What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

Illusion

Bench
Not sure Ivan get can get you the big prize either..similar to Brian Smith
Ivan inherited a great squad but he ha failed twice when it comes to the big stage.
Just hope his decision to rest his star players does not come back to bite
Now you are chasing the Storm again
Hope the wobbly wheel does not affect what a good squad you have on paper
The difference from Penrith to the Storm is if they lose one or two of their main players they struggle ..... Storm can lose any player and who ever fills in does the job .....

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, I will say, I think Griffin is doing a great job.
There's more to being a first grade coach than what happens on match day. There's a lot of behind the scenes management that goes on relatively unnoticed.
When he arrived Nov 1, he inherited a poor roster, disgruntled players, zero culture and nepotism. These don't take 7 months to fix.
As I said, our roster is unbelievably poor, no balance between the ageing group and the youngsters group ie: not many in the, what I would classify as, the 'in their prime' group, those 25-28 yrs old.

Take our forward pack as of Nov 1 last year:
Lawrie - 23
JDB - 29 (although not registered)
Ford - 22
Kerr - 24
Vaughan - 29
Sims - 30
Merrin - 31 (since retired)
Fuimaono - 24

No-one between 25-28

Since Nov we've signed:
Poasa - 24
Ellis - 24 (late re-signing)
Maguire - 31
Macca - 31
Alvaro - 28
Molo - 26 (27 when he joins us next year)
Burns - 22
JHunt - 22 (T & T contract)

The signings of Macca and Maguire are culture based and education of young players based. Molo the only one who fits the "prime" target. Alvaro will be 29 next year (although he's playing like he's 39 imo).

Pretty easy to see Hook's plan here. Most of our 'young' brigade are entering the prime zone next year. Inc: Lawrie, Molo, Poasa, Kerr, Fui and Ellis (if re-signed). With some further developers in Ford, Burns and JHunt. Mix this with the experience, although aged legs, of Macca, Maguire, Vaughan and JDB, and the formula is basic progression. No doubt a further "prime" prop or two wouldn't go astray either. I think Hook also seems some future for some talented forwards in JF and KOE Cup (JF players playing KOE Cup I mean), again we look at progression.

It's almost the same formula with the backs, although I think now they are maturing faster and their 'prime' is an extended period of time. Hence, the recent announced departures of Duff and Norman. Periera seems to have been given the tap also, and I think Williame and Beale are playing for contracts. Fullback remains a mystery and I'm not convinced of Ramsey being our long term custodian.

The rebuild has started, it's not going to be popular for some, but the aim is longevity and sustained success. The days of the 'flash in the pan' will become a thing of the past.

Nicholas Kosic

Juniors
There's more to being a first grade coach than what happens on match day. There's a lot of behind the scenes management that goes on relatively unnoticed.
When he arrived Nov 1, he inherited a poor roster, disgruntled players, zero culture and nepotism. These don't take 7 months to fix.
As I said, our roster is unbelievably poor, no balance between the ageing group and the youngsters group ie: not many in the, what I would classify as, the 'in their prime' group, those 25-28 yrs old.

Lawrie - 23
Ford - 22
Kerr - 24
Vaughan - 29
Sims - 30
Fuimaono - 24

No-one between 25-28

Since Nov we've signed:
Poasa - 24
Maguire - 31
Macca - 31
Alvaro - 28
Burns - 22

The signings of Macca and Maguire are culture based and education of young players based. Molo the only one who fits the "prime" target. Alvaro will be 29 next year (although he's playing like he's 39 imo).

Pretty easy to see Hook's plan here. Most of our 'young' brigade are entering the prime zone next year. Inc: Lawrie, Molo, Poasa, Kerr, Fui and Ellis (if re-signed). With some further developers in Ford, Burns and JHunt. Mix this with the experience, although aged legs, of Macca, Maguire, Vaughan and JDB, and the formula is basic progression. No doubt a further "prime" prop or two wouldn't go astray either. I think Hook also seems some future for some talented forwards in JF and KOE Cup (JF players playing KOE Cup I mean), again we look at progression.

It's almost the same formula with the backs, although I think now they are maturing faster and their 'prime' is an extended period of time. Hence, the recent announced departures of Duff and Norman. Periera seems to have been given the tap also, and I think Williame and Beale are playing for contracts. Fullback remains a mystery and I'm not convinced of Ramsey being our long term custodian.

