What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'14 - Round 9 v Roosters (Team Lists)

azsportza

Live Update Team
NRL

Key Changes: Blake Austin named as 5/8th in place of Braith Anasta, Cory Thompson comes onto the bench.

1. Kurtis Rowe
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Keith Lulia
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Pat Richards
6. Blake Austin
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods
9. Joel Luani
10. Keith Galloway
11. Liam Fulton (c)
12. Bodene Thompson
13. Adam Blair

Interchange:
14. Martin Taupau
15. Ava Seumanufagai
16. Cory Paterson
17. Sitaleki Akauola

VB NSW CUP

1. Daniel Abou-Sleiman 2. Marika Koroibete 3. Jy Hitchcox 4. Setefano Taukafa 5. Trent Jennings 6. Jarred Farlow (c) 7. Jack Madden 8. Nathan Brown 9. Manaia Cherrington 10. Jack Buchanan 11. Asipeli Fine 12. Kyle Lovett 13. Andy Fiagatusa

Interchange 14. Michael Bullock 15. Sam Hollis 16. Inno Inosesio 17. Sonny Bristow 18. Luke Williams

How the hell does Rowe remain in the team ?How many tackles does he have to miss before he is dropped ?He was partly responsible for failing to stop 3 of the Titans tries.I predict he will make Mitchel Pearce look like Joey Johns this week,elevating Pearce to automatic selection for NSW SOO which will gift QLD another series win !....lol

BrotherJim05

Bench
If Simona was available I would put Simona in place of Rowe. As he is not available, I'm happy with Rowe getting another chance.....for now.

The Rosco

Bench
Glad to see Austin in there . . . and Paterson as well.
Paterson complements the big units we now have so well. Hits hard, and loves an offload.

As an aside . . . 2MMM Sydney has been running ads promoting the game, and they keep mentioning the match-up between Friend and Farah. After the 10th ad, they nearly had me believing Robbie was back !. See what blind hope does to ya ?
You'd think they could get their shit in order.

And lastly . . . grabbed lunch today and the shop had a RLW from 1st May on the table.
I nearly choked on my burger when I read that Benny Elias suggested that all 1st grade players take a $10K pay cut so Benji can come back to the team and we stay under the cap.:lol:
Sort of ironic when you look at the whole Balmain leagues club disaster, and his financial involvement.

Fordy20

Juniors
Agreed. Don't see any point giving any other fullback a crack considering Teddy will be back in a handful of weeks.

Hopefully Fulton and Luani will share the hooking duties and Austin can get a full game in the halves.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Gotta love how Taupau is always talking up the battle with the opposing forwards.

Martin Taupau's Kiwis duel with Waerea-Hargreaves to spill into NRL

Michael Chammas
Published: May 6, 2014 - 7:47PM

After taking his spot in the Kiwis team, Martin Taupau predicts Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will come looking for blood and "try and put me on my arse" when they lock horns on Friday night.

Waerea-Hargreaves, who has played 17 Tests for New Zealand, was dropped by coach Stephen Kearney for last Friday night's Test match against Australia, picking the in-form Taupau over the Roosters enforcer.

The Wests Tigers prop believes Waerea-Hargreaves will come out with a point to prove, but isn't shying away from a mouth-watering personal battle against the premiership-winning front-rower.

"I wouldn't mind it," Taupau said of the prospect of a personal duel with Waerea-Hargreaves.

"I am expecting it, because after the game on Friday when I looked at who we were playing this week, I saw it was the Roosters. I know he's going to come looking for me and try and put me on my arse. I'm going to try and not let that happen.

"He's going to come out all guns blazing. I'm pretty disappointed for him missing out on the Test because I believe he's been one of the form front-rowers in the comp. He's going to come out firing just to prove a point that he should have been picked in the Kiwi team."

Fairfax Media understands Waerea-Hargreaves was dropped because of a perceived inability to transfer his club form to the representative arena, with statistics revealing he was the Kiwis' least effective forward in his past three appearances against Australia.

Kearney instead went with a front-row rotation of Taupau, Roosters' Sam Moa and Melbourne's Jesse Bromwich.

Kearney also looked at Ben Matulino, James Gavet and Sam McKendry, but the trio were all made unavailable for the Test match at Allianz Stadium through injury.

While Taupau is under no illusions as to what to expect against Waerea-Hargreaves on Friday night, he admitted he also had plenty to prove in the battle of the Kiwi giants.

"I always try to get it over the big front-rowers just to prove a point," Taupau said.

"To prove to myself that I can do this and I'm not just here to go through the motions. It's not really about how hard you hit the ground, it's about getting back up and doing efforts on efforts."

