What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Renewed for 9th (and Final) Season

Bulldog Force

Referee
Any fans of this show? Well, at least it wasn't canceled, it's just ending (about time too). It seemed that way given the way Season 8 started. So in a years time we'll be finishing up one of the most unusual sitcoms of our time. This is old news in America, but I only found out this morning.

By the way, this show isn't aimed at girls, it's one of those sitcoms for everyone. NPH by far is the funniest gay man on Earth.

Happy times :lol:

Source: http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/exc...d-show-was-given-up-for-dead-until-11th-hour/

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Renewed for 9th (and Final) Season

how-i-met-your-mother-teds-wedding.jpg

After rumors swirled that Jason Segel was ready to depart How I Met Your Mother after the current eighth season, almost ensuring that this would be the last for the CBS comedy series, a deal has been made in the 11th hour to keep him around.
A final decision had to be made this month in order to figure out whether or not the overarching story of the show needed to begin closing this season or finish out with season 9, and Segel was the one cast member who was hellbent on finally leaving the show. So what happened?

Deadline says Segel “decided to bail and leave the cast hanging. But he just got turned around today at the last second. The show was literally dead.” Sounds like Segel got lawyered. The contracts for all of the stars, including Josh Radnor, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan, in addition to series creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays, were up at the end of the current season, so a new deal had to be figured out for the endgame.
Thankfully, CBS now has all the key components for what will be the ninth and final season in this long saga of love for Ted Mosby. That’s good news since CBS was hopeful they would get at least one more season for the show. I’m just hoping Segel isn’t coming back begrudgingly and he has the inside track on what will hopefully be a satisfying conclusion.
jason-segel-couch-window.jpg

Honestly, as a fan who has seen every episode of the series, I’m relieved that we have an end in sight, but this season has not impressed me at all. Only with last week’s power hour of two episodes did I feel like some real progress in the story had been made and the charm of the earlier seasons had returned. Otherwise, there’s been too many ridiculous things happening that started to turn the show into one of the less satisfying comedies on CBS right now. But perhaps this will turn out much like The Office, where the penultimate season was lacking in the spirit of the finer writing of earlier episodes, but the farewell season brought back the quality goods with vengeance.
With season 9 set as the end, it sounds like fans will finally learn who the mother is either in the fall of 2013, or the spring of 2014, and that’s something to be excited about now. With all the red herrings and complicated storytelling that adult Ted Mosby has thrown to his kids, hopefully the payoff is worth the nine year wait. But the question remains as to just what actress is perfect to play the love of Ted’s life. It’s going to be hard to please everyone with this casting, and it might be as divisive an element as the ending to LOST. Only time will tell.
How I Met Your Mother is on winter hiatus (like the rest of the network shows) but will return with new episodes on January 14th at 8/7c on CBS.
-
Soure: Deadline

Storm13

Juniors
They still better reveal the mother at the end of this season and let us see her interactions with the rest of the characters during season 9.

Flapper

First Grade
They still better reveal the mother at the end of this season and let us see her interactions with the rest of the characters during season 9.

Well you figure that will be the set up for the final frames of Season 8, if the opening and closing eps of Season 7 are any indication.

Probably a good run and good to end it at 9, the whole premise of the show leads to a "are we there yet" sort of reaction the longer the series goes on.

Big Pete

Referee
Should have ended 3 seasons ago.

So much filler, I'm surprised Season 7 didn't kill this show.

Storm13

Juniors
Well you figure that will be the set up for the final frames of Season 8, if the opening and closing eps of Season 7 are any indication.

Probably a good run and good to end it at 9, the whole premise of the show leads to a "are we there yet" sort of reaction the longer the series goes on.

You would think that but this is "hollywood" Since we are getting a season 9 I doubt we will see the mothers face at the end of season 8.

Danish

Referee
this show really needed to be capped at a set amount of seasons by the creators from the outset, as while I do love the show and still watch it I definitely get the feeling that while they always knew who the mother would be from the beginning, they really had no idea how to get there and have been tossing in a bunch of pointless stories along the way.

It is getting quite funny though to think how bad a dad Ted is. Imagine your father sat you down and said "I'm going to tell you about how I met your mum" then proceeded to tell you his entire sexual history of nailing s**ts left and right, all while being madly in love with another chick for 8 years who is NOT your mum and seemingly still plays a large role in your life given you know her as Aunt Robin :lol:

My wife is adamant that the big reveal will end up being that the mother is still Robin and that when she calls him into the bridal suite at her and Barney's wedding they run off together or something, but I dunno I don't see it going that way now.