The rebuild has started, it's not going to be popular for some, but the aim is longevity and sustained success. The days of the 'flash in the pan' will become a thing of the past.
I'm about to give up my religion

getsmarty

Immortal

Lawrie - 23
Ford - 22
Kerr - 24
Vaughan - 29
Sims - 30
Fuimaono - 24

No-one between 25-28

Since Nov we've signed:
Poasa - 24
Maguire - 31
Macca - 31
Alvaro - 28
Burns - 22

Well Said.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Hi All,
This is my debut post so please don't ragdoll me to much. As a dragon supporter since early 70's there have been some highs but plenty of lows. Especially the last few years. I believe Griffin is a great signing and I am looking forward to how he takes us forward. His decisions on Norman and Dufty show he is on the same page as the majority on this forum. The BBQ episode whilst unfortunate might just prove to be a blessing in disguise. The players should be in no doubt that d..khead behaviour won't tolerated. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of the young guns Sloane, Amine and Sullivan getting more game time to be ready for next year. Go the mighty red V.

Smurf

Juniors
Hi All,
This is my debut post so please don't ragdoll me to much. As a dragon supporter since early 70's there have been some highs but plenty of lows. Especially the last few years. I believe Griffin is a great signing and I am looking forward to how he takes us forward. His decisions on Norman and Dufty show he is on the same page as the majority on this forum. The BBQ episode whilst unfortunate might just prove to be a blessing in disguise. The players should be in no doubt that d..khead behaviour won't tolerated. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of the young guns Sloane, Amine and Sullivan getting more game time to be ready for next year. Go the mighty red V.
Welcome aboard

I started in the 70’s too

agree with your comments

hopefully we can find a Changa , Billy Smith , Goodwin , Rocket in our youth

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Hi All,
Welcome...nice to see some new blood on here....you make some good comments

blacksafake

First Grade
Hi All,
Welcome to the nut house.
Good post.

Como Connection

First Grade
Hi All,
Enjoy mate.
CC

denis preston

First Grade
Hi All,
Welcome KK. Gets a bit hot on here at times but if you play the ball & not the man and don't have a chip on your shoulder you should be right !

thebigredv

First Grade
Seeing how it's another week with no watch-worthy replay, I thought you may instead enjoy flicking back to the first 3 or 5 pages of this thread.

Makes for very interesting reading in hindsight.

With the 3 strongest teams still to play, Griffin's first season will end us lower and arguably with fewer prospects than before.

His players keep letting him down and yet he will be stuck coaching them next year. I reckon this time next year we are looking for a replacement.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Seeing how it's another week with no watch-worthy replay, I thought you may instead enjoy flicking back to the first 3 or 5 pages of this thread.

Makes for very interesting reading in hindsight.

With the 3 strongest teams still to play, Griffin's first season will end us lower and arguably with fewer prospects than before.

His players keep letting him down and yet he will be stuck coaching them next year. I reckon this time next year we are looking for a replacement.
Red V, it may be a case that Griffin pulls the plug himself next year. He was doing pretty well as a commentator, and without the stress of coaching this rabble. Many believe that a parting of the ways will be at our instigation. Perhaps not.

When you take the emotion out of the cold hard facts are:

i. He inherited a dispirited group, many of whom had to endure years of that idiot McGregor;
ii. As a result of Point i above, the roster and associated salary cap is bent well out of shape and will not start to get realigned to next season (Norman, Vaughan, Dufty gone) and then properly by 2023;
iii. We were the most notable victims of the Magic Round hysteria about high tackles, enduring ridiculous suspensions. Granted though that Fuimano's was well deserved, but whilst I am not a fan of McGuire he should never have been suspended;
iv. We still did not have DeBelin until June;
v. And to top it all off, Vaunghy went and had a BBQ, which another 11 of the moron's thought would be a great idea to attend;
vi. Our most destructive ball carrying back (Rava) appears to be targeted regularly now to the point we have to consider if he is worth persevering with.

If I was on the BOD's I would be arguing that there is no way we could objectively judge Griffin's performance given all of the above. It has been a season from hell, of which very little to none of it could be rationally attributed to Griffin.