Taupua played 21 games in four years at the Bulldogs before linking with the Tigers this year, where he has been one of the club's best players over the first eight rounds of the season.

While he tried to stay loyal to the Bulldogs, he conceded he was frustrated by the lack of opportunity under coach Des Hasler.

"The last couple of years at the Bulldogs I played the loyal card," Taupau said.

"I came up through the ranks and I grew up being a supporter, so I re-signed to play the loyal card. Then times were getting frustrating last year so I had to step back and look at the bigger picture. You only play the game for a certain amount of time.

"I played the first seven rounds last year, then when James Graham came back from suspension and Sam Kasiano from injury, I got pushed to the side. I wasn't too happy and I hit rock bottom, fighting my own demons. But the Tigers put a massive opportunity in front of me."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...greaves-to-spill-into-nrl-20140506-zr5q6.html

magpie guy

Juniors
I know someone said it as a joke in an earlier thread but where the hell is Mighty Mouse playing these days? I reckon Shannon Gallant could come back for a few weeks cameo and would do it for a few cases of beer, mates rates style.

macnaz

Staff member
I know someone said it as a joke in an earlier thread but where the hell is Mighty Mouse playing these days? I reckon Shannon Gallant could come back for a few weeks cameo and would do it for a few cases of beer, mates rates style.

And he wouldnt let us down ... He is currently playing state cup for Newtown Jets I believe.
Id personally have Ritchards 1 and Kori on the wing , even if he misses some tackles he will at least try and also add plenty in attack. Rowe is a joke and being constantly rewarded for not putting in sends the wrong message.

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
Watched Gallant play twice for the Jets. He tried but looked like shit.

He was a system specific player. He suited what Sheens did. He has been a failure everywhere else and would not be worth the minimum wage.

Rowe is bad but at least this will speed up his development and we will know what we have by the beginning of next season

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
I am stunned at how shit Rowe has been.
When the Loltzen comparisons flowed before his debut I was somewhat dubious, but this clown makes Loltzen look like Slater, GI, Jack and Churchill in 1

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rowe is better than Moltzen,

I've seen Rowe catch more than 1 bomb and contest more than 1 bomb.

I've also seen him run the ball back more than once.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Rowe is better than Moltzen,

I've seen Rowe catch more than 1 bomb and contest more than 1 bomb.

I've also seen him run the ball back more than once.

While I agree with you, I haven't yet seen Rowe chime beautifully into the backline and score or setup a try.
Moltzen may of been a lot of thing but he was good at sniffing out a hole.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I agree with you, I haven't yet seen Rowe chime beautifully into the backline and score or setup a try.
Moltzen may of been a lot of thing but he was good at sniffing out a hole.

meh.

For a backup fullback, if I had to choose between someone who can attack good but defend like shit and someone who can defend good enough but attack like shit, I'll take the defensive oriented one every day.

We have plenty of decent attackers in the side, for mine, a back up fullback needs to be able to compete for and catch bombs and clean up grubbers etc.

Granted, Rowe isn't the greatest at this, but he's leaps and bounds ahead of Moltzen in this regard.

Our defence is still an issue. We rank second in attack (only 2 points behind Manly) and 10th in defence. We've conceded 176 points

16th placed Cronulla have conceded 178
15th placed Newcastle have conceded 172

super_coach

First Grade
Moltzen was way in front of where Rowe is at present. Moltzen actually was a good defender and was very good at sniffing out a gap or supporting a half break. Agreed he was average at kick returns and was hot and cold under the high ball, but before he did his last ACL he was close to our best back (in a side playing busted).

Funny thing when he did his first ACL, people were screaming for him to make a comeback in the final series that year. Now Iam not saying he is a world beater, but he is way better than a lot people make him out to be.

The sad thing is we could have kept Mitch Brown for not of lot of money and he would have been great coverage for 1 thru to 4.

As for Rowe he is way off the pace at present and the chooks will target him all night and reap the rewards

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt we are comparing poo with shit here.

Rowe biggest failing is his abysmal positioning. Something Moltzen was barely any better at.

Moltzen's defence was not that great, many tries were scored between him and Ayshford because Moltz would always try and grab a bloke's shoulders and fall backwards. Ayshford remained flat footed, unsure whether to defend the inside, or to move with the sliding defence.

These two pieces of shit defence became a huge weak spot in our defensive line and teams ran at it at will and with success.

Mitch Brown was essentially a second Beau Ryan, who wasn't as good as Beau at covering Fullback, but was an immensely better centre. We should have never let him go.