What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 Greatest Moments in Australian cricket

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I read in the paper the other day about the cricketers picking their top 10 Great moments in Australian cricket. Well Ive got my 10 greatest moments Ive ever seen.

1. Steve Waugh's test ton: He smashed an amazing 102 runs at the SCG against England in 2003. It was so brilliant, he came home strong with a four off the final ball of the day to bring up his ton. It was so special Ive even got it on DVD
2. Australia's world Cup in 1999: Some of the moments in the WC were just brilliant, McGrath's 5/19 against the Windies at Manchester, Steve Waugh's 120 against SAF in the Super 6 game, THAT SEMI FINAL against SAF, what a game. And to wrap it up the crushing win over the Paki's.
3. The win over the Windies in 1995: After just goin down by a match in 1992/93, the Aussies finally did it in Jamaica winning the series 2-1. Thanks to Steve Waugh's 200
4. Bev's last ball four at Sydney (1996 vs WI) : What an innings Bev had played, I honestly thought they were gone at one stage down 6/38. Bev got us home in an exciting finish.
5. Gilchrist and Langer's partnership in Hobart: This was something I would never have expected when they were down 5/125 needing 367 runs to win. With Gilchrist at the crease who only played 2 tests at the time, it was up Langer and him to produce a magnificant partnership against Pakistan.
6. Warne and "that ball" against England: It was at Manchester in 1993, and what a ball it was. First ball in the match for Shane Warne and he bowls Mike Gatting out.
7. Australia's test winning streak: I enjoyed every moment of it, 16 test matches in a row. A record that will stand for a long time.
8. Taylor's 334: What an innings from Taylor, he played some brilliant shots, he was sort of struggling between 50-100, but when he got his 200 he never looked like getting out.
9. The World Cup final innings 2003: What an amazing 140 from Ricky Ponting. He simply gave the Indian bowlers everything, belting them all over the park.
10. McGrath's 300 wickets, including a hattrick: What a career from Glenn McGrath and what a way to get 300 with a hattrick and dismissing Brian Lara.

Whats your greatest moments?

knights04

Bench
1. Steve Waugh's 102 vs Eng, SCG 2003
2. Matthew Hayden's 380 vs Zim, WACA 2003
3. Langer/Gilchrist partnership at Hob vs Pak 1999
4. Michael Bevan hitting last ball 4 vs WI 1996
5. Ian Healy's 161* vs WI 1996
6. Glenn McGrath's hatrick vs WI
7. Glenn McGrath's 8/38 vs Eng 1997
8. Shane Warne's ball of the century
9. Stuart MacGill's 12/107 vs Eng 1999
10. Matthew Elliott's 199 vs Eng 1997

Anonymous

Juniors
Only being 18 I don't think I can change any of the moments from you list CE.

I don't really remember any cricket prior to that period (only what I've seen from foxsports replay's, and stats and stories that I've read)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You young bucks missed the centenary test against the pomms and one of the greatest bowling efforts you will ever see in you life.

Derek Randells ton (175), Hoosksey smashing Greigy around and then D K Lillee taking control for Australia and bowling the pomms out on the last day.

Test cricket, you gotta love it.

PB

Bench
Wish i had been old enough to watch the West Indies v Australia test series of 1960-61. Worrell's side v Benaud's Aussies. Sounds like a very entertaining series.

Also wish there had been more footage available of Dean Jones's amazing 210 (highest score by an Aussie in India) in Madras against the Inidans in 86. batting for over 8 hours in extreme heat, hurling up on the side of the pitch, on a drip at night. Regarded by many as the guttsiest innings ever by an Aussie.

SirShire

First Grade
1. Steve Waugh's 102 vs Eng, SCG 2003
2. Matthew Hayden's 380 vs Zim, WACA 2003
3. McGrath's 8/38 vs Eng, 1997
4. Steve Waugh's twin centuries at Old Trafford in the 1997 Ashes
5. Matthew Elliott's 199 vs Eng 1997
6. Glenn McGrath's hatrick vs WI
7. Famous Dean Jones/Merv Hughes partnership
8. Shane Warne's ball of the century
9. Stuart MacGill's 12/107 vs Eng 1999
10. Andy Symond's 143* vs Pakistan, 2003

There are a few personality clashes up there too!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ive got another good moment, but it wasnt in the Australian team.

2002, NSW Vs England a D/N at SCG. Steve Waugh came to the crease when NSW needed 30 or sumthing runs to win. Slater had scored a ton and Bevan had scored a 50. Then Steve Waugh, belted the 3 most incredible sixes I have ever seen. It was such a great moment, cause Waugh was left out of the 30-man world cup squad, and Waugh's innings that finished off the match, stuck it right up the selectors.

I wish I was old enough to watch the great clashes between Australia/West Indies in the 70s and the 80s.