Storm13

Juniors
this show really needed to be capped at a set amount of seasons by the creators from the outset, as while I do love the show and still watch it I definitely get the feeling that while they always knew who the mother would be from the beginning, they really had no idea how to get there and have been tossing in a bunch of pointless stories along the way.

It is getting quite funny though to think how bad a dad Ted is. Imagine your father sat you down and said "I'm going to tell you about how I met your mum" then proceeded to tell you his entire sexual history of nailing s**ts left and right, all while being madly in love with another chick for 8 years who is NOT your mum and seemingly still plays a large role in your life given you know her as Aunt Robin :lol:

My wife is adamant that the big reveal will end up being that the mother is still Robin and that when she calls him into the bridal suite at her and Barney's wedding they run off together or something, but I dunno I don't see it going that way now.

To true lol.

Maybe the end will go something like "and that's how I met your mother and also why she eventually left me...also you are adopted" cut to black.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I don't think so because I've picked up a couple of clues along the way that hint to us who the mother is. The clues I've gathered to-date are...
  • She is blonde
  • She was in Teds Architecture class
  • She was Cindys (Rachel Bilson) roommate
  • Ted first saw her at Barney and Robins wedding and she is in the Wedding Band
  • Something about that yellow umbrella keeps being brought up

DB

First Grade
I don't think it is Robin, due to the fact he always refers to her, to his kids as Aunty Robin.

Danish

Referee
I don't think so because I've picked up a couple of clues along the way that hint to us who the mother is. The clues I've gathered to-date are...
  • She is blonde
  • She was in Teds Architecture class
  • She was Cindys (Rachel Bilson) roommate
  • Ted first saw her at Barney and Robins wedding and she is in the Wedding Band
  • Something about that yellow umbrella keeps being brought up

I agree with all those reasons why Robin ain't the mother. It does seem a little weird though that they are still carrying on with the "Ted Loves Robin" thing after all these years. Its a stupid plot IMO that they almost keep trying to shoehorn back in every 20 episodes which isn't needed.

Either way I'll be happy for the show to end. I have faith that they'll actually do it justice as the show has always been able to handle tackling emotional/serious issues while still maintaining the same feel and comedy about it which should make for a good finale *highlight for spoiler* The handling of Marshall's Dad dying in particular was brilliant IMO

Storm13

Juniors
I hope the Mother turns out to be the woman he was suppose to go on the date with back in season 1, but decided to try and get Robin instead.

gronkathon

First Grade
I used to love this show.

At some point though the characters became terrible people.

Barney was always a terrible, yet funny, person and there was always a redemption arc in the offing.

Lilly is a f**king merkin. She is the worst person on TV with the manipulation, self agrandising and self centred pointless shit that has been her lot since she left Marshall to go to art college (yeah you leave NYC for that pfft)

Marshall is a simpering non commital sook who must have a choke chain around his scrotum that his bitchy shrew of a wife leads him around with.

Ted is a f**king jerk. This tale of searching for the one, being this great guy etc worked well for a time but he is now essentially season 1 Barney without the comedy

Robin....meh

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
I wanted the mother to be Robin before it was revealed she's marrying Barney. I think it would be anti-climactic to go through eight seasons before he meets the mother. What's the point of the previous eight seasons then, really?
And the Ted loves Robin thing is now especially dumb since we know she's not the mother.

And I too liked the characters better before they became complete dicks. They are all incredibly selfish now (except Marshall now) despite holding to the 'do anything for each other' thing. Lily is awful and most of her jokes now are about being horny for Marshall. They betray each other all the time for personal gain, you know before realising they were wrong and friendship is more important blah blah blah.
Ted started off as a nice guy with a few annoying qualities but has blown into a full pretentious douche who steals a girl from a friend, then dumps her for his own ambitions, blowing up her childhood home in the meantime.
Barney was funny when it was obvious his attempts at being awesome were actually incredibly lame, pointed out often by Ted. Then it went into the whole 7 from 7 thing where Ted tells his kids how they celebrated Barney nailing seven girls in a week, a real good lesson in respect. He's quite a bit better since he's grown a heart with his dad thing and actually attempting relationships but it's a wonder how any girl could respect him.
And Robin's always been selfish but her thing with Kevin and Barney was really weak of her.
And they all have no problem telling each other their current partner's innermost secrets.
I just watched this episode where Ted had a shot with an amzing girl and his friends ruind it for him by doing exactly what he told them not to. Honestly?

