What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15,000 sold for Wembley

roughyedspud

Coach
top 5 attendances

1 - 44,358 @ suncorp - AUS v GB 2006
2 - 44,324 @ eden park - NZ v AUS & ENG v PNG 2010
3 - 39,200 @ elland road - GB v AUS 2004 (final)
4 - 38,572 @ eastlands - GB v AUS 2004
5 - 36,299 @ suncorp - AUS v NZ 2010 (final)

think thats right?

roughyedspud

Coach
i'm hoping that the relatively low attendances at the challenge cup final & ESL grand final means fans where saving their cash for the wembley double header..

DINGb@T

Juniors
That makes a nice target for the game. 45k. That's the mark to beat.

It's acheivable and will be solid evidence that the game is growing/maintaining its biggest non-World Cup tournament in the face of terrible economic conditions. Anything above 45k will be gravy.

roughyedspud

Coach
thing is lots of people think 45k will be a poor effort cos some how we're supposed to get double what everyone else gets :lol:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
thing is lots of people think 45k will be a poor effort cos some how we're supposed to get double what everyone else gets :lol:

Too true spud.

I think the crowd will be between 45,000 and 55,000.

I hope I'm right in the least, and I def hope I'm wrong with the maximum.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
I was at the Suncorp 2006 game, so contributed to the record crowd. Big crowd, dreadful one-sided game that got so dull the crowd resorted to the Mexican wave. And there's the key to consistently big international attendances - competitive games.

Simo

First Grade
you do remember we beat you the game prior to that don't you?

The odd fluke here or there is no good, consistant peformances in which you are a genuine chance at winning (as opposed to the 'sun shining on every dogs ass once in a while') is what will bring people back to the international game.

Lets be honest, even NZ are not consistant even though they are current WC & 4N holders. We have beaten them in something like 15 of last 17 games (lol just no the finals!!!)

The Newy test happens all to often for any real Int cred.

Scubby

Juniors
Yes, its the last time any team other then NZ has beaten Australia....5 years ago.

Still, doesn't change the fact that that game was terribly one sided. You got hammered.

That'll be the game where Lockyer took at fg at 22-10 (70 mins) cos it was such a one-sided walk over. Get a grip. Australia were too strong for GB on the day but was hardly a flogging.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Yes, its the last time any team other then NZ has beaten Australia....5 years ago.

Still, doesn't change the fact that that game was terribly one sided. You got hammered.

How can you split off New Zealand from teams that have beaten Australia? That makes no sense at all.

roughyedspud

Coach
That'll be the game where Lockyer took at fg at 22-10 (70 mins) cos it was such a one-sided walk over. Get a grip. Australia were too strong for GB on the day but was hardly a flogging.

and australia score a ridiculous final hooter try too

undertaker

Coach
The odd fluke here or there is no good, consistant peformances in which you are a genuine chance at winning (as opposed to the 'sun shining on every dogs ass once in a while') is what will bring people back to the international game.

Lets be honest, even NZ are not consistant even though they are current WC & 4N holders. We have beaten them in something like 15 of last 17 games (lol just no the finals!!!)

The Newy test happens all to often for any real Int cred.

You make some very good points Simo.

Despite the fact that the NZ side has come a very long way since their first major triumph winning the 4 nations back in 2005 (they have won the 2008 RLWC and 2010 4 nations since then, as well as falling short in golden point during the 2006 4 nations final), the difference between the Australian and NZ sides has been consistency. CONSISTENCY has always been a major problem for the Kiwis. Yes, they have the players and talent to win the big games, but games such as the meaningless one-off test in Newcastle don't do any favours for the international game. It's a shame that the sellout crowd at Ausgrid Stadium, which puts Sydney international crowds to shame, was subjected to the rabble that was shown by the Kiwis in the first 20 mins of that match. The only positive from that game was that the sellout crowd will mean that Newcastle will get more tests and big games in the future (Ausgrid is the third largest Australian test venue, behind SFS and Suncorp. AAMI Park had a case as well to host more tests, but I think blew their opportunity when only a paltry 18000 or so turned out to the 4 nations last year, considering the test earlier that year was sold out in bad weather). However, the Kiwis being forced to assemble a side at the last minute with not much training nor preparation isn't going to help their cause.

That is why, regarding Aus/NZ test matches, I'd much rather see the return of the mid year 3-test match series (which hasn't occured since 1995) played after Origin, rather than playing a one-off test in May, and then waiting more than 5 months for another one-off test after the NRL Season. There were some very good test matches during the '89, '91 and '93 series between the two countries. Regarding Aus/Eng test matches, I'd like to see the return of the Ashes, the last being played in 2003. I know many other ppl on this forum have reiterated this same notion, and I acknowledge we will never be able to go back to the format that was conducted during the Old Kangaroos tours, playing all those tour matches against the local sides because money-hungry players would whinge about player burnout, as well as the fact that both NRL and SL seasons run parallel to each other, meaning the only time they could play would be end of year. However, a 3-test match Ashes series (alternating host countries every 2 yrs, like it was up until 1994) has more potential than the 4-nations (soon to be extended to 5-nations in 2014). AGAIN, these are issues the new IC will have to discuss.

And regarding the quote "The Newy test happens all to often for any real Int cred", who could forget that embarrassing display in Wellington back in 2007?

Last edited:

Sam_the_man

First Grade
And regarding the quote "The Newy test happens all to often for any real Int cred", who could forget that embarrassing display in Wellington back in 2007?

Yes who could forget that test when Richard 'the tosser' Silverwood sent off Matai that should have recieved no more than a warning.

undertaker

Coach
Yes who could forget that test when Richard 'the tosser' Silverwood sent off Matai that should have recieved no more than a warning.

:lol:You're not serious, right? That was typical Matai at what he does best (or worst, whichever way you look at it). Committing thuggish acts on the field doesn't make you a tough player.

And on the topic of referees, Silverwood and Ganson (I think that's the name of the other renowned pommy referee) would give a lot of referees in the NRL a run for their money. On their own (since SL only uses one ref), they'd definitely do miles better than the two who officiated this year's NRL Grand Final.

Last edited:

Latest posts