the Manly defence was up to the task.
Without two of their most influential and senior players, Brett and Glenn Stewart, as well as winger Jorge Taufua, the Sea Eagles went into the match as underdogs, a tag that sits comfortably with them.
"There's pride with them within the team and pride without them," hooker Matt Ballin said of the Stewart brothers.
"I think our team thrives when we're up against the wall. We love a challenge and those two guys are a massive part of the team attacking wise and defensively as well. I thought Peta Hiku did a great job and so too Jamie Buhrer on our right edge instead of Gifty. There's a lot of great pride in our team no matter what but when there's adversity that's when we like to play."
After leading 6-0 early in the first half, the Sea Eagles conceded the next two tries and a penalty goal to fall behind by six heading into final quarter of the game.
But Jamie Buhrer turned the match on its head when he broke past Dylan Walker, putting Daly Cherry-Evans in under the crossbar to level the scores with 16 minutes remaining.
South Sydney's Adam Reynolds and Lyon both had unsuccessful field-goal attempts, but in the end it was the boot of Lyon which proved the difference.
Greg Inglis' superhuman try-saving tackle on Steve Matai in the first half almost proved to be the difference between the two teams. The South Sydney fullback showed incredible strength to stop a rampaging Matai from close range, but it was to no avail in the end.
While Toovey was pleased with the result and refrained from asking for another 'investigation', he still wasn't happy with the men in the middle - especially after South Sydney looked to have been awarded a try after a knock on at the play-the-ball.
"I don't want to get into too much, but that's two weeks in the row where people have dropped the ball, our captain has come from 40 metres away to try and get the referees to do something but it goes unnoticed," he said.
"I don't understand. I do have some trouble with some of the interpretation and consistency but it is round two and hopefully we're all teething at the moment and it will improve."
MANLY 14 (C Blair D Cherry-Evans tries J Lyon 3 goals) bt SOUTH SYDNEY 12 (S Burgess B Champion tries A Reynolds 2 goals) at Central Coast Stadium. Referee: Shayne Hayne, Chris James. Crowd: 15,120.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...outh-sydney-20140314-hviot.html#ixzz2vzCYARJA

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Congratulations to Manly , they showed us how to win ugly.
They held us in the "grunt stakes" and had more smarts to take their chances and win.We had so many chances from the first set to take advantages however we were poor in execution .

Mistake to have played Walker , he should have been rested from this game as he was not 100% and i believe a fully fit Walker would not have missed that crucial 1on1.

Reynolds was CLEARLY overshadowed by DCE in all departments. Our kicking game was REALLY poor in all aspects and cost us the game . Missing a kick in front , not taking a field goal attempt when we had the chance and then botching a later attempt. Our general play kicking was pathetic , 90% being taken by fullback/wingers on the full or being knocked by us and conceding plenty of ground. We failed to find touch with a general kick all game. Minimal pressure applied on Manly.!!! Reynolds should forget about running the ball and focus on getting his strength back ( kicking game) .

I thought Nathan had a really good game , as did George.

On the brighter side,
We do not have to worry about the March premiers tag now.
We do not need to find a replacement for Reynolds during the Origin period.Last nights game should have killed his Origin aspirations for 2014.

Agreed on Reynolds. All of the Origin talk and the rubbish about running the ball (spouted again by Johns in the commentary in round one) seems to have really knocked him off course. Assuming he's not being coached that way, which I doubt, then Reynolds needs to refocus.

Champion worries me a bit. I can't help but wonder if Sutton back into the halves wouldn't relieve some pressure off Reynolds and strengthen the centres (admittedly weakening the backrow a little).

Latest posts