What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's what should be happening, but I doubt it ever will.

The sport's too top heavy and there's no way that the NRL can sustain all the markets it needs to without rationalisation or significant changes to the structure of the competition. I also doubt that the comp or culture of the sport will be ready for such significant structural changes, like e.g. conferences or P&R, anytime soon, or will ever accept genuine attempts to rationalise the NRL again.
It’d be good for players that are never going to be good enough for nrl Or are too old for nrl, to still be able to earn some money in a semi pro league. It’s Just a Shame the countries so bloody big and that makes it so expensive!
every thing is heard to be fully focused on the nrl comp and that leaves no room for anything below unless it’s benefitting the nrl directly.

Not sure about Sydney but I don't know if this is true in Brisbane anymore.

I went to a top GPS school and the majority of my social circle went to GPS schools as well. We all played Union and barely anyone I know even watches Union anymore, they are all NRL fans now.
Union is dying in Brisbane. If it wasn't played at GPS and independent schools then it wouldn't be played at all.

MugaB

Coach
Perth has to be the frontrunners out of those three.
Under what bid? Jets....fmd please
Png are front runners, they offer increase in the player pool, and a NZ2 doesn't exist so as far as player talent NZ2 would be the best, perth aren't even at reserve grade level, especially if we are talking about the talent from their affiliate/pirates teams
Realistically Brisbane Tigers or Norths Bears are the far ahead as far as potential clubs, they are just not in "expansion areas" that we think are not represented... as Brisbane and Sydney are already represented enough... well Brisbane could do with more, but we all agree its too soon after the dolphins admission

Personally we could have 3 NZ and 3 SEQ teams added

mongoose

Coach
Under what bid? Jets....fmd please
Png are front runners, they offer increase in the player pool, and a NZ2 doesn't exist so as far as player talent NZ2 would be the best, perth aren't even at reserve grade level, especially if we are talking about the talent from their affiliate/pirates teams
Realistically Brisbane Tigers or Norths Bears are the far ahead as far as potential clubs, they are just not in "expansion areas" that we think are not represented... as Brisbane and Sydney are already represented enough... well Brisbane could do with more, but we all agree its too soon after the dolphins admission

Personally we could have 3 NZ and 3 SEQ teams added
I think Perth is the common sense front runner. PNG is far too risky on so many levels.

Perth Red

Post Whore
we still don’t know what the wa govt is fronting up or what Cummins and his group of interested owners are putting up. We do t know how serious the feds are at funding png or if there is a realistic and sustainable proposal on the table for there. Most
importantly we dont know what the nrls goals and strategy for growth are.

Still far too many unknowns to be sure where club 18 is going.

It’s hard to see nz2 as there’s no interested parties and nrl hasnt mentioned them. It’s hard to see the clubs agreeing to brisbane tigers bid. So that probably only leaves perth or png in all likelihood.

im actually quite surprised bears haven’t gone harder at nz. with no bidders there and the positives it offers it would seem the best hope for them. Maybe the nrl has already told them they aren’t looking there?

I wonder when we will hear from wa govt which bid they are backing? Doesn’t sound too soon as talks with potentials still seem quite preliminary.

flippikat

Bench
You pick your metric to measure success and I’ll pick Mine. Between having more tv viewers or $340million a year more cash to invest in ten game, I know which I’m picking!
Precisely. Having more viewers than your competitor is something - but if you can't transform that into higher revenue than your competitor brings-in, then WHY NOT?

Wb1234

Referee
Precisely. Having more viewers than your competitor is something - but if you can't transform that into higher revenue than your competitor brings-in, then WHY NOT?
If the afl and nrl were stocks the nrl would be a strong buy and afl a strong sell

fundamentals always end up counting in the end

and nrl ratings will just keep growing with new teams and organic growth whilst afl is going backwards or steady at best

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why do people keep feeding AFL Red? You know he's going to bring the most innocuous topic back to his beloved afl.

Back on topic, Perth next, followed by Western Pasifika Porcupines.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane 3 are frontrunners
Can’t see it a) because dolphins are far too early to add another competitor to. Let’s not forget titans started like a house on fire as well. B) news ltd won’t allow it. C) it’d be pretty embarrassing for the game if the nrls idea of expansion is to put two clubs in a heartland region that already had two clubs

however it is Vlandys and we know he has no faith or vision for growing beyond two states so you never know.

I can see nz2 for 19 and brisbane3 for 20 to enter 2030-35.

Pippen94

First Grade
Can’t see it a) because dolphins are far too early to add another competitor to. Let’s not forget titans started like a house on fire as well. B) news ltd won’t allow it. C) it’d be pretty embarrassing for the game if the nrls idea of expansion is to put two clubs in a heartland region that already had two clubs

however it is Vlandys and we know he has no faith or vision for growing beyond two states so you never know.

News own foxtel too!!

Brisbane is only bid with stable & known backers. Tigers been around almost as long as NRL. Reds died when owners lost interest.

Pippen94

First Grade

Let's see on all things being equal scenario. Brisbane 3 will be a demand from broadcasters next go around..

Perth Red

Post Whore
News own foxtel too!!

Brisbane is only bid with stable & known backers. Tigers been around almost as long as NRL. Reds died when owners lost interest.
They also own the broncos. There’s a reason they demanded Redcliffe for club17.

There are no bids, only interested bidders at this time. as you don’t know what the WA bid, or bids, may look like you’re guessing.

Pippen94

First Grade
They also own the broncos. There’s a reason they demanded Redcliffe for club17.

There are no bids, only interested bidders at this time. as you don’t know what the WA bid, or bids, may look like you’re guessing.

So what r u crowing about saying next team is Perth & when there's no bid?!

flippikat

Bench

It's really hard to see Brisbane 3 being the next team, precisely because all the opposition it'd have from the Broncos, News Ltd, Dolphins & Titans.

Latest posts