What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘Never got any game time’: Wendell Sailor slams Dragons for cutting son Tristan

GongPanther

Referee
‘Never got any game time’: Wendell Sailor slams Dragons for cutting son Tristan
3 minutes
NRL legend Wendell Sailor is furious with the Dragons after the club told his son Tristan that his services were no longer required beyond 2020.

Danny Weidler reported the club doesn’t believe the 22-year-old, who has played five games for the Dragons since his debut in 2019, is part of their future under incoming coach Anthony Griffin.

“Sailor was told officially that he is not part of the Dragons plans for next year,” Weidler tweeted.

“He will be a good pick up for another club. Excellent young bloke.”

Sailor’s father Wendell who scored 17 tries in 33 games for the club over the 2008 and 2009 seasons believes the club has let down Tristan with the way they have handled his development.

“He was told by the club that if he had a big off-season, he would be in the mix this year but he never got any game time,” the former Test star told Wide World of Sports.

“He got two games off the bench and was expected to pull off the miracle play with limited game time.

“Now they say he is not wanted - my wife and I are very disappointed that he never got the opportunity to show what he’s got on the field.”

Sailor was disappointed that after all the sacrifices their son had made over the course of the coronavirus pandemic that the club couldn’t stand by him and offer him more opportunities to show what he has got in first grade.

“He’s done everything right all year,” Sailor said.

“He couldn’t even come to my mum’s funeral because he was in the bubble but he accepted that and now they cut him.

“Hopefully he can find another club because he is a good young player with something to offer.

“While we are disappointed, the Red V will always be a part of us; we love the club.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...n/news-story/784264c97bf8e7c25c04d4ebc3d10c15

Wow...such an up and coming talent. I'm sure under a great coach he'll reinvigorate his career.

SBD82

Coach
While our development of juniors is awful, the hype surrounding him is undeserved. He can play ok in several positions, but he isn’t a complete player in any. We have better prospects coming through in all of his positions.

I’ll be interested to see where he lands, where his next club decides to play him, and how he goes. I can’t see him defending in the line for a full season unless he is wedged between a very good backrower/ centre defensive combo.

Wendy getting behind his son is fine, we all would in that position. I guess the difference between him and most of us, is someone called up Wendall for a quote.

Yep. Wendell played with the club and has(d?) a bit to do with the club off the field as well and as you mention, someone has asked him the question, so he has answered the question.

He also has a very valid point. Yes, the kid has his deficiencies as all rookies do, but I don’t think he got a decent shake at it either.

Our whole club and it’s systems are a dogs breakfast.

What is the logic of “resting” our mega-star Hunt when our season is on the line, and then not give young blokes a chance to prove themselves when we are essentially playing “junk time”?

I hope he goes on smashes it somewhere else and shows the losers in charge at the Dragons just how inept they really are.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yep. Wendell played with the club and has(d?) a bit to do with the club off the field as well and as you mention, someone has asked him the question, so he has answered the question.

He also has a very valid point. Yes, the kid has his deficiencies as all rookies do, but I don’t think he got a decent shake at it either.

Our whole club and it’s systems are a dogs breakfast.

What is the logic of “resting” our mega-star Hunt when our season is on the line, and then not give young blokes a chance to prove themselves when we are essentially playing “junk time”?

I hope he goes on smashes it somewhere else and shows the losers in charge at the Dragons just how inept they really are.

Pretty fair view IMO. And sometimes all a guy like Sailor, with plenty of positions under his belt, really needs is a shot at settling down in one.

You can see where the frustration comes from. The kid might have deficiencies but Norman and Hunt are deadset black holes...you almost feel like they could shoot Paul Vaughan on the field and still get picked the next week.

aqua_duck

Coach
I like how Dell makes out that Tristan is the only player who has made sacrifices by staying in the bubble, every player has made the same sacrifice. Let's be honest whilst he's a handy player if his last name wasn't sailor no one would bat an eye lid.
From what I've seen of him he's a fullback/winger who can fill in abit at 5/8th but he's the size of a small halfback

BennyV

Referee
He should have started the year at fullback after debuting and finishing last year there.
Then he should have been picked at 5/8 over Norman, who just sucks in general. So yes, his development has been stuffed by the shitshow that was the McGregor/Young era.

But his ceiling is ‘solid first grader’. I’d have liked to keep him for 1-2 years while the better talents develop but such is life (I assume we simply couldn’t offload Norman). Hope he finds a spot and reaches that ceiling.

Wendy getting behind his son is fine, we all would in that position. I guess the difference between him and most of us, is someone called up Wendall for a quote.

Indeed - and like a typical story, the banner headline with outrage hardly befits the content below it. Slams? Pffft.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Lets give everyone all the game time they want and have 30 players on the field for each side, then they will complain about no on passing them the ball

Perth Red

Post Whore
Classic storm type situation. Watch us sign him and turn him into a superstar and people still whinge melbourne don’t produce players lol

aqua_duck

Coach
Tyrone peachey 2.0, average at every position, genetics got him through the juniors, never mastered anything.

maybe a good bench player for middling teams nothing more.
Very, very poor man's Peachey. Peachey at least has abit of size about him where he can play in the forwards and use his quickness there, Tristan unfortunately didn't inherit any of his old man's size and is tiny

davi

Juniors
I remember his name was being floated a while ago that he was considering moving on from the Dragons. And the Titans were listed as a team potentially interested in him. Not sure if that is still the case.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How does this situation change people's opinions? He's already made it to First Grade so you haven't produced him.

we’re great at taking players not deemed good enough by others and turning them into superstars. Turning sows ears into silk purses is our speciality.