Good question, it's hard to say what Sky NZ would pay for a second NZ team.Which offers better value to the NRL and its broadcast partners?
Perth or NZ 2?
In the NZ2 scenario, you would likely get a bump from Sky plus a bump from Australian broadcasters simply because there is an extra game to sell.
In the Perth scenario, you will only get a bump from the Australian broadcasters for the extra game.
Both have pros and cons but Perth seems to make the most sense:
- Perth is the bigger market
- NZ has more readily available talent
- Perth would probably bring more fans and members than Christchurch or Wellington
- NZ2 would draw more away fans to games in Australia (ex-pat Kiwis)
- NZ2 creates another derby in the NRL
- Perth has big money ready to back a bid (which will give the NRL confidence)
- NZ2 would be fishing where the fish are which is the NRL strategy
- Either option would put a little more pressure on RU
- Only the Perth option will attempt to take it to both RU and AFL