What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16th Team

ParraMatt

Bench
Why not solve the problems with the Gold Coast and Central Coast battle for the 16th team and just put it on the Gold Coast and call them the Gold Coast Bears. Seagulls Leagues could be the Leagues Club.

DIEHARD

----
Because Singo is commited to the Central Coast, he has signed a 20 year lease at Gosford Stadium and has an agreement with the Bears until 2008. So much money has been commited already, it's an almighty mess.

Also Singo is Sydney centric, even though he did own 10% of the Broncos.

Having the Bears on the Gold Coast, solves the Bears being an NRL indentity but it doesn't solve the 2nd most important problem (besides the GC having a team) and that is the Central Coast having a proper club.

Besides the best way for the GC to suceed is to have a fresh new entity. Having a relocated old NSW club may turn people off.

The Gold Coast Bears could have been a reality, but that time has surely past.

eddie

Juniors
Maybe we should have two new QLD teams.

One on the Gold Coast, and one replacing the cynical "franchise" with the american nickname. 8)

DIEHARD

----
It may be a cynical American "franchise" but they should stay. Because in the coming years we can add another Brisbane club and create a bloodthirsty rivalry. We have something good to look forward to! :D

get rid of the term franchise as i think of the capitalist unhealthy mcdonalds when people say this.

the solution is simple relocate melbourne to the gold coast and include the central coast bears as the 16th team.

news limited will pull the plug on melbourne and they will be gone so to make the move now is in their best interest.

Foz

Bench
If the League were really fair dinkum one of South,Cronulla,Easts or Dogs should relocate to the Gold Coast.(too many Sydney based sides).
Manly have the north shore so they should be ok,throw in the Central Coast,other clubs have already merged.
It wont happen but that seems fair to me.

ouwet

Bench
Foz said:
If the League were really fair dinkum one of South,Cronulla,Easts or Dogs should relocate to the Gold Coast.(too many Sydney based sides).
Manly have the north shore so they should be ok,throw in the Central Coast,other clubs have already merged.

mmm Easts and Canterbury??? The biggest drawing Sydney teams :roll: Yeah riiiight mate!! Cronulla should go! St George can cover the Shire :p!
And Cronulla fans don't travel anyways!!!!! Bulldogs averaged over 21 thousand last year! And we cover Canterbuy, Bankstown, Homebush, pretty much Liverpool now and Campbelltown has more Dog supporters then Wests Tigers! The ideal situation is for Balmain and Wests to split! Balmain relocate to Gosford and Wests to annexed by the Dogs :D and the Gold Coast get the 16th team!!!!

EdBurton

Juniors
LebaneseForces said:
Foz said:

mmm Easts and Canterbury??? The biggest drawing Sydney teams :roll: Yeah riiiight mate!! Cronulla should go! St George can cover the Shire :p!
And Cronulla fans don't travel anyways!!!!! Bulldogs averaged over 21 thousand last year! And we cover Canterbuy, Bankstown, Homebush, pretty much Liverpool now and Campbelltown has more Dog supporters then Wests Tigers! The ideal situation is for Balmain and Wests to split! Balmain relocate to Gosford and Wests to annexed by the Dogs :D and the Gold Coast get the 16th team!!!!

I'm pretty sure that Cronulla was one of his suggestions......
Nobody WANTS their team to move, but give him a break, it's not like he was ONLY suggesting your team or anything. Hell, he even resisted putting the Dragons in there to save this sort of stuff and that's not easy for Sharks supporters!

Red Bear

Referee
No Nobody wants their team moved do they, but the Bears put the hand up to move from their home for 90 years to move to the Central Coast didnt they. Of course it pissed off many fans, but the majority got behind it and supported it, helping out the Central Coast area of NSW and with the support of the NRL who pushed and pushed for them to move. What happened when there were problems(not the fault of the Bears it was the f**kEN WEATHER and also f**kEN SUPERLEAGUE)? The NRL suddenly turns around and tells us to piss off. We work hard for the good of the game and at risk to help the NRL and ensure our survival and could the NRL give a shit? No. No people want their clubs to move, so how do you think North Sydney fans feel about all that has happened?
Then of course the Central Coast does have an excellent 20000 seat stadium, huge junior comp and a large fanbase but you know...

Then there is the Gold Coast. 3 failed teams isnt it? Seagulls, Giants, Chargers? Yet lets give them a 4th chance, even tho Brisbane near by will swallow em up like they did the the Crushers. I wouldnt mind 17/18 teams personally(18th team Perth, they need it). But 16th team should definately be the Central Coast Bears.

GAME FIRST

Juniors
I love the bears even as a parra supporter, but the game needs a team on the gold coast. NSW has 10 teams-way too many as it is for each club to grow and prosper. QLD has only 2 teams.
However, the bears should be somehow brought back and how that is very tricky.
My business and sporting nouse tells me that the central coast eventually needs a team so whenever they have room in the future bring the black and reds straight back-even souths through a.jones are sniffing but i think its too late for souths who are going backwards.
If the nrl makes enough money i would have 18 teams but i think they still prefer a long term streamline competition meaning fewer not more teams

Le Rouge

Juniors
If the NRL were serious they would find ways themselves to get the money needed to provide 18 teams.

I would put the Bears in first. Let the Gold Coast build their stadium and admit them in a year or 2 after.

Souths are a lost cause for Rugby League theres no way in hell that they would be a success at the CC. They are battling to stay afloat where they are now. They are going backwards.........just like they have for years.
The CC people just want the Bears

It's a bloody joke that a team like them with no future and nothing to offer the game except the sale of their juniors is in the Comp, while we have better areas in the CC, GC and Wellington loosing out.

I just wish our construction finished on time (thats builders for ya). Then none of this crap would be happening.

DIEHARD

----
This communist spastic wants a world competition yet he believes that RL won't even work in Melbourne. Good luck with your world competition you muppet!

Melbourne Storm forever! :p

markstan

Juniors
Gold coast have proved time and time again that rugby league dosen't work there Brisbane swallows them up well why keep trying if thats the case why not go elsewhere. CC seems ok but apart from the stadium do they have superb facilities etc? plus it is an extra NSW team which would further create inbreeding and may hurt league. Personally Wellington looks the best but there crowds havent been superb and Union would really attack them and make it tough. Out of all the proposals on the table none look excedingly wonderful taking everthing into it. Just wondering can any other proposals be issued say by Perth or something?

DIEHARD

----
Yea the Orcas are in dream land for so many reasons. :lol: :lol:

But Im sure one day they will be in the NRL.

I can't beleive anyone would suggest a light weight franchise when you have RL heartlands like the Gold Coast and even the Central Coast to put teams in. Believe me I want Perth in but not yet, I want the GC in. We have the Storm to look after, let's make sure we support them to the hilt. Im sure if the Storm is successful and then we move on to Perth, it will be alot more benifical. Because people can go "Hey look Melbourne worked."

Macca

Coach
It's not up to us to make Melbourne work though. It's up to Melbournians. If they don't support it then too bad. Move em. There is no way I would want to go the road that the AFL has gone down either. Brisbane are winning the competition every year thanks to the leg up the get from the AFL. It's clearly unfair but it is making AFL popular in SE QLD. When can the good of one team outweigh the good of the other 15 teams though? No wonder Eddie McGuire whinges about them so much.

Would you be prepared to make the same sacrifices for Melbourne? Let them pay their players more in a attempt to make them popular down there? IMO, no.

0neye

The Central Coast is a black hole any side that goes there will disappear never to be seen again,THE GOLDCOAST IS THE GO 8)

Latest posts