Let's hope he gets some clear air in 2022 and can start to see some upwards trajectory.

thebigredv

First Grade
Red V, it may be a case that Griffin pulls the plug himself next year. He was doing pretty well as a commentator, and without the stress of coaching this rabble. Many believe that a parting of the ways will be at our instigation. Perhaps not.

i. He inherited a dispirited group, many of whom had to endure years of that idiot McGregor;
ii. As a result of Point i above, the roster and associated salary cap is bent well out of shape and will not start to get realigned to next season (Norman, Vaughan, Dufty gone) and then properly by 2023;
iii. We were the most notable victims of the Magic Round hysteria about high tackles, enduring ridiculous suspensions. Granted though that Fuimano's was well deserved, but whilst I am not a fan of McGuire he should never have been suspended;
v. And to top it all off, Vaunghy went and had a BBQ, which another 11 of the moron's thought would be a great idea to attend;
vi. Our most destructive ball carrying back (Rava) appears to be targeted regularly now to the point we have to consider if he is worth persevering with.

If I was on the BOD's I would be arguing that there is no way we could objectively judge Griffin's performance given all of the above. It has been a season from hell, of which very little to none of it could be rationally attributed to Griffin.

Let's hope he gets some clear air in 2022 and can start to see some upwards trajectory.

Agree with all you have stated here and remarked a couple weeks ago he would be one of the few coaches to walk at the end of his contract.

I think the players have already broken him. If he can keep clearing out over the off-season and next year at least he would have played a role in a brighter future.

Rating out coaches since the JV…. I wonder where Griffin will end up …

Mine in order…

Bennett

Daylight

Waite
Brown
McGregor
Farrar
Price

I’m hoping he pulls this disaster together like us all, but I’m not confident.

Realistically at the absolute best I think he could match brown. But we are years and years off pulling together a squad like that again. Where I think he’ll end up?

With Farrar, Above Price.

And it won’t just be his doing. Ryan Webb comes across really well but apart from him, I have zero confidence in the effectiveness and influence of our management. It smacks of self-protectionism and fawlty-towers strategies…

Bennett got what he wanted… ran the ship. Doust got him in. Doust is back, will he pull off another coup like this?

I’m hopeful but doubtful. I think a Bennett-eque coup is the only thing that’ll see us back at the top of the table any time this decade…

Kolum Kid

Juniors

Great post Rob Dragon. Who'd want to be a head coach. I just hope he doesn't subscribe to this forum because it wouldn't be any help to him.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Rating out coaches since the JV…. I wonder where Griffin will end up …

Mine in order…

Bennett

Daylight

Waite
Brown
McGregor
Farrar
Price

I’m hoping he pulls this disaster together like us all, but I’m not confident.

Realistically at the absolute best I think he could match brown. But we are years and years off pulling together a squad like that again. Where I think he’ll end up?

With Farrar, Above Price.

And it won’t just be his doing. Ryan Webb comes across really well but apart from him, I have zero confidence in the effectiveness and influence of our management. It smacks of self-protectionism and fawlty-towers strategies…

Bennett got what he wanted… ran the ship. Doust got him in. Doust is back, will he pull off another coup like this?

I’m hopeful but doubtful. I think a Bennett-eque coup is the only thing that’ll see us back at the top of the table any time this decade…
BBJF, it is just my own subjective bias but for mine McGregor is not only the worst coach we have ever had, but the most destructive person to have stepped foot in our place. Top to bottom a rotten apple.

Price and Farrar were dreadful but presented as more decent human beings then McGregor.

Whilst I agree that another Bennett type appointment would lift us it is not the fundamental change we require. Broken record, broken record, broken record.... but until Gordon, Doust, Young and Co are removed and replaced with credentialed directors with significant corporate expertise (as distinct from football experience) we will never climb the ladder.

BBJF, it is just my own subjective bias but for mine McGregor is not only the worst coach we have ever had, but the most destructive person to have stepped foot in our place. Top to bottom a rotten apple.

Price and Farrar were dreadful but presented as more decent human beings then McGregor.