Red Bear

Referee
On and Off the field of what ive seen

1.Steve Waughs ton
2.Steve Waughs lap of honour and farewell
3.Mcgraths Hattrick
4.World Cup 99 semi final
5.Steve and i think Mark Waugh leaving England on unbeaten centuries
6.Bevens 4 in Sydney
7.Ponting 2003 year batting
8.Mcgraths ten wicket hall at the SCG a few years ago
9.Warnes bowling before he injured his should against England
10.Greg Blewett and Steve Waughs partnership in South Africa.

Watching Richard Hadlee tear them a new asshole in the 80's. Especially Dean Jones who had a mega-big gob and used to shit talk Sir Richard.....but the messiah used to get him out every time. Bond's efforts run a close 2nd.

SirShire

First Grade
Meh. Deano has always had a big mouth, thats probably what cut his career short IMHO.

I don't like him for what he did to Big Merv.

Azkatro

First Grade
All these are personal memories off the top of my head...

Big Merv's 13 wicket haul against the invincible Windies in 1989, which was pure heart.
Boony's magic catch at silly mid-on to net Warney his first ever test hat-trick.
AB's 7-46 haul against the Windies in 1989 which won them the match.
Bevo's last ball boundary against Hooper to beat the Windies.
Deano's 145 off 136 balls against England in 1990... the signature innings of a man who revolutionised the one-day game.
Big Merv's exercise antics at the one day match which got the MCG crowd going.
Steve Waugh's catch behind the sidescreen against the Windies back in the late 80's / early 90's in a one-dayer.
The semi-final against South Africa in the 1999 World Cup.
Queensland finally winning their first Sheffield Shield.
Andy Symond's brilliant and long overdue innings against Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup.

PB

Bench
Azkatro said:
Steve Waugh's catch behind the sidescreen against the Windies back in the late 80's / early 90's in a one-dayer.

The year was 1989, The batsmen was Roger Harper, the bowler, C. McDermott. We won the match by about 8 runs. One of my all time favourite games. Steve was named man-of the match almost solely on the back of that catch.

And you can't mention Symo's world cup ton with out mentioning Punter's dig in the final. Although with all the sixes, some may not have appreciated that innings (see "Gilchrist is boring" thread for more on that one! ;) )

Azkatro

First Grade
I mentioned Symonds' innings as a good moment for me as a Queenslander because I'd know he was capable of that for a long time, and to see him finally do it was a really great moment. Trust me - I watched Punter's innings and it's not far off the list at all.

The Colonel

Immortal
1. West Indies Lose their Cool - Port of Spain April 1995 - Steve Waugh standing toe to toe with Curtly Ambrose. West Indies may have won that match but they lost the series and the dominance over Australia.

2. Steve Waugh 200 against the Windies - Grim, ugly and desperate is the only way to describe this innings. However from ugly things beautiful things grow!

3. 1999 World Cup - Match between Sth Africa and Australia - Gibbs drops Steve Waugh (and the World Cup) who goes on to smash his maiden one day century and take Australia into the semi finals and the tied match with South Africa that got Australia through!

4. 1987 World Cup Final - The game that turned Australia from the clowns to the kings of one day cricket. And we beat the Poms!

5. 1989 and the Ashes comes home! - Having been beaten 2-1 in the previous Ashes series in Australia no one held an ounce of hope for the team that left in 1989. Australia came home with the Ashes.

6. Waugh - 157* v England 2001 - Waugh shouldn't have been playing in what was to be his last Test in England. He was carried off on a stretcher in Trentbridge but 19 days later he came out and said goodbye to the English crowd the only way he knew how!

7. Bevan's last ball four at Sydney - I was in the crowd and had been ready to head for home. Bloody glad I didn't. One of the best one day matches I have ever watched live.

8. Steve Waugh 102 v England Jan 2003 - I sat in my lounge room with shivers running up my spine. I've watched the DVD over and over again. It still sends shivers up my spine. Enuf said!

9. Big Merv's Hat Trick - Poor bugger didn't even know he had it.

10. McGrath's Hat Trick and 300 Wickets What a way to bring up 300.

PB

Bench
psst, Colonel. You're not by chance a StevW augh fan are you.... ;)

Speaking of, what about the 385 run partnership between he and Greg Blewitt in South Afirca in 89! Waugh scored 160 odd and Blewitt a double ton. The partnership was almost chanceless and was a record breaker. It was fantastic to watch and helped Aus to a win by an Innings and 196 runs.

The Colonel

Immortal
:-$ ..... don't tell anyone OK. But yeah the Blewett and Waugh partnership was pretty good. I though Waugh's bowling in that series was better though....

PB

Bench
I should clarify that i meant 97, not 89, as Sth Africa weren't playing in 89 obviously. But i don't remember Waugh having any big bowling successes in that tour. It was the Series where Bevan was used as a bowler and they clung to his success against the South African tail and continued to use him for too many tests after that series.

The Colonel

Immortal
My mistook. :mrgreen: Right country wrong series - 1994 he took 86 runs and 5/28 in the second innings to win the Test match. He was MOM and POS in that series.

1997 Bevan cleaned up the tail with 4/32 in the second innings and Waugh was 1/4 - Blewett and Waugh were Men of the Match.

Latest posts