What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100 ball cricket

Eelectrica

Referee
I wonder who is the first genius who is gonna come up with and promote 61 ball cricket

thats right, everyone bowls an over - except the keeper he bowls the last delivery

You could easily play 4 back to back games - what a feast of entertainment

You would stack your side full of Bisons , Nuggets, Rigs and Big shows...
61 balls still seems much to long for a game of cricket with the attention span of kids today.
I think Dean Jones stumbled across the answer when he declared the team that wins the 18th over wins the game. So we just play the 18th over. As for overs 1-17, just hand wave them they don't matter anyway since it's all really about winning the 18th over.

Of course what game of cricket doesn't have a gimmick these days, it's just not cricket without a gimmick.

The gimmick is every person on the team bowls one ball during the 18th over (Yes MS Wade, even the Wicket keeper has to bowl) If the bowler takes a wicket he/she gets to ball another ball, so it will be possible for a bowler to take a hatrick.

Battle Royale's are popular with the kids these days so what forward thinking cricket administrator would fail to work BR mechanics into the game. Batsmen must hit a boundary when on strike or they're out, bowler doesn't get credit though for a batsman being dismissed by failure of hitting a boundary. Can't have the game running too long. 1's and 2's can still be run of course, it's just that the striker is out after running.

King hit

Coach
This concept just sounds like such rubbish. Twenty20 is a successful and fun format. We don't need more of this sort of thing. In an 100 ball innings you wouldn't even complete an over, are all the bowlers just required to bowl 25 balls each or something.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Devastating :rolleyes:

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/18417528.hundred-moved-2021-due-coronavirus-pandemic/

The Hundred moved to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic

THE inaugural season of The Hundred has been postponed for a year after the England and Wales Cricket Board decided the ongoing coronavirus pandemic rendered the launch unviable.

The new 100-ball competition, featuring eight city-based franchises rather than the traditional 18 counties, was due to begin in July but will now be pushed back to the summer of 2021.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

tumblr_mn06x1J9Nc1ri1l41o1_640_465_465_int.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
To be perfectly honest, with the world sporting situation the way it is now, me and every one of you would have watched every single ball of this if it had somehow gone ahead...

_snafu_

Immortal
To be perfectly honest, with the world sporting situation the way it is now, me and every one of you would have watched every single ball of this if it had somehow gone ahead...

I would have perhaps begrudgingly watched it - due to lack of content.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
High octane power surge x factor action.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...s/news-story/2d80aef9af946b1af5dc91ef7a8a3b37

For some people, it’s just not cricket.

England is shaking things up with its new domestic competition The Hundred and the changes keep coming.

The tournament — which goes even further than T20 by limiting teams to just 100 balls per innings — will change the name of “wickets” to “outs”, in a bid to simplify the sport’s terminology and attract new fans, as reported by UK publication The Telegraph.

It’s a revolution that’s too tough to digest for some cricket traditionalists, who may already be sceptical about the radical overhaul to established rules for the tournament’s inaugural edition later this year.

Former Australian star Brad Hodge gave a blunt appraisal on Twitter. “This is s**t,” he said.

Sports writer Glenn Moore added: “As a lifelong cricketer I think the idea of calling wickets ‘outs’ [for the Hundred] is patronising and dumb. But does it make cricket more accessible?

“If so, should tennis do away with 15-15, love, deuce and all that sets and games nonsense Should golf dump birdies and bogies?

“My personal view is no. The lexicon of a sport is part of what it makes it distinctive, part, even, of its attraction. The more you learn the more you become an insider, it is like a rewards system.

“Simplifying something doesn’t always make it better.”

Jack Mendel called it “utterly, utterly nonsensical semantic bollocks”.

“It almost feels like they are trying to de-cricket, cricket. They are trying to ensure that this new audience that’s supposedly going to tune into the Hundred, is basically an audience that has zero interest in cricket. They like crisps, perhaps?” he tweeted.

“To this end, I completely get why someone like me, an actual cricket fan, doesn’t understand [or like] the idea of the Hundred. It’s not aimed at me. BUT, and it’s a big but, there is not room for 4 formats. Something will have to give.”

Ex-England captain Michael Vaughan weighed in on social media, asking his followers for their thoughts.

“So it’s going to be ‘Outs’ rather than ‘wickets’ for the #Hundred tournament!!! What do we all think? Too much change or pretty cool?? #Cricket,” Vaughan tweeted.

Cricket writer Isabelle Westbury isn’t a fan, while fellow reporter Elizabeth Ammon also pointed out a problem with the name change when it comes to other formats like Test and one-day cricket.

Additionally, the term “batsman” will be replaced by “batter” in the men’s tournament, in alignment with women’s cricket.

A spokeswoman for The Hundred said “nothing’s been finalised”, but added: “The Hundred is designed to make cricket accessible to everyone, and research shows that the language of the game can sometimes be a barrier.

“Along with our broadcast partners, we want the Hundred to open cricket up to more people, as well as entertaining existing fans, so we’re discussing the clearest ways of explaining the game.”

Bowlers in The Hundred will be able to bowl blocks of five or 10 balls in a row, and can deliver a maximum of 20 deliveries per innings.

The women’s tournament kicks off on July 21, with the men’s edition starting on July 22

They should’ve called ‘Wickets’ ‘Roots’.

There’s Pat Cummins...he had four ‘roots’ today’

‘Four ‘roots’? Wow! That’s an amazing effort!’

And ‘batters’ could be ‘bullies’, ‘sloggers’ , ‘dashers’ and ‘rope ticklers’ . Tail-Enders could be ‘dotters’. Bowlers are ‘Ubers’.

‘That Ishant Sharma and Josh Hazelwood are deadset ‘Dotters’. Can’t ‘slog’ or ‘rope tickle’ for shit!’

‘David Warner is such a bully. Slogger deluxe’. Talkers fave though. Maximums and rope tickles galore.

‘That Elyse Perry likes a good rope tickle. Couple of good roots too.’

That Trent Boult ubers another Audi after flossing Kohli for 17 the hexa before.

Glenn Maxwell...rooted! Piss taker and felcher too. Typical!

Glossary:
A maiden over could become an Audi.
An over is a hexa.
Bowled - a flossing.
Leg bye - a leg bunt.
4 - rope tickle.
Run out - A grinding...
example - took too long and was short of his ground. Rooted? Oh no...ground out.
A six a maximum.
Commentators are talkers.
Reverse sweep - pisstaker
Ramp shot - the felch.

tumbidragon

First Grade
'Super action news cricket' is going to be hella lit and hip fellow cricket fanclubers! Can't wait to see all the outs n stuff.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its really being pushed on social media atm, don get all the fuss, not really much different to T20.

20 balls difference, big f**king deal