What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘I’m not going anywhere’: Sullivan’s message to Tigers

Tiger05

First Grade
Bud Sullivan says he has no intention of being moved on from Wests Tigers and will fight to partner incoming superstar Jarome Luai in the halves next year.

As revealed by this masthead, the managers of Sullivan and teammate Brent Naden have been told their clients have permission to explore other opportunities, despite both being contracted. In Sullivan’s case, he is just half a season into a four-year, $2.6 million contract that doesn’t expire until the end of 2027.

The development comes as Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson met with one of Sullivan’s main rivals for a halves spot, Lachlan Galvin, at the family’s home on Wednesday to reiterate the club wouldn’t be granting his release request.
Regardless, Sullivan is adamant he is staying put.

“100 per cent, I don’t plan on going anywhere anytime soon,” Sullivan told this masthead.
“I’m a Wests Tiger for the next four years, that’s what I plan on doing. Personally, I don’t think anything has changed …
[IMG alt="Jayden Sullivan remains committed to the Tigers.
"]https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.126,$multiply_0.7725,$ratio_1.5,$width_756,$x_0,$y_0/t_crop_custom/q_86,f_auto/eb822e1b2daee0df2b2c49a28262858e39ef71f1[/IMG]
Jayden Sullivan remains committed to the Tigers. Credit: Edwina Pickles / Sydney Morning Herald
“At the end of the day we are all human, and it probably does take an effect on me. But I’ve got a really good support base around me, my Dad has been my biggest supporter ever since I was born. My sisters have good shoulders to lean on if you ever need someone to talk to. Everyone in the NRL looks after each other.
“It’s been tough, but it will only make me stronger.”

The Tigers already have halves Sullivan, Aidan Sezer, Latu Fainu, Adam Doueihi and Galvin on their books, while Luai is the marquee playmaker the club will build around when he arrives next season. Apisai Koroisau will wear the No.7 jersey this weekend due to a finger spiral fracture that will sideline Sullivan for the next five weeks.
Despite being permitted to explore other options, Sullivan wants to cement a halves spot alongside Luai next year.
“100 per cent,” he said. “Everyone wants to play first grade and I feel like our results aren’t showing.
“Our efforts are there week in and week out. That’s what I want to do, play my best footy and be in the starting 17.
“The lads we have coming [Luai and Panthers teammate Sunia Turuva] next year are experienced players. They’ve won three premierships in a row, done everything in the game.

“They will bring extra experience to help the senior players like John Bateman and Api.
Jayden Sullivan and Alex Lobb celebrate a Tigers try against the Dragons last weekend.

Jayden Sullivan and Alex Lobb celebrate a Tigers try against the Dragons last weekend.Credit: Getty Images
“The older heads will point us in the right direction, which will help us having such a young squad.”
Sullivan had to endure similar speculation over his future while at the Dragons, who granted him an early release to join the Tigers. Despite the latest rumblings, the 22-year-old said the move has been a good one.
“I love the club, I feel the move has been really good for me,” he said.

“The environment at training, everyone is smiling and getting along, that’s what you want as a team. I know we’re not winning, but rugby league is such a hard sport. We all want to win, but at the end of the day it can be next to impossible [in certain situations].
“But we will fight, we’ll get our gloves off the canvas and go again.”
Sullivan also threw his support behind Galvin, who has come under criticism for seeking greener pastures.
“It’s hard with Lachy, some of the things coming out about him probably aren’t true,” he said.
“At the end of the day I’m there to be his mate as well. I’m sure whatever he decides, he’ll decide.

“He puts his best foot forward every time he steps onto the training paddock, there’s no kicking stones.”
Sullivan had no qualms about finishing off the Dragons game, despite suffering the finger injury in the opening half.
“Anyone would have done it,” he said. “In the moment you don’t feel anything, you keep playing footy and don’t worry about it.
“I felt I had a good first half and wanted to get back out there and make up for the sin bin.

“The last three games I was starting to string some better games together and get my confidence back.
“Unfortunately I got injured again, but that’s part of footy, part of life.”

Tiger05

First Grade
This is so shit and it's exactly what pisses me off about this club. A 4 year contract for a guy that wasn't wanted at his club on big dollars and we want him gone but we can't get rid of him.

Benji was right across this signing as well.

Tigerm

Coach
This is so shit and it's exactly what pisses me off about this club. A 4 year contract for a guy that wasn't wanted at his club on big dollars and we want him gone but we can't get rid of him.