The saving grace for this show is that it's still qute funny.

Haffa

The game show ep early in this season was the last one I watched couldn't bring myself to watch anymore after that. Shows lost something.
Glad its ending.

Storm13

Juniors
Taken from
http://www.tvguide.com/News/How-Met-Mother-Bosses-1060327.aspx

Thomas won't divulge whether the extra year altered plans on how HIMYM would introduce the mother: "That's one of the few remaining tricks up our sleeves." But he promises next year will look and feel much different from past seasons: "It's going to be a new way to tell the story," he says. "You're never going to mistake a Season 9 episode from one of the previous eight."

Hopefully this kind of leans towards the mother becoming a main character during the last season.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Taken from
http://www.tvguide.com/News/How-Met-Mother-Bosses-1060327.aspx

Thomas won't divulge whether the extra year altered plans on how HIMYM would introduce the mother: "That's one of the few remaining tricks up our sleeves." But he promises next year will look and feel much different from past seasons: "It's going to be a new way to tell the story," he says. "You're never going to mistake a Season 9 episode from one of the previous eight."

Hopefully this kind of leans towards the mother becoming a main character during the last season.
That's a possibility. The end to season 8 will be huge in my opinion.

Tommax25

Bench
I wanted the mother to be Robin before it was revealed she's marrying Barney. I think it would be anti-climactic to go through eight seasons before he meets the mother. What's the point of the previous eight seasons then, really?
And the Ted loves Robin thing is now especially dumb since we know she's not the mother.

And I too liked the characters better before they became complete dicks. They are all incredibly selfish now (except Marshall now) despite holding to the 'do anything for each other' thing. Lily is awful and most of her jokes now are about being horny for Marshall. They betray each other all the time for personal gain, you know before realising they were wrong and friendship is more important blah blah blah.
Ted started off as a nice guy with a few annoying qualities but has blown into a full pretentious douche who steals a girl from a friend, then dumps her for his own ambitions, blowing up her childhood home in the meantime.
Barney was funny when it was obvious his attempts at being awesome were actually incredibly lame, pointed out often by Ted. Then it went into the whole 7 from 7 thing where Ted tells his kids how they celebrated Barney nailing seven girls in a week, a real good lesson in respect. He's quite a bit better since he's grown a heart with his dad thing and actually attempting relationships but it's a wonder how any girl could respect him.
And Robin's always been selfish but her thing with Kevin and Barney was really weak of her.
And they all have no problem telling each other their current partner's innermost secrets.
I just watched this episode where Ted had a shot with an amzing girl and his friends ruind it for him by doing exactly what he told them not to. Honestly?

The saving grace for this show is that it's still qute funny.

They were all adults. I don't see the problem.

On the show, it defs needed this ending to be set. As many have said it has gone on a few seasons too long. I am glad that they get another season to wrap it up rather than ending it this season though, but like someone mentioned they better reveal the mother this season and show their path to marriage a bit ect

Should have ended 3 seasons ago.

So much filler, I'm surprised Season 7 didn't kill this show.

Earlier season filler eps were always quality (I'd say some of the fillers in the early seasons would dominate the top 10 list for the best episodes of the series). The show seems to have lost it's edge in recent series though, with so much information about the mother revealed, they can't drop anymore red herrings or false storylines to hook you in. With what they've given up, Barney and Robin are now the 2 main characters of the series, despite it being about Ted.

You would think that but this is "hollywood" Since we are getting a season 9 I doubt we will see the mothers face at the end of season 8.

They've had a few cliffhanger season endings early on, I sense that will happen here as well. Season 8 will end with Ted and the mother seeing each other for the first time, but we won't see the mother until the start of season 9. I also get the feeling that the difference between season 9 and the first 8 is that the future narration will be done by Ted and the mother.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Perhaps the ending could be Robyn barney and Marshall all sitting in the pub, ted walks in, don't stop believin comes on the jukebox, cue black screen and end credits

Latest posts