What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10-year test

BG

Juniors
Knights' 10-year test
By Barry Toohey
March 22, 2007

IN a stunning statistic which underlines the massive challenge facing Newcastle tomorrow night, it has been almost a decade since the Knights won an NRL game when both Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus have been missing.
That day, they toppled South Sydney 26-8 at the Sydney Football Stadium with Brett Clements at hooker and Leo Dynevor playing halfback.
Since then, Newcastle has played on 12 occasions without their celebrated dynamic duo, losing all 12 matches.
It is a statistic which won't engender a lot of confidence among Knights fans on the eve of the clash with the Dragons at Oki Jubilee Stadium.
While it could be argued they beat the Bulldogs without Buderus and without Johns for all but four minutes of last Sunday's clash, Johns' absence was countered by the fact the Bulldogs played a man short for that same period following Sonny Bill Williams' send-off.
Buderus still has two games to serve on a suspension suffered late last season while Johns is still recovering from the Williams' hit.
Neither player was aware of the statistic last night but both are adamant the Knights have never been in a better position to break the hoodoo citing a pre-season win over the Sharks when both were missing as further evidence.
"The boys have just taken so much confidence out of the Bulldogs game," Buderus said.
"Given what happened, most teams would have crumbled after losing their captain and chief playmaker like that.
"It was a great sign the way they fought back and I just think we are a bit more well-equipped these days to win without key players like Joey.
"We were great out of dummy half and with Kurt (Gidley) and Jarrod (Mullen) there now running the show, we can cover a lot better."
Johns will travel with the team to Sydney tomorrow but says he is no chance of playing against the Dragons because of doctor's orders despite returning to light training duties early yesterday.
He lifted some weights and did a circuit session but claimed he was still feeling the affects of the tackle.
"It's improving all the time – I'm slowly getting there but taking things fairly easy," he said. "Given what the boys did in the circumstances to come back against the Bulldogs will give everyone a lot of confidence going in against the Dragons."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21422410-5006066,00.html

roopy

Referee
Which only goes to show what a great turnaround it was last week to win without those guys, and also with Mullen playing at half pace in the second half.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I read that article in the telegraph and it's a crock of sh*t. We've played like twelve games in ten years without both of them on the field. Yes, we've lost all of them, but if you looked at each game individually you'd probably see a different story. Who else was injured on a given day? What kind of form were our opposition in going into the game? Hell, three or four of those came during our record losing streak - a streak that continued even with them on the field.

It was a slow news day and the 'one man team' shtick doesn't fly anymore.

knightsyeah12

Juniors
I cant wait till people realise that we can win without Johns, we've been 5 from 5 when he's been out. As for beds being out i think we have replacements that are able to do the job. i just hope we beat the dragons and that shuts people up once and for all.

Agreed CWB, people like flinging that sh*t at us but they normally dont count other reps that are missing + regular first graders missing.

Or especially the nevilles like Mueller and Tanner that we've had to live with

roopy

Referee
Timmah said:
:) I are annoying.

Go S B W :crazy:
My favourite memory of SBW was when he used to terrorise the Flegg ranks with his size and habit of picking out little blokes and flattening them (legally).
I particularly remember us bringing up a second rower from SG Ball to play prop opposite SBW in Flegg and our younger guy spent the whole game hunting SBW and smashing him.
I look forward to the next time Kade gets to line him up.

Bicey_18

Bench
Beep Beep Richie

Wonder if he will give the bird to any of the newy guys 2nite...

TSS will get Richie!!!

chinorocks

Juniors
I am sure the vast majority of the games they refer to we're when Joey and Bedsy we're unavailiable due to Origin. In that case the article fails to mention we we're usually without 2 or 3 or sometimes 4 or 5 of these guys as well:

Robbie O
Tahu
M.Gidley
Mad Dog
Simmo
Hughesy
BK
Perry

Hardly a F*cking surprise that our record sucks without them when most of the times there not there we're also missing our other big guns.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
No matter what we say people are gonna say that we are a one man side. Although they won't admit it and fight to bitter end what i'm about to say, its true. There jealous.

Hurriflatch

Referee
looks like the problem wasn't the fact that the Knights can't win without Johns and Buderus but that certain coaches can't coach without them.

Once you got Brian Smith to the club the hoodoo is broken

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
looks like the problem wasn't the fact that the Knights can't win without Johns and Buderus but that certain coaches can't coach without them.

Once you got Brian Smith to the club the hoodoo is broken

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know Joey technically 'played' last week, but given he went off after three minutes, why didn't that win count as one without him and Buderus?

Latest posts