Benji was right across this signing as well.
TBF, at the time we signed him, we had no halves at all from memory. Though I didn't think we had signed him on so much cash.

Someone2

Bench
Buds got passion for the club and wants to help
Rebuild it unlike Galvin who wants to f**k off to a more successful club

TBF, at the time we signed him, we had no halves at all from memory. Though I didn't think we had signed him on so much cash.
That's 100% correct. Aside from Galvin, we had no halves, and certainly no halves with 1st grade experience. I don't think the figure quoted in the article is correct. I think its 2 mil over 4 years at $500k per year. I've never heard any more than that.

Like you, the length of the contract surprised me. I'd have given him 2 years tops, but most likely 1 year. Bloody ridiculous for an unproven player.

I applaude Sullivan for sticking to his guns though. A contract works 2 ways and we were dumb enough to sign him to it.

Nutz

Bench
I applaude Sullivan for sticking to his guns though. A contract works 2 ways and we were dumb enough to sign him to it.
He has been trying. When a team is going shite there are no other positions that comes under as much scrutiny as a ½back, he cops most of the blame.
He's a nice lad, indigenous I think and just needs a pack that goes fwd and a little bit of polish. Sezer will help him.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I like his attitude. He often talks about learning so he doesn't have a big head. He does his best and with his determination to get better who knows what he will be like in another year. If Galvin thinks he is too good for the Tigers Sullivan might yet turn out to be a good signing.

Tiger05

First Grade
If Galvin thinks he is too good for the Tigers Sullivan might yet turn out to be a good signing.

The problem is at this point Galvin is better than Sullivan and Latu Fainu. We also have 2 too many halves and we need to piss 2 of them off or play them elsewhere.

Maybe letting Galvin go is the right decision. He isn't quick but at the same time he looks like he could be a quality NRL player.

This club is f**ked though. The contracts we signed are so dumb.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The problem is at this point Galvin is better than Sullivan and Latu Fainu. We also have 2 too many halves and we need to piss 2 of them off or play them elsewhere.

Maybe letting Galvin go is the right decision. He isn't quick but at the same time he looks like he could be a quality NRL player.

How can you say we have 2 halfs too many when we have to play Api at half this week because we don't have enough.

Now sure, the salary balance isn't right but I am happy to keep Sullivan given he covers a few positions and really our squad is so young and poor that we should be easily able to cover his 500K with the cap going up each year.

Nutz

Bench
How can you say we have 2 halfs too many when we have to play Api at half this week because we don't have enough.

Now sure, the salary balance isn't right but I am happy to keep Sullivan given he covers a few positions and really our squad is so young and poor that we should be easily able to cover his 500K with the cap going up each year.
Sullivan was originally given the keys to run the backline, now he must think, like a lot of us, that we are really a shiteshow.
Give him a go for say the next 5rds then give Latu 5. Best man wins a spot if Galvin pusses off. Chopping and changing just complicates things.

Tiger05

First Grade

Easily - we have Galvin, Latu Fainu, Sullivan and Luai on our books for next season.

Do any clubs have that many first grade halves on their books for next season.

It's so stupid.

I don't see Api playing in the halves as something to even mention. It's only happening to appease Galvin and because Latu and Sullivan aren't available. These things will happen over the course of the season for most teams. You have to have a back-up opton. We have 4 guys being paid to be first grade halves on our books next season.

If it was one player I'd agree but they will all be on that amount. That means we have to pay less money for some other positions which screws over the balance of the team.

Galvin will either be given a big upgrade or he'll leave. I think Latu is on about 500k and Sullivan is on that as well.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Good on Sullivan, he has every right to stay. It was a horrible contract and most of us said so at the time. He’s definitely shown he has something at various times, however the good often out weighs the bad with him. Ideally he’d leave but I cant knock the bloke at all if he refuses to go.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Ask anyone involved and I'm sure their answer would be " I don't know, it seemed like a good idea at the time. "

Tigerm

Coach
He can say what he wants, I still reckon he won’t be here next year. He’ll still get paid, no matter what.

Fordy20

Juniors
We've had worse contracts like Mbye and Reynolds. At least this bloke wants to be here and fight for a spot. If he wants to stay and be Luai's understudy in NSW Cup for the next few years, more power to him. Given Api was playing in the halves today, we don't have enough depth to be pushing players in key positions out the door.