What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

siv

First Grade
NRL needs to step in and give the north shore to Manly or Easts, or divvy it up...

Your actually seeing the reverse occuring since the changes to NSW Cup, RM Cup

There has been a reimergance of the Newtown district, Mounties taking over Liverpool, Wenty, Cabramatta Hills divy up Parramatta. And a lesser extent St Marys, Blacktown and Windsir in Penrith. And Camobelltown popping up as its own entity

The next expansion will almost certainly be into a new market. NZ2 has been talked about and Perth is an option. It will most likely be one of those two. As impressive as the Firehawks and Jets submissions may have been I don't think they'll go with Brisbane 3 in 2025/6
Which offers better value to the NRL and its broadcast partners?

Perth or NZ 2?

Colk

First Grade
Brisbane will only have one option now for Brisbane 3 and thats is Ipswich. And they are clearly not ready

The others Perth, Orcas and PNG will need long term investments and are subject to government health barriers for the next decade

CC Bears taking in all of North Shore is the logical choice

Is that you Greg Florimo? Seriously has Perth, NZ and Brisbane (even Adelaide) fallen off the map?

Sydney has nine clubs already why do they need a 10th when there are a few struggling already? Particularly when you could encourage Manly or the Roosters to take up that area which would also help them become bigger (particularly Manly)

Another thing to consider: would the price of putting the Bears back in North Sydney worth the potential death of another? Maybe slight exaggeration but we need clubs to become less dependent on NRL grants and this wouldn’t help

Btw I’m not against having the Bears back but just not in North Sydney or CC

Colk

First Grade
So, if that were the case, why should the commission offer a licence to a Perth or NZ2 (who will need more financial support over a longer period) then say another Brisbane team?

It's easy to say that it'll be expanding the footprint of the game, but there's a risk vs reward decision to be made here. Sure, Perth or Wellington would be excellent to have in the competition, but what is the point if they're going to be a financial burden on the game and clubs?

At the moment, it appears as though another Queensland team is the strongest option that will still net the added revenue of a 9th game.

What I'm saying is is that Perth need to show that they're as safe as what another Brisbane team would be.
Everything in life is a risk, particularly capitalism. If you put in the Firehawks/Jets straight after the Dolphins, you could damage them and you could definitely kill/damage the Titans and that would undermine the whole process, it would also give the AFL a leg up. It might do the opposite but putting a new side next to a new side next to a struggling side (still) is definitely not a slam dunk

Last Week

Bench
Hey Lastweek do you think that the Titans/Broncos won’t object to a South Brisbane or Ipswich side in say another 2-3 years? I’m not saying that it was the only reason why the Jets or Firehawks didn’t get the bid but it would naive to think it wasn’t a factor. I can’t see how Broncos/Titans or more importantly News Limited will change their minds
They might. But if the NRL can show that they won't be affected by another team (like they did with the Dolphins) they'll be on board.

siv

First Grade
Is that you Greg Florimo? Seriously has Perth, NZ and Brisbane (even Adelaide) fallen off the map?

Sydney has nine clubs already why do they need a 10th when there are a few struggling already? Particularly when you could encourage Manly or the Roosters to take up that area which would also help them become bigger (particularly Manly)

Another thing to consider: would the price of putting the Bears back in North Sydney worth the potential death of another? Maybe slight exaggeration but we need clubs to become less dependent on NRL grants and this wouldn’t help

Btw I’m not against having the Bears back but just not in North Sydney or CC
Manly will never be the CC as they are land locked on the peninsula with no public transport links to the CC without going through, Easts, Souths, Wests and Parramatta, Norths districts to get to the CC.

Easts will never takeover the North Shore and their attempts at trying to buy their way onto the CC first via Woy Woy LC(which was sold off) and Wyong who rejected them. Wont be long before things change

Easts are much better suited for a relocation to Adelaide

Last Week

Bench
Growth strategy into new markets. Plus risk of over saturation too quickly in Brisbane. I dont really know any business that has growth where there isnt some level of risk attached. Many business gurus will ask whats the risk of not growing? Brisbane3 may look the safer option in the short term but in the long term could prove to be a disaster if the game suffers badly from not having a footprint in major capital city areas.

Harsh reality for the game is it needs to move past its super conservative "must have a pokie den" to be safe mentality or else its on a road to nowhere fast. Its more about does the game have the funds to invest and does it see a strategic imperative to grow into new markets. Id say yes to 1. but lord only knows with 2, especially with Vlandys and his puppet in charge. I wouldnt say Brisbane 3 is strongest option, short term safest option maybe. Given the revenue raising of a 9th game should more than cover a new team and potential start up, short term investment costs, its still a relatively low risk scenario for NRL and there will be no better opportunity to actually take the game into a new market.

Whilst I agree, the fact is is that the game as a whole is still that way. It's not going to suddenly change for the sake of expanding into an unserviced market. My point is is that I think Perth and NZ2 are going to have to present a bid which has the financials that are comparable to Brisbane 3. Thanks the goal for them.