Whilst I agree that another Bennett type appointment would lift us it is not the fundamental change we require. Broken record, broken record, broken record.... but until Gordon, Doust, Young and Co are removed and replaced with credentialed directors with significant corporate expertise (as distinct from football experience) we will never climb the ladder.
Opinions are opinions , that’s fine. No surprises people hate McGregor. I don’t one bit. The bloke basically dedicated his life to the Steelers, then dragons in the JV. He was never malicious hateful selfish or and negative traits I can think of. “Rotten apple”… wow…

But the post is who did the best in order. Not “liked” or otherwise. My list is based on where a coach took over and how far they took them.

Bennett got a great team but like scaling Everest, they couldn’t get up the “Hilary step”… he did. Club went up with him.

Brown got a decent but disjointed side. Then blessed with a burst of talent he got them places as a rookie coach. He got them to the Hilary step but they couldn’t go any further. That said, the club went up with him.

I loved Waite for what he did in 96. We think now are the furthest depths the club has plummeted to, has nothing on the start of 96 and he took us to a gf that year. Yes I quoted the NRL era and he got “lumbered” with Farrar. Why we kept Farrar and not Waite afterwards I’ll never know or understand. The club went up with him.

Farrar with Waite got us the the 99gf with a combined team from 2 “well performed clubs”. Still not easy but an embarrassment of riches. Farrar got the nod, Waite leaving. Then as the cap tightened and we had to shed players… we fell away… with all we still did have and the belief in 99 the club could be a powerhouse, we could sustain it. Club went down with him.

Steve price taking over was like going into bat after Bradman…. But he had the advantage of working under the best coach of the time and inheriting an outstanding roster - who because of Bennett now possessed self belief. But it wasn’t to be and only a few years later we wallowed at the bottom. The club went down, far down under him.

And now for most people’s favourite poster-boy, Paul McGregor. He took over, reluctantly, when Price got the boot. We were 13th on the table and a complete mess after winning a gf only a few years before… early years weren’t dazzling but we snagged a finals berth a few years later.. and we’re running red hot in 2018 until mid season. We battled for the rest of the year without our captain Widdop but jagged a finals spot and a whisker away from a prelim final. 2019 and on has been well discussed here… there’s no correct definitive answer as to why… but my opinion has always been it’s never just been because of the coach.

The club went up, then down with McGregor.

But all have had to work under a disjointed, self-interest, proud, protective management team.

I don’t hate any of these coaches. Skill n results are a side issue for me in terms of liking/disliking someone.
They all busted their guts trying to coach our side under all the circumstances they individually had at the time. Similarly I don’t hate Anthony Griffin. I just don’t see that he’s any better than what we had before…. He’s just different.

Dragon David

First Grade
Opinions are opinions , that’s fine. No surprises people hate McGregor. I don’t one bit. The bloke basically dedicated his life to the Steelers, then dragons in the JV. He was never malicious hateful selfish or and negative traits I can think of. “Rotten apple”… wow…

But the post is who did the best in order. Not “liked” or otherwise. My list is based on where a coach took over and how far they took them.

Bennett got a great team but like scaling Everest, they couldn’t get up the “Hilary step”… he did. Club went up with him.

Brown got a decent but disjointed side. Then blessed with a burst of talent he got them places as a rookie coach. He got them to the Hilary step but they couldn’t go any further. That said, the club went up with him.

I loved Waite for what he did in 96. We think now are the furthest depths the club has plummeted to, has nothing on the start of 96 and he took us to a gf that year. Yes I quoted the NRL era and he got “lumbered” with Farrar. Why we kept Farrar and not Waite afterwards I’ll never know or understand. The club went up with him.

Farrar with Waite got us the the 99gf with a combined team from 2 “well performed clubs”. Still not easy but an embarrassment of riches. Farrar got the nod, Waite leaving. Then as the cap tightened and we had to shed players… we fell away… with all we still did have and the belief in 99 the club could be a powerhouse, we could sustain it. Club went down with him.

Steve price taking over was like going into bat after Bradman…. But he had the advantage of working under the best coach of the time and inheriting an outstanding roster - who because of Bennett now possessed self belief. But it wasn’t to be and only a few years later we wallowed at the bottom. The club went down, far down under him.

