What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14,094 for a home final?

Parraren

Bench
I haven't exactly been keeping track of the Raiders home crowds this year but I have to say I was a tad worried to see less than 15000 fans turn up to a home final in the NRL. Any reason for such a poor crowd? The game seems to really be losing ground on AFL & Yawnion, especially if we can't even draw decent crowds to our finals games :? I would have thought the place would be packed after the Raiders had a such a strong season?

Matt23

Staff member
maybe the dodgy weather had something to do with it? but still the place should have been packed...shame raiders fans shame.

ortz18

Juniors
yer the main reason was that it was 3 degrees, raining and windy. Meh, all the better for us, les home support means more of a proportion of melbourne supporters.

bucko

Juniors
Apparently they pre-sold over 20 000 tickets for this game, so I think the weather must have played a large part in the crowd.

*Paul*

Juniors
Our three previous finals at Bruce have drawn 10000,16000,and 18000 so pretty much as expected considering what would be low local support for the visitors.
BTW, one of the mildest nights of the year, very comfortable. Even the gloves stayed off.

I think you will find it was the severe storm warning(they had to cheat and bring their friends didn't they? :lol: ) that kept the crowd down. Presale was only 13,000, but the hail and thunder and heavy rain and lightning around and through canberra may have kept the softies at home, whereas the real supporters turned up.

Stevo_G

Juniors
unlucky about the weather, hopefully the other home finals matches get good crowds close to sell outs

Frenzy

Juniors
bucko said:
Apparently they pre-sold over 20 000 tickets for this game, so I think the weather must have played a large part in the crowd.

Doubtful. If they pre sell 20,000 they are under NRL guidelines entitled to announce the crowd as 20,000 as it's the cash that counts not the bums on seats.

Schif_happens figure of 13,000 pre sold is probably close to correct but most likely the exact official crowd figure announced, 14,000+, was closer still.

Then as chesse said even though it looked like only 9,000 they announce 14,000 as those 5,000 tickets were paid for.

Same happens throughout the year with season tickets. You can have a crowd of 5,000 before anyone walks in the gate if you sold that many season tickets :)

Rocky Maivia

Juniors
Aww poor Raiders fans. Half of them got tickets and decided that it was too cold to see their Raiders in a home final. Doesn't make much sense to me. They live in Canberra for Christ sake. They're used to that bullcrap weather and stuff. Too cold and windy? Give me a break!

azza

Juniors
Rocky said:
Aww poor Raiders fans. Half of them got tickets and decided that it was too cold to see their Raiders in a home final. Doesn't make much sense to me. They live in Canberra for Christ sake. They're used to that bullcrap weather and stuff. Too cold and windy? Give me a break!

Fair comment. The people of Canberra have shown themselves to been a bunch of bandwagon dropkicks, considering the form of the Raiders this year (well, most of them.)

Ultima

Juniors
I've been saying all year that the crowds have been pathetic... I don't think this is really news to anyone.... I mean even the only Raiders fan in the Finals TV ad on 9 doesn't come from Canberra (although he was there at the time).....

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Dogs-Warriors got around 18500. Pretty average considring the Warriors, Broncos, Knights, and Panthers could all pull more than that towards the end of the regular season.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Sorry to be so frank, but both the Bulldogs and Raiders should be disgusted with their efforts regarding the crowd.

yappy

Bench
Yeah pathetic. Panthers have done the game proud. Just wish I didn't have to be one of their crowd today. :(

Misty Bee

First Grade
On telly, the Showground looked packed, and the atmosphere sounded great (in the first half at least). The Showground is not a league venue. Canterbury have ballsed up big time in this regard - waiting fruitlessly for the Oasis project which was never going to happen. They should have ben at either a revamped Belmore, or Concord, or elsewhere.

Latest posts