What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 players not to watch our for in 2009

Guys, welcome to a new season. Ive been down at Ashfield RSL counting the hours to kickoff. there are alot of dubious campaigners still wielding the willow in 2009. During my playing days I used to look at certain players in my own team tackling bags during the pre season and know instantly that they would provide nothing to the team that season. It was my job as professional to ignore them and continue to strive to improve my own game. I never let them bring me down

1. Bryce Gibbs - Gibbs stormed onto the scene as a baby faced 18 year old with no brains. Six long years later he is still a baby faced imbecile whose 3 big headlines have been dodging cab fares, assaulting policeman and getting knocked senseless by that slug known as the Ogre. Should be working at Captain Snooze selling pillows

2. Joe Galvao - Big Joe was a cult hero in 2003. Since those heady days he has become a veteran of the bush football scene. Making a less then memorable return for Parramatta tonight, Joe will eek for 65 yards, drop a routine ball and walk from the field and iron his Wentworthville jersey.

3. Shane Elford - The Spud farmer is back in the NRL, and what a coup for David Gallop and Train Tracks Elliott. The lure of Eastern Creek Raceway, Paint ball and a future in Trap Shooting bought Spud back to his spiritual home at the foot of the mountains. Forever a awkward player. Spud will pull off a big shoulder charge, drop a bomb, take an intercept, and get run down by a back rower. All in the same game.

shootingTrap.jpg

4. Adam Peek - Peek now plays for the Celtic Comrades in the ESL. However that won't stop news filtering through about his struggles with the pound. By my watch, every season since 2002, Peek has retired. Only to be given incentive based one year deals by desperate clubs. By mid season Peek has got his calculator out and scratched his large melon. By finals time there is a small article deep inside the sports pages of a crestfallen Peek standing outside his house arms folded. A forlorn look, a mystified kid and his ageing dog Claiming he can't afford to pay the mortgage or feed the dog. Claiming the rubbish run at 5 am every morning keeps him putting bread on the table. Look out Adam, The Panthers are circling.

5. Ben Rogers - His left foot step raised a few eyebrows last season. Notable those Brian SMith and Rodgers was jet setting down the F3 to save the fledgling Knights. My scrapbook notes tell me he was failure at Souths and Penrith, and my scrapbook is predicting similar pitfalls and failings in 2009. Save for a couple of left foot steps.

6. Corey Hughes - Cronulla have never been a particularly eye catching team. Last season they are kings of the niggle, the grind, the grubs the chicken wing, the run from dummy half, the penalty the kick for touch, the meat and potatoes style of football. They would do well in the Super 14. IN Hugues they have a grub, a grappler. Repeats of Antiques Road show seem a more attractive proposition then 5.30 kicoffs at a windswept Caltex Field.

7. Laurie Daley - After a season acting as water boy and footy show simpleton on 9's dream team Lozza is back in his comfort zone at Fox. Since his last appearance in 2007 he measurements is that the hair piece fringe has shifted between 5mm and 8mm to the left. Lozza will talk about "Job descriptions", "KPI's", "offense and defence" and continue on his merry way.

daleybk.gif

8. Travis Burns – A terrier, a trier, defends well, a professional, I here you say? So Is John Morris. However when you play in the halves you need to be able to set up a try or two along the way, or even learn to kick. Burns will pull off hit of the year, make a few high shots, backchat, make hitups on tackle 5 that would make Lincoln Withers proud. However he won’t set up many tries and he won’t help the Cows.

9. Peter Mullholland – A controversial selection at number 9. Peter formulated grand plans to rule the coaching world during his tenure as Western Force coach back in the 90’s However since he has become a shadow of his lofty ambitions sitting aimlessly left to John Lang and Matthew Elliott preparing diagrams and cordials at Penrith Park. Now even that has passed him by. He can now be seen calling NSW State Cup games at Windsor Oval. Time is ticking, for a man for dubbed himself the Next supercoach.

10. Dodger – League Unlimited’s most loyal poster. Always signs on for under’s, masquerades as the face of the site with his team sheets, banners and studious and at times over zealous officiating. Dodger won’t change in 2009, there will be a banner to celebrate Todd Payten’s new fluro bikepants, a scuffle when a post regrading PNG league is misplaced, a name change, a change back to Dodger and lastly a determined and spirited efficiency on a Tuesday afternoon when team sheets are provided.

Let the games begin,

cheers guys

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Interesting, Elford has actually been pretty solid for us so far, would rather see Nathan Smith on the list for his 500 tackles, 50 penalties and completely ineffective hitups.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Glad to have made the list. :D

I may be mistaken, isn't Peter Mulholland the Bulldogs recruitment manager now?

Eels Dude

Coach
Adam Peek was the ultimate journeyman. Managed to play a lot more first grade then a lot of other players who were labelled 'superstars' as soon as they made their debut. A real battler and a player with the work ethic and lifestyle of players from the golden eras. We need more blokes like him in the game then these hotheaded drunken youngters who think they're all high and mighty.

aids

Bench
Adam Peek was the ultimate journeyman. Managed to play a lot more first grade then a lot of other players who were labelled 'superstars' as soon as they made their debut. A real battler and a player with the work ethic and lifestyle of players from the golden eras. We need more blokes like him in the game then these hotheaded drunken youngters who think they're all high and mighty.

thanks Adam.

i'm suprised Eric Grothe Jnr or Hegarty wern't included

super_coach

First Grade
Good first hit up Croydon, as the previous poster eluded to Heagerty deserved a few lines but their are plenty of nuffties running around, you cant give them all a headline. Anyway cdf not so long between posts in 2009 we need a laugh or two

Godz Illa

Coach
I thought Ben Rogers would've vanished without a trace after round one... Is it true the local Newcastle comp have introduced their own tough visa restrictions to keep him out?

