What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First player dropped or scapegoat

Delboy

First Grade
With the new rules you need a good kicking game, the game is quicker too, neither of which Kelly does at all well

Tactics to cover Sandow is sensible, Broncos did it for Lockyer, you 0 always leak pints if you don't get field position and that is something that. Sandow provides ( and a running game )

hindy111

Post Whore
I wouldn't go making to many changes this week, Peats in for Lussick is about all.For future we need go forward and guys who can tackle

Options for future thou -

B.Smith - Tanginoa starts - Santi/Uelsai/Loko
MoiMoi - Bench maybe Jnr Paulo/Lassalo
Jospeh P - Mossop

hindy111

Post Whore
Peats is our future captain IMO.He lokos a leader.Kelly looks overwhelmed out there.One thing Sandow doesn't. Round 6 before we should see how we are travelling and make changes

Roosters-Manly-Melbourne-Souths are the obvious top teams along with Penrith as the most improved team than think can trouble the top 4.The rest are fairly equal.

After round 6 we only play Souths manly penrith and Melbourne once.That leaves us with a lot of games against the average teams.
The tough draw at start of year is perfect IMO. If we won 2/6 id be very happy considering whats left after rnd 6. Plus it will condition us for the rest of the season.

strider

Post Whore
I think what they are saying is Sandow could be less hopeless than Kelly, it appears neither will lead us to the promised land, Sandow will outplay his opposition a few times per season, Kelly can't

It's not like a choice between Scarlett Johansen and Angeline Jolie is it.?

Exactly. They are both absolutely shit. All anyone is debating is who is slightly less shit (though still very much shit).

thats pretty harsh - I'd root both scarlett and angelina ... u must have high standard gary

noosa-eel

Juniors
I agree we played sh*t last night but the Roosters didn't let us play, they were in our faces from the start (something we should of carried on with instead of the first 10mins). As for dropped players : Joseph Paulo & Ben Smith
Scapegoats: Kelly & Norman :(

yy_cheng

Coach
I dont understand Sterlo's love for kelly.

I actually think Sterlo is a poor judge of players. Great on strategy but not on players. Unless he is forced to write about something and he tries and to shed them in good light.

I think nearly every halfback we had he has said the goods then later on changes his mind.

He said Tim Smith was awesoome, Then the opposition worked him out and Sterlo says he needs to take on the line.

Well Kelly is crapola taking on the line

DeanPay98

Juniors
I think tweaking rather than a full blown panic is in order after last night. The two best dummy halves in our team are Peats and Kelly. They need to be the hooking rotation from herein. Sandow needs to be back in the halves. His kicking game and running game are superior to Kelly's. The new rules make both essential and with Ben Smith and Peats defending, Sandow's defensive issues might be reduced. I would put Hopoate on the wing and bring Morgan into the centers. Hoppa has been great, but Morgan's defence is vital and Hoppa offers more on the wing than Vai Toutai. I would drop Kenny Edwards. He seemed lost last night and wasn't great last week. Maybe Terepo or Tanginoa should start at lock. I'd put Mannah on the bench as well and start with Allgood. Mannah might be better after the game has been going for a bit, by default that worked last week and he was the best in a sorry bunch last night.

We would have lost anyway last night. But with the new rules a team can't give away so many penalties and/or be so slow from dummy half without getting thrashed. The kicking game didn't help either. Kelly just seems like Jeff Robson without the defensive muscle.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think tweaking rather than a full blown panic is in order after last night. The two best dummy halves in our team are Peats and Kelly. They need to be the hooking rotation from herein. Sandow needs to be back in the halves. His kicking game and running game are superior to Kelly's. The new rules make both essential and with Ben Smith and Peats defending, Sandow's defensive issues might be reduced. I would put Hopoate on the wing and bring Morgan into the centers. Hoppa has been great, but Morgan's defence is vital and Hoppa offers more on the wing than Vai Toutai. I would drop Kenny Edwards. He seemed lost last night and wasn't great last week. Maybe Terepo or Tanginoa should start at lock. I'd put Mannah on the bench as well and start with Allgood. Mannah might be better after the game has been going for a bit, by default that worked last week and he was the best in a sorry bunch last night.

We would have lost anyway last night. But with the new rules a team can't give away so many penalties and/or be so slow from dummy half without getting thrashed. The kicking game didn't help either. Kelly just seems like Jeff Robson without the defensive muscle.

You mean that there is an option other than a 'full blown panic'??? :shock:

Eelogical

Referee

Seven changes is tweaking? I would hate to see the full blown panic strategy.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Seven changes is tweaking? I would hate to see the full blown panic strategy.

Well, I held back on asking for the coach to be sacked or doing a powerpoint presentation listing players to be sacked.

But seriously, I'd only suggest dropping two people and reshuffling others. Its much the same as what Brian Smith did after the Broncos thrashed the Eels 54-14 in 2005. Out went Ash Graham and in came Wagon to defend in the centres. From memory Tahu went from the centres to the wing. An inexperienced player in Afamasanga was dropped for a more experienced player.

Slightly similar issues I think. Our team cant carry two inexperienced wingers. And the attacking ability in the backline needs to be balanced with a defensive centre. All said and done Morgan is NRL standard. He won't be an SOO player, but he is reliable.

The Kelly-Sandow issue is unique. But at the end of the day Sandow is a proven first grade halfback. More to the point dummy half is now even more crucial than it was before and as great as Peats is, he can't necessarily do the full 80 mins and Kelly is actually really good in that role.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Of course Edwards looked lost. He's a backrower who was playing Hooker.

He wasn't great in week 1 either when he was there as a backrower. Check NRL stats. Does he warrant being a starting backrower over Tanginoa or Terepo? Can our forward pack contain four backrowers with less than 20 games each worth of experience? This was the same issue that got us last year --- too many inexperienced players. That was before all the rule changes. It seems like we've now got rid of the underperformers (Maitua, Keating, Roberts etc) but we're still light for seasoned forwards. This will get worse when Lussick is suspended.

Latest posts