What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Perth doesn't need a partnership with a Sydney side, and should outright refuse one if the NRL tries to force it, but hypothetically if they were forced to choose at gunpoint they'd be mad to pick the Bears over the Jets just on the fact that the Jets aren't demanding home games and seem open to other compromises as well. Basically they're more self-aware, which makes them more reasonable and open to negotiation than Norths.

The thing that's more interesting is that everybody in the establishment from the NRL and broadcasters to wealthy backers seems to agree that there's significant demand for these heritage brands and money to be made, but none of them seem willing to accept the reality that they can't be accommodated by the Telstra Premiership. With the people involved and numbers being thrown around the best solution is obvious to me; look into setting up a national second tier.

That way everybody gets what they want and without the need to merge, relocate, etc. It'd free up way more space for expansion and you could discuss taking the concept further if it's successful in the long term as well.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Anyone got the full article

NRL expansion 2024: John Singleton’s plan to revive the Newtown Jets revealed​

Iconic millionaire adman John Singleton is prepared to stump up “whatever it takes” to see his beloved Newtown Jets return to top flight rugby league.

The push for the Jets to partner with Perth is gaining momentum as the NRL’s path to expansion hots up next week with Singleton firing a shot against fellow would-be returning hopefuls North Sydney.

A key ARL Commission meeting on Wednesday is expected to lay the framework for the NRL’s road to 20 teams with Western Australia firming as the game’s next franchise as early as 2027. PNG are expected to be the 18th team in 2028.

Singleton is preparing for important meetings of his own as he sits down with the travelling Western Australian contingent led by potential Perth investor Peter Cumins and government officials in Sydney where he plans to tell them of his million dollar promise.

“I have a commitment to try and get Newtown back into the competition,” Singleton said. “Sometimes you do things in life because you said you would. This is not for any financial benefit to me. I don’t see it as an investment.

“The future of rugby league is in Perth. It has a great stadium, great fan base, great government, great sponsorship market and allows for a new broadcast market with 2.3 million eyeballs.

“It also has potential of participation levels to follow NSW and Queensland.

“I will do whatever is needed.”

The Jets are on a collision course with North Sydney in the race to form an allegiance with Western Australia. The Bears have made it clear that they too want to return to the NRL with their path back into the competition via a new side in Perth.

It is understood the Western Australian Government’s preference is to form a stand-alone entity however there is support to form an alignment with the Jets. While the Bears have the backing of some of the game’s top brass.

Singleton is busily working with other investors in the hope of reviving the Jets. At least two other industry giants are preparing to come on board and will be part of the crucial meetings next week.

Their potential investments – along with their multimillion-dollar contributions – could make it irresistible for the NRL to ignore the Jets’ case.

Singleton said his significant investment would come with a catch.

“They have to be the Jets,” Singleton said. “Unless it’s the Jets, I’m not interested. I have an obligation to try and bring the Jets back. Newtown is the past, Perth is the future.

“It would be great for the game. The traditionalists and the young people just love Newtown.

“We have so many benefits over North Sydney. I think those points have to be made. They should be made. North Sydney are being silly by being dictatorial in their attitude towards Perth. There is no future in North Sydney Oval or Henson Park … I just wish (Newtown legend) Tommy Raudonikis was here mate. He’d say you can’t have a competition without the Jets.”

Aside from the Jets moniker and the potential to play a home game or pre-season match at either Leichhardt Oval or Henson Park, Newtown are not armed with a long list of demands. They are also in the midst of finalising a pathway program underneath their NSW Cup side.

Singleton, a life member of the Jets, was instrumental in Newtown’s last grand final appearance in 1981 before they were booted from the competition at the end of 1983.

This is not the first time Singleton has tried to revive the Bluebags but at 82 it could be his last.

“We were almost the Central Coast Jets,” Singleton said. “We had conditional contacts signed with 17 top players. We had Origin players, internationals and a $50 million bank guarantee but we were overlooked for the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast has always been a basket case.

“The Jets are coming. Competition is good and if the NRL think Norths are a better fit, it wouldn’t be the end of the world but it would be close to it.”
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...ws-story/53bb1c88a646c38af532496c51f42fcd?amp

“The future of rugby league is in Perth. It has a great stadium, great fan base, great government, great sponsorship market and allows for a new broadcast market with 2.3 million eyeballs.

