What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 teams vying for Super League licenses

shaggy

Juniors
i agree
it would be a disaster if the orcas were admitted in the esl, i have faith in the esl that this wont happen

ali

Bench
Toulouse for mine has to be one side. Catalans will need the rivalry to grow themselves and the sport to the next level. I'm not sure on the other. I'm not convinced the Crusaders are going to attract the kind of crowd of support we would all be hoping for. I think we need Salford, so that we have a presence close to Manchester.

Wakey were massively on the up this year and if they can bring a new stadium to the table probably deserve a spot. Cas, are a great small club, and I wouldn't want to leave them out and potentially turnoff thousands of heartland fans, same with KR, whose ticket sales for this year and away support is brilliant.

So for mine, despite the fact I am firmly an expansionist, I think Crusaders should be the unlucky side to miss out. If they do get the nod, I suspect it may have something to do with potential pay TV subscribers for whoever gets the rights.

bender

Juniors
ali said:
Toulouse for mine has to be one side. Catalans will need the rivalry to grow themselves and the sport to the next level. I'm not sure on the other. I'm not convinced the Crusaders are going to attract the kind of crowd of support we would all be hoping for. I think we need Salford, so that we have a presence close to Manchester.

I think the number of teams needs to stay where it is, unless there are new fields of players. Toulouse expands the player base, and does not use any more than one or two english players, if that. GB is catching australia slowly because of the lift in intensity of their comp, but it still has a little way to go. You can see the lower teams improving, both in terms of crowds and competitiveness, hand in hand. They cant afford to risk throwing this away by bringing in two teams that will simply spread the English talent a little thinner. Toulose will not do this. They must be one team, even if it results in the teams staying the same numbers. They add to much to the competition.

Wakey were massively on the up this year and if they can bring a new stadium to the table probably deserve a spot. Cas, are a great small club, and I wouldn't want to leave them out and potentially turnoff thousands of heartland fans, same with KR, whose ticket sales for this year and away support is brilliant.

It is a really tough decision. Castleford are too small, but have such good support they probably deserve a spot. Hull KR, are a traditionally big club adn also deserve a spot. Their problem is that there doesnt really need to be 2 hull clubs, although since they are getting such good crowds. They probably do deserve a chance. Wakefield also have a good case, as you mentioned. There is nothing in either of them.

So for mine, despite the fact I am firmly an expansionist, I think Crusaders should be the unlucky side to miss out. If they do get the nod, I suspect it may have something to do with potential pay TV subscribers for whoever gets the rights.

Crusaders will not be as succesful as the traditional clubs mentioned, i have no doubt about that. My worry is that thye have budgeted on 5000 average crowds but as nice as that would be, it is unrealistic. They will be a drain for some time, both on average crowd figures and playing numbers. But, you would have to think that it is now or never for the crusaders and if successful they have so much to gain. Also, how do things look, if they actually win the NL1 this year? Unlikely but possible.

The Southern Orcas is hated on here, but they shouldnt be. They are about 100-1 and would almost certainly result in their side going broke, or a switch after 3 years to the NRL. But, they are the best option. They get all there players from NZ and would instantly be a top 6 contender without taking any players from the competition. They give the comp a new pay tv market (or at least large) interest in New Zealand, and to a lesser extent Australia. If there is a bid, and it is financially sound, there is not other option (other than not expanding number of teams or expanding only by toulose).

One other by product which is also important, if they were to pick say Toulose, Orcas and Celtic Crusaders with the last place team relagated (say castleford), that would provide a 14 team competition where all bar London and Celtic would be assured of very good attendances (each team would strive for the 10000 average) and the competition would be as fierce as it currently is, perhaps even a little stronger.

It would also mean that Castleford, Wakefield, Featherstone, Widnes? etc would potentially form a very, very strong NL1. And, in theory, each of those clubs would have the potential to grow, without a massive wages bill and get their own house in order (like the gold coast did a few years ago) and set about putting together a case for them to compete in the Super league in the future.

Toulouse and Crusaders. Simple as. And I'm not just saying that with expansionist blinkers on. We need international competition and these two will help generate that. Plus they will lift the profile of the game nationally and internationally and bring new fans to the game. Why grow SL if that is not the goal?

If crowd numbers are the only measure of success, then by all means pick another northern club.

macavity

Referee
what about that evil j word.... Joint Venture....?

without knowing the history and geography, any chances at all of close-by teams that dont hate each other joining up for a SL franchise.....?

The Tank

Bench
I think they tried that for SL 1 and the fans rejected it. I can't remember the proposed mergers though.