Paullyboy

Coach
I thought Ben Rogers would've vanished without a trace after round one... Is it true the local Newcastle comp have introduced their own tough visa restrictions to keep him out?

:lol::lol:

This thread is the best thread we've had at LU for a while

paullyboy, i wasn't signed as the marquee back in 2005 to sell fairy floss. whilst i make less contributions these days because of an overall drop in standards of league unlimited posters i still like to pop my head in.

nqcow, march was always a time my fitness levels were down and the only sandhills i was running up were the ones that led to the local watering hole.

however by april and march and with rep football around the corner i raised my game. my left hand offload and ruck defence became pivotal factor in games down in Oberon.

Last edited:

brooksy19

Bench
Nice Hit Up CDF.

But lately your postings have reminded me of Paul Sironen circa 1996-97.

One Post every 6 months = 1 x Sirro Ten Min Stint .. which were few a far apart.

Lift your game and try and provide us with atleast one insight per week.

Regards,

Your loyal servents @ LU.

perverse

Referee
1. Bryce Gibbs - Gibbs stormed onto the scene as a baby faced 18 year old with no brains. Six long years later he is still a baby faced imbecile whose 3 big headlines have been dodging cab fares, assaulting policeman and getting knocked senseless by that slug known as the Ogre. Should be working at Captain Snooze selling pillows
i think you'll find his stats were very good last week.

ben rogers should be hung, drawn and quartered though.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Good to have you back in the fold CDF.

Say, are you looking at having a run in the Forum Sevens this year? We could use some more talent...

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Guys, welcome to a new season. Ive been down at Ashfield RSL counting the hours to kickoff. there are alot of dubious campaigners still wielding the willow in 2009. During my playing days I used to look at certain players in my own team tackling bags during the pre season and know instantly that they would provide nothing to the team that season. It was my job as professional to ignore them and continue to strive to improve my own game. I never let them bring me down

2. Joe Galvao - Big Joe was a cult hero in 2003. Since those heady days he has become a veteran of the bush football scene. Making a less then memorable return for Parramatta tonight, Joe will eek for 65 yards, drop a routine ball and walk from the field and iron his Wentworthville jersey.

3. Shane Elford - The Spud farmer is back in the NRL, and what a coup for David Gallop and Train Tracks Elliott. The lure of Eastern Creek Raceway, Paint ball and a future in Trap Shooting bought Spud back to his spiritual home at the foot of the mountains. Forever a awkward player. Spud will pull off a big shoulder charge, drop a bomb, take an intercept, and get run down by a back rower. All in the same game.

shootingTrap.jpg

4. Adam Peek - Peek now plays for the Celtic Comrades in the ESL. However that won't stop news filtering through about his struggles with the pound. By my watch, every season since 2002, Peek has retired. Only to be given incentive based one year deals by desperate clubs. By mid season Peek has got his calculator out and scratched his large melon. By finals time there is a small article deep inside the sports pages of a crestfallen Peek standing outside his house arms folded. A forlorn look, a mystified kid and his ageing dog Claiming he can't afford to pay the mortgage or feed the dog. Claiming the rubbish run at 5 am every morning keeps him putting bread on the table. Look out Adam, The Panthers are circling.

5. Ben Rogers - His left foot step raised a few eyebrows last season. Notable those Brian SMith and Rodgers was jet setting down the F3 to save the fledgling Knights. My scrapbook notes tell me he was failure at Souths and Penrith, and my scrapbook is predicting similar pitfalls and failings in 2009. Save for a couple of left foot steps.

6. Corey Hughes - Cronulla have never been a particularly eye catching team. Last season they are kings of the niggle, the grind, the grubs the chicken wing, the run from dummy half, the penalty the kick for touch, the meat and potatoes style of football. They would do well in the Super 14. IN Hugues they have a grub, a grappler. Repeats of Antiques Road show seem a more attractive proposition then 5.30 kicoffs at a windswept Caltex Field.

7. Laurie Daley - After a season acting as water boy and footy show simpleton on 9's dream team Lozza is back in his comfort zone at Fox. Since his last appearance in 2007 he measurements is that the hair piece fringe has shifted between 5mm and 8mm to the left. Lozza will talk about "Job descriptions", "KPI's", "offense and defence" and continue on his merry way.

daleybk.gif

8. Travis Burns – A terrier, a trier, defends well, a professional, I here you say? So Is John Morris. However when you play in the halves you need to be able to set up a try or two along the way, or even learn to kick. Burns will pull off hit of the year, make a few high shots, backchat, make hitups on tackle 5 that would make Lincoln Withers proud. However he won’t set up many tries and he won’t help the Cows.

9. Peter Mullholland – A controversial selection at number 9. Peter formulated grand plans to rule the coaching world during his tenure as Western Force coach back in the 90’s However since he has become a shadow of his lofty ambitions sitting aimlessly left to John Lang and Matthew Elliott preparing diagrams and cordials at Penrith Park. Now even that has passed him by. He can now be seen calling NSW State Cup games at Windsor Oval. Time is ticking, for a man for dubbed himself the Next supercoach.

10. Dodger – League Unlimited’s most loyal poster. Always signs on for under’s, masquerades as the face of the site with his team sheets, banners and studious and at times over zealous officiating. Dodger won’t change in 2009, there will be a banner to celebrate Todd Payten’s new fluro bikepants, a scuffle when a post regrading PNG league is misplaced, a name change, a change back to Dodger and lastly a determined and spirited efficiency on a Tuesday afternoon when team sheets are provided.

Let the games begin,

cheers guys
Where has CDF got to? Is a third party deal needed to tempt him back to LU from Superleague?

Latest posts