John Singleton?

More like John Simpleton!

Only a simpleton would say participation in WA could follow Queensland and NSW.

There will not be 2.3m eyeballs in Western Australia following a Perth-based NRL team.

PRS is a shithole.

The Great Dane

First Grade

John Singleton?

More like John Simpleton!

Only a simpleton would say participation in WA could follow Queensland and NSW.

There will not be 2.3m eyeballs in Western Australia following a Perth-based NRL team.

PRS is a shithole.
Really depends what he means by 'to follow'.

If he means that WA's participation numbers could be similar in size to NSW and Qld in the foreseeable future, then yeah, that's silly. But I'm not sure that's what he's trying to say. You'd need him to clarify to know for sure.

Stating the size of Perth's broadcast market is just stating a fact (I think he might be overestimating it though). He's not claiming that all 2.3mil of those people will watch the NRL, just trying to illustrate the potential that exists in the market. It's no different than talking about the size of any other market.

Wb1234

Immortal
Gerry harvey will be one of the other investors with singleton

wouldn’t hurt having a billionaire on board

Will the nrl brush singo twice ?

Vlad59

Bench

If he means that WA's participation numbers could be similar in size to NSW and Qld in the foreseeable future, then yeah, that's silly. But I'm not sure that's what he's trying to say. You'd need him to clarify to know for sure.

Stating the size of Perth's broadcast market is just stating a fact (I think he might be overestimating it though). He's not claiming that all 2.3mil of those people will watch the NRL, just trying to illustrate the potential that exists in the market. It's no different than talking about the size of any other market.
By participation numbers I’d assume he means %. NSW has 120000 players. WA comparatively would have about 40,000. It’s a stretch but not unachievable over time.

Vlad59

Bench

Double

Pippen94

First Grade
All sounding very positive. Perth probable team 18, cumins bid to own the club and a possible partnership if they offer enough. If not going it alone. Wa govt supporting the club with grassroots funding and hbf upgrades.
Of course it’s rugba league so I’m still not getting too excited yet.

Lol, Cumins!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Singo … “the traditionalists and the young people just love Newtown”….

Do they ? The couple of hundred showing up at Henson Park ?

At least he wants to play all the games in Perth though ..

Wb1234

Immortal
Singo … “the traditionalists and the young people just love Newtown”….

Do they ? The couple of hundred showing up at Henson Park ?

At least he wants to play all the games in Perth though ..
Perth red and his other Perth mates want the jets because they average 8972

article does say one game at Henson park or leichardt oval

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Perth red and his other Perth mates want the jets because they average 8972

article does say one game at Henson oval or leichardt oval
You do know the 8972 is an injoke don't you Tiktok?

Article is designed to draw dumb suckers like you in. There will never be an NRL game at Henson Park feebler.

Centy Coast

Juniors
How many of the bears team that won come from ns jnr clubs?

re jets, this could well be a way of them relaunching all jnr sides and women’s sides if singleton is funding it, maybe even with a gosford link up given singletons connections on CC?
Now you are talking about home grown juniors ?, always moving the goal posts,.
I’m just stating 14 NRL Sharks contracted players v 16 NSW Cup Bears contracted players.
C’mon even you have to admit that’s a great effort.
As for NRL players from the Bears system, Kaeo Weekes (Canberra Raiders) actually came from the Bears junior club competition with the Asquith Magpies and Jacob Preston (Canterbury Bulldogs) though a Manly junior came through the Bears NRL Pathways System e.g. Matts, Ball, Flegg, NSW Cup.
Both Jesse Marschke (St George Dragons) and Rueben Porter (Wests Tigers) signed NRL contracts from leaving the Bears NSW Cup side this season.

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors
You do know the 8972 is an injoke don't you Tiktok?

Article is designed to draw dumb suckers like you in. There will never be an NRL game at Henson Park feeder.
The 8972 figure is up at every Newtown Jets NSW Cup home game, it was actually the crowd figure for their last ever home game at Henson Park in the NSWRL in 1983.

Last edited:

Matt_CBY

Juniors
The 8972 figure is up at every Newtown Jets NSW Cup home game, it was actually the crowd figure for their last ever home game at Henson Park in the NSWRL in 1983.
No it wasn’t. That the myth.

the PA announcer just made up that figure.

The real crowd figure in the last match was