The Tank said:
I think they tried that for SL 1 and the fans rejected it. I can't remember the proposed mergers though.

calder was featherstone, cas and wakefield.

then there was widnes and warrington i think

maybe a cumbrian one - whitehaven, workington

mayeb a few others?

re the calder merger there was a good fans commnent,

wakey is wakey,
cas is cas
stick the merger up your a*s

Quidgybo

Bench
For my money it has to be Toulouse and Celtic - even if it does mean we go into it knowing we'll have to carry the Crusaders for a few years. Toulouse are a no-brainer IMO. As has been mentioned, they crucially allow the comp to expand without diluting the existing English player base. Instead they allow the game to further expand into the still largely untapped French player base while bringing a large fan base of their own and strong financial support. In addition they offer the potential for twice as much exposure for the competition in France and with that an increase in the value of French television rights.

And of course there is the dramatic effect that a second professional club will have on the playing stocks and standard of the French national team. This is key to making France truly competitive in annual competition with the big three in coming years. The local rivalry with Catalans will not only have a positive effect on general RL interest levels and crowd support but will also provide the competition for spots that is so critical to pushing the national team to the next level. With two fully professional players competing in each position, there will be no walk up starters. Selectors will have a choice of players based on form. To make the national squad players will actually have to fight for their spot instead of sitting back in the knowledge that there's no one else they can pick.

The benefits of Celtic are a little harder to quantify. Certainly they will have an effect on the player pool and standard of the Welsh national team but less so than Toulouse for the French. At least in the initial years there will be a heavy import component, both from English playing stocks and further afield, but over time they will be able develop a local player base by virtue of being based in a "rugby inclined" region. Financially they may not be the strongest bid on the table but like London, their monetary value will largely come from the effect they have in opening a new region for television and the effect that has on the rights. It is that likely positive effect on UK television income that will allow us to support the team in the short to medium term for the longer term rewards the team offers.

As a home Bridgend could either by a masterstroke or a curse, but based only on the evidence of crowds for a NL2 or NL1 team, I think it is far too early to make that judgment. The reasoning has merit - base the team halfway between Swansea and Cardiff so that the team can draw support from both major centres instead of just one at the expense of the other. Of course the danger is that they fail to draw support from either. Despite that, I think it is worth persevering with to see how far supporters will travel for a true SL level team as opposed to the lesser competitions they've been offered to date. If, after a few years, it's still not working then we can take the plunge and move to one city or the other. In the meantime we already know we're committing to carrying them for a few years and that their primary short term return is in television rights, not the stands, so it's not much loss anyway.

The Orcas or at least a second professional NZ team are perhaps even more important to the long term future of the international game than either Toulouse or Celtic. We need only look at the Kiwis most recent series against the Lions to see how quickly and how far back the NZ team can slip after losing a few key players with their existing depth and development paths. But logistically a NZ team in a european club competition will be very hard to make work (although not absolutely impossible) but if it fails to capture the NZ public's attention and corporate support then it would have the disastrous consequences of killing not only the team but the long term prospects for a 2nd professional NZ team in any comp. The only way I could see that it could be done is as part of a deal with the NRL to switch the team to the southern hemisphere competition after three or four seasons. As a novel device to help the development of the international game while delaying the introduction of Celtic (or Toulouse) into SL it would be costly, but for a strictly limited term with a clear path forward beyond that, it may not be totally beyond the game's means to support.

Leigh

KiwiStorm

Juniors
RE: The proposed Super League mergers, for Super League I in 1996;

There was:
* The aformentioned Calder (Wakefield, Castleford and Featherstone)
* Cheshire (Warrington and Widnes)
* Humberside (Hull FC and Hull KR)
* Manchester (Oldham and Salford)
* South Yorkshire (Sheffield and Doncaster)
* Cumbria (Barrow, Whitehaven, Carlise and Workington)

They were to enter into a 14 team competition with St.Helens, Leeds, Bradford, Wigan, London, Halifax, Paris and Toulouse (or St.Esteve I think)

deluded pom?

Coach
Why give Salford a spot based on their proximity to Manchester? Although a big city minutes from the RL heartlands there is very very little RL presence of RL in the city itself and unless a concerted development plan is put in place there's unlikely to be any in the near future.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Haven't the Salford council or someone just committed to building a new 12000 all seater stadium for Salford?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I've always been curious about Salford.

On a sociological level, how does it compare ?

A swallowed up satellite city in a much bigger conurbation ?

Would it be like Sudney didn't play RL, but 50 years ago Campbelltown did.. and once Campbelltown got swallowed up by greater Sydney.. the game played couldn't influence the metropolis so to speak ?

Kurt Angle said:
I've always been curious about Salford.

On a sociological level, how does it compare ?

A swallowed up satellite city in a much bigger conurbation ?

Would it be like Sudney didn't play RL, but 50 years ago Campbelltown did.. and once Campbelltown got swallowed up by greater Sydney.. the game played couldn't influence the metropolis so to speak ?

apparently salford is a big city in its own right of around 800,000 people.

lots of man utd fans actually come from salford.

Latest posts