For what it's worth, I do suspect that the NRL are gearing up for Perth. That will be contingent on the Dolphins being established and strong and draw ratings.

From there, the 9th games revenue should mostly be used to support Perth.

And I say Perth over NZ2 because Nine and Fox will pay more than Sky Sports.

Last edited:

ReddFelon

Juniors
Lol at Bears fans holding a march in April. Nobody cares, Bears.

News today out the Gold Coast that the Suns are building an early childhood centre to cater to 200 kids at any time, next to Metricon. These are the moves the AFL makes to move into RL territory, suddenly the Suns brand becomes synonymous with kids education, your kid is 5 and starts going to the Suns learning centre, they go to school and the Suns players show up to do clinics, they go to high school and it's AFL Queensland who run all the clinics and host the SEQ Schools Cup.

The NRL needs to be pushing clubs to be more than just game day entities.

mongoose

Coach

News today out the Gold Coast that the Suns are building an early childhood centre to cater to 200 kids at any time, next to Metricon. These are the moves the AFL makes to move into RL territory, suddenly the Suns brand becomes synonymous with kids education, your kid is 5 and starts going to the Suns learning centre, they go to school and the Suns players show up to do clinics, they go to high school and it's AFL Queensland who run all the clinics and host the SEQ Schools Cup.

This kind of thing reeks of desperation to me... If a sport can't gain popularity from its on field product and has to resort to shoving itself down peoples throats then there is something wrong with it. I realise its about getting young kids to play it, but still...

ReddFelon

Juniors
This kind of thing reeks of desperation to me... If a sport can't gain popularity from its on field product and has to resort to shoving itself down peoples throats then there is something wrong with it. I realise its about getting young kids to play it, but still...
I see it very differently, expanding your identity in the community is a good thing. You want people to think of your brand.

Colk

First Grade
Manly will never be the CC as they are land locked on the peninsula with no public transport links to the CC without going through, Easts, Souths, Wests and Parramatta, Norths districts to get to the CC.

Easts will never takeover the North Shore and their attempts at trying to buy their way onto the CC first via Woy Woy LC(which was sold off) and Wyong who rejected them. Wont be long before things change

Easts are much better suited for a relocation to Adelaide

It is ridiculous. If Manly are unwilling to expand their brand and get more supporters or more precisely unable to because they are totally disconnected from the rest of North Sydney and CC, then they should be relocated.

No other sport in the world has outer suburban sides playing in substandard facilities and which are in a location that is completely inconvenient to anybody but those of that region (that simply means no away supporters to Brookvale and no Manly supporters at away locations)

In makes no sense to have a side that caters to 200k supporters of a region that’s more than a million

Last year I suggested that a Perth NRL club do something along these lines. Maybe the some one from the Suns read the post. 🤔

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s like saying McDonald’s offering kids toys is desperation, it’s called marketing! It’s actually a pretty smart move, builds an asset, generates revenue and gives you the opportunity to have kids from a very young age exposed to your product.

ash the bash

Juniors
Heart says.
18. Western Reds
19. NZ2
20. Central Coast Bears (2 games at NSO)

Reality
18. Western Reds
19. West Brisbane/Ipswich Jets
20. NZ2

Once we hit 20 think we call it a day as far as NRL expansion goes and look to grow game through second tier.

-2 conferences, 2 games against conference rivals with one against other conference to alternate home and away by season.

A mixed finals series or "maybe" Gus's idea of seperate conference finals. Get the Sydney GF etc... I don't think the NRL will relocate a Sydney club and unless one really shits the bed its hard to see any team relocating. Especially with the way the grant is structured now to be above the salary cap.

mongoose

Coach
That’s like saying McDonald’s offering kids toys is desperation, it’s called marketing! It’s actually a pretty smart move, builds an asset, generates revenue and gives you the opportunity to have kids from a very young age exposed to your product.
maybe but the best marketing for any sport is always going to be its superstars. Jordan made basketball a world wide phenomenon in the 90s, Messi and Ronaldo sell more merch than anyone in the world no matter what team they play for. Conor Mcgregor in UFC....

ReddFelon

Juniors
maybe but the best marketing for any sport is always going to be its superstars. Jordan made basketball a world wide phenomenon in the 90s, Messi and Ronaldo sell more merch than anyone in the world no matter what team they play for. Conor Mcgregor in UFC....

Michael Jordan maybe, but Messi and Ronaldo no. They're famous players, soccer was already a worldwide sport before them and hasn't demonstrated any massive growth in the wake of them.

Basketball is actually more popular since the rise of 2K games and the crossover basketball and hip hop culture than Michael Jordan. Most kids in Australia obsessed with basketball don't even play they just like the video games and the shoes.

Colk

First Grade
Fumbleball don’t have any superstars or incredible athletes. It is a strength for them in a sense that they are always going to have a steady stream of players or even with the implementation of a draft or a mandatory vaccine process (seriously what other sports could fumbleball players choose)

It doesn’t help them with regards to marketing through players