What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

Dragon David

First Grade
Renouf: No spoon for you - Dragons revival leaves me with egg on my face
Author
Steve RenoufBroncos legend
Timestamp
Thu 15 Apr 2021, 12:56 PM
renoufsteve-head.png

Anthony Griffin deserves credit for what he has done to turn St George Illawarra around this season.

To be totally honest, I didn’t expect it.

At the start of the year when asked who would be my prediction to be the 2021 wooden spooners, I nominated the Dragons.

It goes to show you what a bad judge I am sometimes. You have to hand it to the Dragons, they are playing really well.

I’m actually enjoying watching the Dragons play footy and I didn’t think I would ever say that.

Griffin has really turned the club around and they’re playing totally different footy to what we’ve come to expect from them the last couple of years.

He has the players relaxed. You can see with some clubs – like Brisbane for example – there is so much tension in the club and it shows on game day.

Their heads drop faster, they don’t have confidence to play what is in front of them and in the end they just stick rigidly to their structure.

Something that has emerged in the first five weeks of the Telstra Premiership is that the teams who are willing to play a bit of football and play what is in front them rather than stick just to their structure are the ones having success.

Penrith are a great example of that and so too are the Titans.

The players have free rein to just play it as they see it and you can see it in the way they go about their business that the players are embracing that style.

At the Dragons it seems a bonding session over a few beers helped break the ice with the players and got them to relax.

One of the players said they’d never had that before and I thought ‘wow you guys have been missing out.’ It’s good to have a bit of old-school back in rugby league.

Griffin has brought back his own past and reunited his three former Broncos under 20s players in Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Andrew McCullough.

With Josh McGuire joining the Dragons this week, that will be four ex-Broncos at the club.

All of them have had their critics in recent years, but certainly McCullough, Norman and Hunt seem to be playing good footy under Griffin again.

What stands out to me at the Dragons has been their defence. They are just in your face and jamming blokes.

Wayne Bennett was always big on defence. All the best coaches are. The last couple of weeks the Dragons just seem to frustrate the opposition out of the game.

To do that last week to the Eels, out there at Parramatta, was a huge statement.

The Dragons were simply relentless and Griffin has got them fired up to just go out and beat teams with their defence.

When Griffin’s time ended at Penrith there were questions about how he would go if given another chance in the NRL.

I’m actually enjoying watching the Dragons play, I didn’t think I'd ever say that.

He almost got to a grand final with the Broncos and had the Panthers on the right track when he was sacked in 2018.

Both his former clubs played in grand finals soon after Griffin left so it says something about what he can build at a football club, it just remains to be seen if he can take a team all the way.

The big question now for the Dragons is that we’ve seen them start a season like this many times before. They have been known to start well and then drop away during the season so this will be interesting.

This will be a new test for Griffin. Can he keep them up and firing? That’ll be his big challenge.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/15...ragons-revival-leaves-me-with-egg-on-my-face/
We just take one game at a time and not get too ahead of ourselves. Improve where needed for the next games. Make sure that all players are fit for each game and if there are the slightest niggles with any players, then don't play them. Proper management of the team is essential and ensure their minds are on the job for every game. They are my thoughts.

TruSaint

Referee
We just take one game at a time and not get too ahead of ourselves. Improve where needed for the next games. Make sure that all players are fit for each game and if there are the slightest niggles with any players, then don't play them. Proper management of the team is essential and ensure their minds are on the job for every game. They are my thoughts.

Yes mate.

Long season, lets see what pans out.

Nice to see some recognition, but hope we stay under the radar.

getsmarty

Immortal
renouf_20210416.jpg

PEARLS OF WISDOM

Renouf: No spoon for you - Dragons revival leaves me with egg on my face
Author
Steve Renouf Broncos legend
Timestamp
Thu 15 Apr 2021, 12:56 PM
renoufsteve-head.png

Share on social media
Anthony Griffin deserves credit for what he has done to turn St George Illawarra around this season.

To be totally honest, I didn’t expect it.

At the start of the year when asked who would be my prediction to be the 2021 wooden spooners, I nominated the Dragons.

It goes to show you what a bad judge I am sometimes. You have to hand it to the Dragons, they are playing really well.

I’m actually enjoying watching the Dragons play footy and I didn’t think I would ever say that.

Griffin has really turned the club around and they’re playing totally different footy to what we’ve come to expect from them the last couple of years.

He has the players relaxed. You can see with some clubs – like Brisbane for example – there is so much tension in the club and it shows on game day.

remote.axd

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Their heads drop faster, they don’t have confidence to play what is in front of them and in the end they just stick rigidly to their structure.

Something that has emerged in the first five weeks of the Telstra Premiership is that the teams who are willing to play a bit of football and play what is in front them rather than stick just to their structure are the ones having success.

Penrith are a great example of that and so too are the Titans.

The players have free rein to just play it as they see it and you can see it in the way they go about their business that the players are embracing that style.

At the Dragons it seems a bonding session over a few beers helped break the ice with the players and got them to relax.

One of the players said they’d never had that before and I thought ‘wow you guys have been missing out.’ It’s good to have a bit of old-school back in rugby league.

Griffin has brought back his own past and reunited his three former Broncos under 20s players in Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Andrew McCullough.

With Josh McGuire joining the Dragons this week, that will be four ex-Broncos at the club.