And now for most people’s favourite poster-boy, Paul McGregor. He took over, reluctantly, when Price got the boot. We were 13th on the table and a complete mess after winning a gf only a few years before… early years weren’t dazzling but we snagged a finals berth a few years later.. and we’re running red hot in 2018 until mid season. We battled for the rest of the year without our captain Widdop but jagged a finals spot and a whisker away from a prelim final. 2019 and on has been well discussed here… there’s no correct definitive answer as to why… but my opinion has always been it’s never just been because of the coach.

The club went up, then down with McGregor.

But all have had to work under a disjointed, self-interest, proud, protective management team.

I don’t hate any of these coaches. Skill n results are a side issue for me in terms of liking/disliking someone.
They all busted their guts trying to coach our side under all the circumstances they individually had at the time. Similarly I don’t hate Anthony Griffin. I just don’t see that he’s any better than what we had before…. He’s just different.
The list of our past coaches from the commencement of the joint venture to now leads me to say that I would place Griffin between Brown and McGregor. I agree with your ratings BBJF with Bennett at the top and daylight between him and Waite and not too far back from Waite, Brown is registered.

How would the likes of Griffin, who I have put behind Brown, and McGregor been rated if the squad of players that Waite had at the commencement of the joint venture were given to Griffin and McGegor during their coaching terms (Griffin of course yet to complete his)? How would Bennett be rating if he had the squad of players that Griffin and McGregor has/had? Somehow, I don't think that that daylight would be that great a gap. But Bennett had the ability to "improve" the players with his good man management skills.

McGregor loved the Dragons. He played great football for the joint venture and if he had have coached the Dragons with the likes of the 2010 team, his rating could have been up there but maybe not to reach the grand final as he would have lacked the man management skills.

To me, much of what coaches are able to achieve is relative to what the club is doing to get the right players at the club. We had Frank Facer who was able to get those great players to sign with the Dragons and because of his astute running of the club, the players wanted to stay. The coaches at the time, several being captain/coach, imo would not have that much work to do as the players themselves were the key to our success rate in that period.

The Storm, which is used a great deal to compare other clubs with, have been able to "attract" many players who show potential and then are coached to play the "Storm" way with obvious great results and Bellamy no doubt would have a sort of manual which sets down all of the criteria each player must do before playing first grade and they must endure strenuous measures to achieve the nod. Cam Smith wasn't "great" before the Storm signed him. He had the potential and they just trained him right to fit into the manual guidelines. So many others as well. In this case it has been the coach and the players were trained to believe in the coach. Once the players know the drill, the coach just sits back and lets the guys do their thing which he has faith in them to do. All he has to do is set the game plans for the clubs they face.

When Billy Slater hung up his boots, no one knew that the Storm had a young fella by the name of Ryan Papenhuyzen waiting in the wings or a Jahrome Hughes ready to take over from Cooper Cronk or Brandon Smith/Harry Grant to take over from Cam Smith. These players all had potential and trained the Storm way. Bellamy has set the "guidelines" in concrete and when he retires, the new coach just has to know the guidelines and do what Bellamy has done for the club for the past umpteen years. So the success will continue.

None of our coaches since Bennett have been able to improve the majority of the players "potential" to the extent of them becoming top consistently playing well footballers. Most still plod along as there is no set "guidelines" for improvement manual, I don't think anyway, for the coaches to apply to the players. If we were able to get a player like a young Cam Smith, would have McGregor or now Griffin be able to "improve" him. I don't think so, because there isn't a system in place for this at the Dragons, I don't think anyway.

Griffin is on a get success quick mission by hiring "experienced" players because of his short term contract. He doesn't have the time to sign players with potential. Maybe if he does have the time given to him, he might be able to do the "Storm" thing. But at this stage I rate him between Brown and McGregor.

Trifili13

Juniors
Agree DD. I also follow Manchester United and it was the same with Sir Alex. He had a system and knew what he wanted. When a striker moved in he went and bought the best one that fitted his system. It was not a scattergun approach.He also had a core group of senior players like the Storm who set the standards. Roy Keane was not everyone's cup of tea and he also did not get on with Sir Alex but Keane knew his role was to make sure the team followed the manager's directions and win games. If you stepped out of line, watch out. I'm sure something similar happens at the Storm. Even though Smith, Cronk, Slater etc have moved in, the current crop saw what was needed and they now set the standard for the next generation. I'm sure this was also the case during the Dragon's golden run in the 50's and 60's.

Latest posts