What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1, 6, 7 and 9

mickdo

Coach
Ok, looking at 2010 (yes I know we aren't out of it yet this year, but I don't want to tempt fate), does Parra have what it takes at the key positions to bring home the title?

Fullback
Hayne - the best in the game right now, so I think we have this spot covered

5/8
Mortimer - a rookie that has shown a lot of promise in 9 games, but a full season will be a very big challenge... jury's out I think (could he be at 7?)

Half
K. Keating - more than likely DA will put Keating back at half next year, and he certainly showed some good performances before his injury. Again, really just a rookie, and is going to have a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.

Robson - has been solid after a shaky start. Not spectacular, but solid, particularly in defence. Has he got enough to win a comp though, should he be given the job? *waits for references to Shane Perry*

Hooker
M. Keating - I'm just not sold on Matt Keating. His service is very slow, and he doesn't seem to take control of games when needed. Once again, he is very green. Matt, please prove me wrong!

Kingston - his future at the club is still unknown, but if he is with us next year I think he will be a huge asset. Has very good service from dummy-half, and great speed off the mark to catch marker defenders out. Love this guy. Hope he stays.

Mitchell - haven't seen him play, but he has a lot of wraps on him. Another rookie... that's really starting to worry me.

In my opinion we are very short of experience in the core positions. Fullback is not an issue, but the other 3 spots are definitely tinged with green. Do we have what it takes?

Discuss...

Eels Dude

Coach
I expect KK to be wearing the number 6 jersey next year and Mortimor the 7. Matt Keating gets a lot of criticism which is not deserved, it was only a year ago his name was being thrown up as a potential Dally M Rookie of the year. He's not a flashy dummy half but he's consistent and very reliable in defence. Having a solid backup off the bench would be handy though. If DA coaches Mortimor like he has been, and giving adequate rests and such, he may just fire to a high level next year. Our coach is a smart man.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would start Kingston and bring Keating on.

Kingston is the better defender and Keating the better attacker, therefore for mine, bring Keating on as the opposition forwards start to tire, with instruction to run it.

Eels Dude

Coach
Kingston is playing well because he is being used as an impact player off the bench and running at tired forwards. He is working very well in that position and DA is bringing him into the game at the right time. Starting him when the combination is working so well currently would be stupid IMO.

The Colonel

Immortal
1. Hayne
6. Keating
7. Mortimer
9. Keating
13. Mateo
14. Mitchell

It may start a bit slowly however once the combinations are sorted that will give us a good base for a shot at a premiership given the experience of players like Tahu, Hindmarsh, Cayless and Poore.....

Raudonikis

Juniors
1. Hayne
6. Keating
7. Mortimer
9. Keating
13. Mateo
14. Mitchell

It may start a bit slowly however once the combinations are sorted that will give us a good base for a shot at a premiership given the experience of players like Tahu, Hindmarsh, Cayless and Poore.....

I agree.plus Fui Fui

Parra Steve

Juniors
I thought Keating was the better defender and Kingston was the better attacker?

I think its a very good move by DA to put Anthony Mitchell to wenty for the rest of the year.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
1. Hayne
6. Keating
7. Mortimer
9. Keating
13. Mateo
14. Mitchell

That looks pretty promising, but inexperienced. My only concerns are 20 yr olds are running the team. 2011 looks more our year.

Pazza

First Grade
1. Hayne
6. Keating
7. Mortimer
9. Keating
13. Mateo
14. Mitchell

lots of points of attack! i like :D

I like the fact that KK and morts can guide the side around while Hayne and Mateo can selectively get involved and cause havoc. Really interested to see what Mitchell will bring to the side!

Gaffman

Juniors
Its true our 6, 7 and 9 are still pretty green. But if they can do a solid job, they don't have to be brilliant. NQ and the Titans rely on their 7 to be the best in their teams, because outside that, they're a bit undercooked.

For us, Mateo brings plenty extra to the ball playing department at 13, we'll have experience and power out wide with 2-5, and our forwards are good now, but looking even better for next year. And thats before we consider our 1... pwoarrr!!!! He's got spiders on him, seriously.

strider

Post Whore
I still don't think we have the kicking game to be a force .... our kicks in the opposition 20m are mostly shocking .... that is one area our halves need to work on massively!

yy_cheng

Coach
I still don't think we have the kicking game to be a force .... our kicks in the opposition 20m are mostly shocking .... that is one area our halves need to work on massively!

Hindy's kick was quite good last weekend :D

caylo

Bench
mortimers kicking inside the 20 is better than KK and KK kicking from long range is better than Mortz. KK short passing game is much better than Mortz which will help inside the 20 in attack and they both have dangerous running games.

We definatly have enough strike when also considering Mateo and Hayne can contribute. I've said it before, next year our pack will be one of the best in the comp and our backs will prob be the best in the comp, KK and Mortz main job will be to kick well in general play (esp long kicking) and once we are in position we have enough skill acorss the park to score points(guys like Hayne and Mateo who can step up into first reciever roles and guys like Tahu, Inu, Grothe and Reddy out wide). If we start to rely on our halves then its the teams fault not theirs, Hayne and Mateo shouldn't be over calling Mortz and KK all the time but they sill have to take responsibilty for directing the attack inside our attacking zone. KK and Mortz will learn to lead the team with time but they wont hold us back if we play to our strengths.