All of them have had their critics in recent years, but certainly McCullough, Norman and Hunt seem to be playing good footy under Griffin again.

What stands out to me at the Dragons has been their defence. They are just in your face and jamming blokes.

remote.axd

Dragons players react to McGuire signing

Wayne Bennett was always big on defence. All the best coaches are. The last couple of weeks the Dragons just seem to frustrate the opposition out of the game.

To do that last week to the Eels, out there at Parramatta, was a huge statement.

The Dragons were simply relentless and Griffin has got them fired up to just go out and beat teams with their defence.

When Griffin’s time ended at Penrith there were questions about how he would go if given another chance in the NRL.

I’m actually enjoying watching the Dragons play, I didn’t think I'd ever say that.

He almost got to a grand final with the Broncos and had the Panthers on the right track when he was sacked in 2018.

Both his former clubs played in grand finals soon after Griffin left so it says something about what he can build at a football club, it just remains to be seen if he can take a team all the way.

The big question now for the Dragons is that we’ve seen them start a season like this many times before. They have been known to start well and then drop away during the season so this will be interesting.

This will be a new test for Griffin. Can he keep them up and firing? That’ll be his big challenge.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/15...ragons-revival-leaves-me-with-egg-on-my-face/

Gareth67

First Grade
Good on you Steve , at least you are one of the honest ones .

Defense was always the Dragons problem for many a year under ‘ he who shall not be
mentioned ‘ , but as Renouf has said Griffin is turning that around .

I recall a remark by Gus ‘ the human football ‘ Gould made when calling a game that the Dragons were playing back when Bennett was coach - “ their defense reminds me of a boa-constrictor that squeezes the life out of the opposition “ , well said Gus !

If Griffin can have the same degree of success with our defense , then the Big Red V will certainly be close to a semifinal berth this season .

Last edited:

redv13

Bench

Defense was always the Dragons problem for many a year under ‘ he who shall not be

I recall a remark by Gus ‘ the human football ‘ Gould made when calling a game that the Dragons were playing back when Bennett was coach - “ their defense reminds me of a boa-constrictor that squeezes the life out of the opposition “ , well said Gus !

If Griffin can have the same degree of success with our defense , then the Big Red V will certainly be close to a semifinal berth this season .
Defence is all attitude. So far since round 1 it’s been a massive step forward compared to the last 2 seasons. Aggression, line speed, numbers in the tackle. Clearly the players are responding to our new coaching staff and game plans. Keep it up fellas!!

Silly I know but I can’t get away from thinking anything Gus says about Saints is tainted with agenda. Gives us a wrap before playing his Warriors. Before Bennett came he would mock our attacking style and soft underbelly by consistently calling us “the pretty dragons”. Bennett comes and toughens us up and we were “boring”.
Yeah ..... jog on Gus

Gareth67

First Grade
Silly I know but I can’t get away from thinking anything Gus says about Saints is tainted with agenda. Gives us a wrap before playing his Warriors. Before Bennett came he would mock our attacking style and soft underbelly by consistently calling us “the pretty dragons”. Bennett comes and toughens us up and we were “boring”.
Yeah ..... jog on Gus

O.W.T.S. - he made that remark a good 10 years ago when he was still a bit of a charmer and had some common sense about him .

In fact I recall Ray Warren saying to him after the comment “ how the mind simply boggles at the idea Gus “ . :relaxed:

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hook in Guys!!!! He can't coach for shit and your club deserves him, what a perfect match
The same hook that brought all the Panthers through including Cleary who was considering joining the Tigers? Yeah nice try mate. He’s just doing the exact same thing with us he did at Penrith and Brisbane. Building a top 4 side, it’s a shame he wasn’t around to see the job through though as both clubs choked without him in the big dance.

Smug Panther

First Grade
The same hook that brought all the Panthers through including Cleary who was considering joining the Tigers? Yeah nice try mate. He’s just doing the exact same thing with us he did at Penrith and Brisbane. Building a top 4 side, it’s a shame he wasn’t around to see the job through though as both clubs choked without him in the big dance.
Nope was all built before him. The 1 thing he did do was play Nathan earlier than his dad would have

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Nope was all built before him. The 1 thing he did do was play Nathan earlier than his dad would have
Credit where it’s due mate, Hooks fingerprints are all over that side. He let go Moylan, Seggy, Soward to name few and none kicked on although there was protest at the time. He’s doing the exact same with us. Anyway goo luck in the GF hope you don’t choke again. I’ll be cheering you guys on knowing the input our coach had.

BLM01

First Grade
Hook in Guys!!!! He can't coach for shit and your club deserves him, what a perfect match
Not sure Ivan get can get you the big prize either..similar to Brian Smith
Ivan inherited a great squad but he ha failed twice when it comes to the big stage.
Just hope his decision to rest his star players does not come back to bite
Now you are chasing the Storm again
Hope the wobbly wheel does not affect what a good squad you have on paper

Original Name

Juniors
Not sure Ivan get can get you the big prize either..similar to Brian Smith
Ivan inherited a great squad but he ha failed twice when it comes to the big stage.
Just hope his decision to rest his star players does not come back to bite
Now you are chasing the Storm again
Hope the wobbly wheel does not affect what a good squad you have on paper
It was a freak of run to go that far with that Warriors team. Maloney and SJ played something like 25 first grade games put together when they played in the gf. It's unheard off.